Goodbye Jesus

Having A Problem With Any Kind Of Prayer Lately...

GraphicsGuy

Just any type of prayer/praying. It drives me crazy.

My boss is a Xian...an excessively hypocritical Xian that hates all other Xians...and he occasionally will spontaneously spit out a, "Lord, help us with this job," kind of prayer.

I have a really hard time voicing my opinion since he's the type of person that doesn't take criticism or disagreement well. Still, I want to say something like:

"If God takes care of our job instead of starving kids in Africa then he needs to get his fucking priorities straightened out!"

I mean, where the fuck does ANYBODY in an industrialized country that has a job, a house, and good food on the table get off asking "God" for any kind of a fucking blessing for anything???

Especially considering that if anyone of us here ask for proof of God through prayer, the answer is: "God is not a vending-machine." So why do they think God is a vending machine when they want him to? Which would be more important, a miracle to help the believer make profit or succeed in his own personal interests, or a miracle which would convert an unbeliever into Christian? Why do Christians think that God prioritize the Christian's selfish needs over the need of convincing another soul and save him from Hell?

Mark these days when I am faced with some Christian ritual, including public prayer, I tend to look at it as bad performance art. That seems to take some of the edge off it.

Just any type of prayer/praying. It drives me crazy.

My boss is a Xian...an excessively hypocritical Xian that hates all other Xians...and he occasionally will spontaneously spit out a, "Lord, help us with this job," kind of prayer.

I'd think I'd be more inclined to say something more along the lines of 'Gee thanks for letting me/us know what you think of our abilities' and if he asks let him know 'Well, you obviously don't think we're up to the task and need to call on your god to take up the slack.' If he tries to wiggle out of it by saying it's not like that or whatever just let him know that it's not a real moral booster when you don't think enough of your own peoples' competency that you think only a miracle will get the work done. If you're feeling really pissy tell him you doubt the "Lord" probably ain't going to "help" him get much of anything done if everyone else left (since work doesn't seem to get done overnight I'd imagine this to be the case and then I'd look first to elves or gnomes since they're the night workers).

I'd say arguing religion/morality is a dead end but arguing the bottom line and productivity makes an impact on most bosses.

mwc

• Super Moderator

Just raise your hands high and start babbling in tongues - loudly.

Just raise your hands high and start babbling in tongues - loudly.

LOL

If God is all-knowing and already knows what we're thinking of, why do we need to pray to him for party favors, anyway?

Prayer does not work for anyone at any time.

I believe more in yoga and meditation and that our minds can do wonderous things, even heal our bodies.

The reason people still pray is because it's stems from their indoctrination as children, it's ritualistic and out of tradition handed down from generation to generation.

George Carlin said it best:

Milliions and millions of prayers are offered daily. It's just a percentage game. Some things prayed for, do come true and others don't.

Christians really feel that if a prayer is answered, then god delivered. If it isn't answered, it was god's will not to answer it at this time. Part of that mysterious god they spew all the time.

They justify their whole existance and belief.

The topic that is prayed for the most, is health, sickness, accidents and near death...etc... They don't pray for anything they know can't be answered because their god won't answer that request.

It's the law of averages that some people recover and others don't. It has no bearing on people praying about it. It happens on it own.

They are so nieve to believe that a major crash of a plane, or a train or bus etc... that kills dozens or hundreds people but spares a few or just one person was a direct link that god spared that person.

Sorry. It's called Lucky or unlucky

You just can't discuss rational thoughts and ideas with irrational people who have never thought for themselves on this particular topic.

The older I get, I'm more convinced how delusional the faithful are.. and this includes everybody from the famous, to the non famous to our relatives.

I would be ok with these people if most of the them admitted they don't know what happens after death, and that they believed that their belief might be true.

But it's their certitude that really gets under my skin and makes me irritated beyond words.

The before meal preayer thanking god for the food always kills me. If god is responsible for that food on the table then he is also responsibile for the people without, determining that they shall have no food. Idiot Christians don't seem to grasp this.

The other thing I don't get about prayer is if everything is happening according to God's will, then when xtians pray to God, aren't they trying to control his will through prayer? Does God control his creation or does his creation control God? And if everything is God's will, how can we have freewill at the same time? And if everything is God's will, why don't they just pray for his will to be done?