Goodbye Jesus

Dont Go To College Or Watch The History Channel.

LastKing

Did any els deal with this problem. People you know told you not go to the college or learn about histroy. I was told I could go to college but I cant take any Scinece class becasue I might learn about evolution (I was already infromed about the subject before I went in) Then I was told at one point that I should not watch things like history channel to learn about religon. I remember dealing with some people who protested a history test book becasue it offended them by simply telling the truth and not cating to the literal view of the bible. I started to think about this stuff again when I came across some more out spoken republiacans. One stands out in mind because he was holding my atteniton for a momment and I thought he made some good points but then he told people not to turst ther liberal college proffsors and had to bring up the G-word. Ture, most college proffsors I delt with so for are leiberal and I notice they push there own politcal views on us but does this not send out red flags? Dont get an education becasue it will lead you away from God?

Anyone els delt with this or somthing simlar?

I graduated high school alongside the pastor's son. I was a fuck-up at the time, although I would go on to start junior college (and now, a few degrees later....). As such, I was prone to such anti-intellectualism. He was going off to Berkeley. I took him aside once and I said "watch out for those professors there. They'll try to lead you astray." He looked at me like I was the biggest dumb-ass ever.

Little did I know that he had been relishing his chance at escape, and he ditched the Jesus thing very soon after going up there from what I gather, although it took him a few years to come out of the closet as it were. 500 miles of distance makes it a lot easier to enjoy your newfound freedom, I'd say, so he was able to avoid detection for a while. And he came back home as rarely as he could possibly get away with.

Anyone els delt with this or somthing simlar?

The entire province of Quebec, Canada... (where I live) was subject to that kind of harrasment. It was the dark ages until what was called, the quiet revolution, happened in the 1960's.

Sadly, that kind of revolution where oppressive religious authority was kicked out did not happen everywhere.

I've run into this so often, and I am never short of being dumbfounded. I mean, these people are arguing with archeology. What must they think, that it's all one big conspiracy?! That all of these archeologists are supporting "the big lie" and covering up the biblical history?

When people tell me that historians and archeology are wrong, I can't help but associate this with craziness. You have to be willfully obtuse to believe that the book of Exodus happened.

And as for evolution, there's only one thing you need to tell them. We have the human genome. We can cross-reference it with that of a chimp.

We win. Period.

Everyone around me encouraged me to go to college before I could even think about getting into preschool, and I picked up watching the History Channel from my mother, who watched it all the time. But anybody who tries to to control you by not allowing you go to college is not worth listening to.

Then I was told at one point that I should not watch things like history channel to learn about religon.

Actually, I generally avoid the History Channel because they are PRO-Christian. And often do shows about many mythological things like they are real history.

Guest Abby84

I haven't heard the history channel one, but I grew up in a home-schooling society where going to college was frowned upon especially for girls. I always found it sad, seeing as there are some girls that I still know that have so much talent and could really benefit from it, but aren't allowed to. They are taught that college is corrupt and could plant seeds of doubt in their minds, plus their place in this world is to be homemakers, wives, and mothers. It really makes me angry and sick to my stomach to think about it.

Hey Lastking. I might have been told this when I was younger, but I'm not certain. The reason we're discouraged of course from learning about science and history, is because once we find out the facts, it causes us to doubt the bible, and in turn Christianity. Dig deeply enough, and we find out we've been fed a bunch of bullshit.

Now I don't believe everyone who tells us to not learn about history and science is doing it to keep us from learning the truth.. Most may truly believe what they've been told, that there's some "evil godless conspiracy created by the devil" to lead the faithful astray. It's the ones who know it's bullshit and try to keep us in the dark we have to watch out for.

