Goodbye Jesus

Skinner and his pidgeons

Xenoce

B.F. Skinner was a most remarkable man. A psychologist, who creates a well-known device called the skinner box. In it's essence, it is a limited environment with a reward mechanism.

In this case, Skinner had realized something remarkable in his experiments. He aquired an audience to show his findings. It'd take a few hours to complete his demonstration, so he hosted a party, with his pigeons as the main attraction.

He had three cages. One was covered, and would be unveiled at the end of the party, he announced to his audience.

The first, he announced to his audience, he would make spin like a top, counterclockwise, before two hours has passed.

He spent ninety minutes training the hungry pigeon, requiring it to turn a little further every time before he gave it a food pellet.

The second pigeon, he announced, he would make flap it's wings constantly. Same process, different result. The pigeon behaved as he said it would.

After roughly three hours, he called the audience to him, saying his star attraction was ready. He uncovered the third cage, to witness the third pigeon performing a strange, repeating dance-like ritual.

Finally, after the entire audience saw the pigeon, he made his final statement for the night.

"I call this action prayer."

*I loved that story. I was already rather athiest when I heard it, but it was a fun new concept anyway. I changed it a bit, due to my not remembering exactly how my father told it, and requiring it to work when typed. It's a creative variation of Skinner's actual experiments.*

I've destroyed this story, is there any way a mod can edit it for me and delete this post? I've lost the ability by this time. It should read:

B.F. Skinner was a most remarkable man. A psychologist, who created a well-known device called the skinner box. In it's essence, it is a limited environment with a reward mechanism.

In this case, Skinner had realized something remarkable in his experiments. He aquired an audience to show his findings. It'd take a few hours to complete his demonstration, so he hosted a party, with his pigeons as the main attraction.

He had three cages, each with a button connected that would give the pigeon a food pellet. One cage was covered. This one had a mechanism that randomly gave the pigeon a food pellet, and would be unveiled at the end of the party, he announced to his audience.

The first pigeon, he claimed, he would make spin like a top, counterclockwise, before two hours has passed.

He spent ninety minutes training the hungry pigeon, requiring it to turn a little further every time before he gave it a food pellet.

The second pigeon, he announced, he would make flap it's wings constantly. He started by giving it a pellet whenever it ruffled it's feathers, making it ruffle and flap more each time before feeding it. After another hour and a half, it was doing as he said it would.

After roughly three hours, he called the audience to him, saying his star attraction was ready. He uncovered the third cage, to witness the third pigeon performing a strange, repeating dance-like motion.

Finally, after the entire audience saw the pigeon, he made his final statement for the night.

"I call this action prayer."

*I loved that story. I was already rather athiest when I heard it, but it was a fun new concept anyway. I changed it a bit, due to my not remembering exactly how my father told it, and requiring it to work when typed. It's a creative variation of Skinner's actual experiments.*

I did a report on B.F Skinner in highschool. He was a brilliant man. A few of his experiments were shot down due to the "immorality" of them. :shrug: