Goodbye Jesus

What Happened To Music On The Radio?

decafaholic

So I was listening to my favorite morning show on a local station this morning. I had to flip past 3 or 4 Christian stations to get there. We are not lacking religion in Arkansas. So my morning show hosts were entertaining me then the morning show ended and the station manager comes on the air saying "these are trying financial times and we're all having a hard time and even though I know that people around here are doing the best they can and I believe we're going to make some progress, I've decided that what we need to do is turn this over to God. So, I will be asking local pastors to pray for our city on the air." then he announced today's pastor and the pastor prayed on the air for God's blessings and provision and yada yada yada in Jesus name Amen.

Why can't they limit it to the Christian stations?? Why do they have to come on my Top 40 radio station when we were all having such a good time and turn it into a church service? They already play church services all day Sunday! Why not confine it to Sunday??

I screamed my lungs out in the car I was so mad!

People, when desperate, will try anything. Unfortunately most are unwilling to look at the reality; we screwed ourselves, and we need to unscrew ourselves now.

So you ruined it. Now their wish won't come true. I hope you're happy with yourself screwing it up for everyone.

mwc

I don't listen to the radio because of the commercials. Once I was driving to work (a 15 minute drive) and only heard one song the whole way. There wasn't any Christian bs though...

I would have turned the radio off as soon as I heard "God".

Guest Marty

Last time I listened to terrestrial radio on purpose was April 23, 2004. The next day I got my first iPod for my b-day, and I got a car hooker-uper and I never looked back...

I don't really listen to radio,unless its sofaspace.ch

So I was listening to my favorite morning show on a local station this morning. I had to flip past 3 or 4 Christian stations to get there. We are not lacking religion in Arkansas. So my morning show hosts were entertaining me then the morning show ended and the station manager comes on the air saying "these are trying financial times and we're all having a hard time and even though I know that people around here are doing the best they can and I believe we're going to make some progress, I've decided that what we need to do is turn this over to God. So, I will be asking local pastors to pray for our city on the air." then he announced today's pastor and the pastor prayed on the air for God's blessings and provision and yada yada yada in Jesus name Amen.

Why can't they limit it to the Christian stations?? Why do they have to come on my Top 40 radio station when we were all having such a good time and turn it into a church service? They already play church services all day Sunday! Why not confine it to Sunday??

Get a Sirius radio. Seriously. It's the greatest thing ever. The main station I listen to is nothing but filthy, uncensored stand-up comedy 24/7.

My mom drives me to school and every day its a lovely combination of some Christian talk show idiot, Christian shit that shouldn't be considered religion, and Rush Limbaugh/Bill O'Reilly.

I walk to school a lot just to avoid that enlightening start to my day. :P

My dad will either listen to sports talk radio (Q: what's more boring than sports themselves?) or conservative talk shows. Though sometimes he'll let me put it on a classic rock station. There's a really good one in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area called "The Octopus"; I don't know if it's still on the air or whether it's still as good as it was.

Yeah the top 40 stations in my area play a lot of Christian-friendly pop songs. By that I mean stuff like Mindy Smith's Come to Jesus and Los Lonely Boys' How Far is Heaven?

When those songs come on, I just change the station.

I haven't listened to the radio regularly since 103 KDF in Nashville switched to Country about 10 years ago.

OK, for about a year after that when I got "saved" I listened to some crappy Christian music station but that doesn't count.

The better question would be, "What Happened to Music"? And not just on the radio. Since the early 90s, everything has, for the most part, SUCKED. Especially that Goddamn, extremely annoying Rap/Hip-Hop SHIT, which doesn't even remotely resemble real, actual MUSIC.

But that said, I almost never listen to the radio anymore. As with the TV, too many goddamn ads. I can quite literally almost eat a full meal during a goddamn commercial break! I LOVE the "MUTE" button on the remote! There were a few great Rock stations in Houston when I was growing up and a pretty good one I listened to occasionally when I lived in Amarillo, TX ten years ago, but I don't generally listen to the radio anymore. And I can't imagine paying for it. But, when cable TV first came out, that's probably how folks back then felt. Pay for TV? NEVER! But, whatever. I don't generally listen to music in the car during winter. I'm too busy paying attention to the icy, snowy roads. When summer comes around, I listen to great music from the 60s-80s that I burned to CDs. And this summer, I will try hooking up my iPod Shuffle to the car stereo. That should be interesting...

My mom drives me to school and every day its a lovely combination of some Christian talk show idiot, Christian shit that shouldn't be considered religion, and Rush Limbaugh/Bill O'Reilly.

Just like Christians, RightWing Nut Jobs and other uber-conservatives need a constant stream of rhetoric to maintain their belief structure. Apparently they must listen to others agreeing with them constantly to maintain such idiotic beliefs. This is why conservative radio and cable news have a larger audience than their liberal counterparts; liberals don’t need the support of others to maintain their beliefs, they stand on their own merits.

IBF

Nobody's mentioned Clear Channel yet. They're one of the primary culprits for radio having become such shit in America.

In the old days, the first place most people would have heard the Doors was on a local AM radio late night show hosted by some stoned beatnik, a few years before their first big hit. And now....