This reminds me how once our new youth minister at my parents' church said that whenever his wife had kids, he would get rid of the TV because he didn't want to expose his kids to all the worldly sins on TV because obviously on TV is out to get those innocent xtians. I felt sorry for any future kids of his that he had and it was times like that where I missed when our old youth minister was still in charge (our old youth minister is now the new preacher). Our old youth minister was an ass too but at least he didn't try to keep his children locked in an ivory tower. I also thought it was hypocritical of him to say he would only get rid of the TV when he had kids but apparently it's ok for him to watch sin on worldly TV now.

It's amazing how people have such a weak faith. That they think by learning science, reading a book, or just simply watch a TV program will totally destroy their faith. The fear of outside influence and this unreasonable protection against it, only proves that they are afraid of being proven wrong. Only when you're solid in belief and knowledge can you read, watch, and learn anything and yet keep what you originally had.

It's amazing how people have such a weak faith. That they think by learning science, reading a book, or just simply watch a TV program will totally destroy their faith. The fear of outside influence and this unreasonable protection against it, only proves that they are afraid of being proven wrong. Only when you're solid in belief and knowledge can you read, watch, and learn anything and yet keep what you originally had.

Very true. Read this essay, it touches on this:

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2009/02/men...m.html#comments

Thanks NF,

I loved this comment: "when Christians are the one with an entire industry devoted to assuring fellow Christians that their beliefs are awesome and those who say otherwise are poopy-heads." :HaHa:

When I was Christian, I was evangelizing like crazy for a while. Luckily I never managed to convert anyone, not a single one. Once I was close though, and I was told that when you recommend the Bible to someone who is converted, or about to, then recommend Gospel of John, because it was nicer, easier to read etc. So I did. And his response was: I will read whatever I want in there, because I don't want to be manipulated into reading selected parts. Then I had flashes of the different horrific passages in the Old Testament, and I realized he wouldn't convert by reading all those, so I insisted, and so did he. He was going to read it from the beginning. How funny looking back now, and see how right he was, and how much I was fooling myself.

I haven't heard the history channel one, but I grew up in a home-schooling society where going to college was frowned upon especially for girls. I always found it sad, seeing as there are some girls that I still know that have so much talent and could really benefit from it, but aren't allowed to. They are taught that college is corrupt and could plant seeds of doubt in their minds, plus their place in this world is to be homemakers, wives, and mothers. It really makes me angry and sick to my stomach to think about it.

Don't get me started on homeschooling. Not only do they teach everything in the context of the "The Babble", but it also retards a child's social skills.

We have a church in our community that has acquired 180 acres, and they are building a school on the land. They have further plans for houses, stores, etc.....Sounds like the makings of a cult to me

Don't get me started on homeschooling. Not only do they teach everything in the context of the "The Babble", but it also retards a child's social skills.

We have a church in our community that has acquired 180 acres, and they are building a school on the land. They have further plans for houses, stores, etc.....Sounds like the makings of a cult to me

Christianity is a cult of many flavors, be wary even of the quiet churches in your neighborhoods. While noisy ones build schools, the quiet ones drum up support for the bigger churches to help them meet budget costs or overhead spending. I've actually met home schoolers that use the history channel for part of their curriculum. Some networks may provide free copies, or for a deposit, of their programs, as long as they are returned in good condition, to home schools or public schools. Some home schools and religious groups will bad mouth anything on a PBS channel or provided for by a company the xtians may be currently boycotting.

It is really scarey the amount of power they have in this part of the world

Thanks NF,

I loved this comment: "when Christians are the one with an entire industry devoted to assuring fellow Christians that their beliefs are awesome and those who say otherwise are poopy-heads." :HaHa:

When I was Christian, I was evangelizing like crazy for a while. Luckily I never managed to convert anyone, not a single one. Once I was close though, and I was told that when you recommend the Bible to someone who is converted, or about to, then recommend Gospel of John, because it was nicer, easier to read etc. So I did. And his response was: I will read whatever I want in there, because I don't want to be manipulated into reading selected parts. Then I had flashes of the different horrific passages in the Old Testament, and I realized he wouldn't convert by reading all those, so I insisted, and so did he. He was going to read it from the beginning. How funny looking back now, and see how right he was, and how much I was fooling myself.

My counsler try that with me. When I started to open up to the religon She gave me a copy of the whole NT but no OT. I remember asking "Dont I need the OT to know whats going in the NT" and she avoided the qustion. So I read the NT all the way to the end but not the OT. So with the epxptions of parts like Revalations for the most part I got the image of the God of the bible as a turn the other cheak, nice, forgiving, freindly and fair guy. Till fainly I thought about reading the OT and to this day I am at a lost. God dose not do anything he teaches people to do in the NT and in the OT he is, well let me allowe this guy to explain it for me. Just the frist 52 seconeds are needed.

After reading the OT I started to discover that someone did not want me to read OT frist because they knew I would not like I what I would find so they got me to read the nicer of the two books frist.

Then I was told at one point that I should not watch things like history channel to learn about religon.

Actually, I generally avoid the History Channel because they are PRO-Christian. And often do shows about many mythological things like they are real history.

Well they dislike the channel for the following.

A. The Gnostic Gospels. The fact that they admmited they are real, talked about whats in them and why there not in the bible was eoughf to turn them Off from the Channel. Examples The Gospel of Judas, Gospel Of Marry and other specicals about rejected stories.

B. They had speicals that talked about Islam

C. They felt when they did talk about Christianty that they would lean to the ideas found in Liberal Theism and that Jesus was Teaching enlightment, not Salvation.

D. In the history of Hell and the history of Angels they admit the Christianty religon was inspierd by older religons like Zorostraintism (I know I spelled that wrong)

E. Although they played up the end of the world ideas of Revaltion for ratings they were still upset because becasue they showed the Atheist View point and gaved the Liberal Christians the last word.

I could go on all day. But yeah weird things like this caused the whole Channel to be untrust worthy.

You know I noticed that a while back too. They seem to air a lot of programs about a bunch of "woo" shit.

My counsler try that with me. When I started to open up to the religon She gave me a copy of the whole NT but no OT. I remember asking "Dont I need the OT to know whats going in the NT" and she avoided the qustion.

In Catholic school, there were copies of both the Old and New Testament in the classrooms where the religious subjects were taught. We never once opened any of the OT's. Only the NT's and not often at that. Mostly our RE consisted of Catholic catechism and a lot on church doctrines and the liturgy of the Mass and other shit. In fact in 8 years of Catholic school, I never once saw a Bible except in a bookstore. When I was a kid, the word "Bible" was associated with the thing Protestants carried around with them. My parents certainly never had one in the house.

Go figure.

I've made no secret of the fact that I was initially wanting to head into astronomy until one fateful day they joked about the sacred bible and it confirmed how horrible they all were and that I couldn't work alongside them. So I switched to the "safer" class of geology just to finish out the requirements and that really shook my beliefs (I had to switch to an OEC from YEC).

Way before that my grandma told me that dinos weren't real (in 2nd or 3rd grade when they'd show those old Disney movies in the 70's) and from that point on I never had any interest in dinos and I accepted what others said that dinos were all "planted" to test our faith. I could walk past one in a museum and never bat an eye. Why would I? It was essentially fake. No reason to be impressed by that. I did enjoy the Flintstones though.

mwc

People who are afraid of their faith being broken by knowledge remind me of this picture, namely the "motivation" caption at the bottom.

1234786417050.jpg

When I was younger I loved dinos and wanted so badly to be a paleontologist. But my folks were YECs and I think even at a young age I knew (even though I argued for the YEC viewpoint) that I couldn't be a real paleontologist and a YEC, so I switched to archaeology because I thought that was much safer to my faith (boy was I wrong!). And when I was younger I wasn't allowed to read myths from other cultures, because I think my parents knew that once I did I would put the Bible stories in the same catagories as those myths...and I do.

But my mom is a big proponent of education, so going to college was never an option, I WAS GOING whether I liked it or not.