Goodbye Jesus

Northern Exposure

FriedVillageGuts

I feeling stunned right now after being inflicted with the worst and most bizarre radio show ever for the last couple of days. I'm working on a job site up in Pond Inlet, Nunavut (which is one of the most northern communities in Canada - Santa's workshop is just over the horizon) and they only have 1 radio station. Over the weekend they have this totally bizarre show that lasts all day hosted by a guy who completely weirds me out. The show is mostly in Inuktituk so I can't understand much but the songs are mostly in English.

So to start with, the songs are mostly "praise and worship" so I know that this is some sort of christian thing (which is annoying to be exposed to). They're usually sung by some girls who must be the hosts grandchildren or something like that (they certainly weren't picked for their musical ability). The host has a call in thing going so you're always hearing the phone ringing and then him answering... and thats it - you don't hear the other side of the conversation. You just hear this guy breathing asthmatically interspursed with him commenting very profoundly (I'm assuming it must be profound from his inflection - he goes almost into a whisper at these times). Then without warning its back to a song... which is often repeated relentlessly... and then cut off just as suddenly as the host comes back (maybe he needed a washroom break).

Now imagine hour after hour of this.

Then suddenly in the middle of this horrendous show comes a song from Roxette or Avril Lavigne. WTF? And then its back to more of the same.

After experiencing a full 12 hour work day of this on Saturday, I brought my i-pod today. Unfortunately I hadn't charged it and it died after a couple of hours. So I had another large dose today. Uggh. I don't think the show is on tomorrow (thank Zeus!) so hopefully I'll recover before next weekend.

Sounds painful! Charge up that iPod!

On a side note, Roxette's The Look pops into my head every so often for no reason. ;-)

Aw man, now it's in my head.

What kind of stuff does the station play the rest of the week? I've always wanted to visit some remote corner of the Arctic like that.

What kind of stuff does the station play the rest of the week? I've always wanted to visit some remote corner of the Arctic like that.

Mostly talk actually (again not in a language I understand) with the occasional song of a genre you can never predict.

Aw man, now it's in my head.

Sorry :unsure: