Goodbye Jesus

Define "fundie"

Guest Cherished

From what I understand of the common usage, a "fundamentalist" is someone who follows his worldview to its logical extremity.

For example, a Christian fundie is someone who understand the subjectivity of his worldview and embraces it - by supporting Biblical infallibility, by attacking reason and science, etc. A rational fundie would be someone who follows logic and reason to its logical extremity, supporting science to the fullest extent, supporting causality-based knowledge in all areas.

A lot of people call me a "fundie", and I'm proud of it. To paraphrase, "to be an extremist in the service of life and truth is no vice".

dictionary:

A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism

My difinition:

People who think they know it all but don't know shit.

Any one who pushes their views and ideals that may have been formed under a veil of gullibility wich is based by decissions and assumptions from their emotions and ignoring all logic and common-sense.

Relgion has the monopoly on "fundie"

Then you need to tell that to your fellow atheists who keep calling me a fundie. What I gave was the definition that most people use. Tolerentists hate people who are consistent in their positions - it gives them no leeway to agree with us. I am a proud fundamentalist - basing my thought on FUNDAMENTALS - and will always be.

The most basic FUNDAMENTAL is the most hated question : is your position based on facts ?

A atheist or theist or any one that holds some philosphy can take their views to a extream. Any one who does that is a fanatic.

Then you need to tell that to your fellow atheists who keep calling me a fundie. What I gave was the definition that most people use. Tolerentists hate people who are consistent in their positions - it gives them no leeway to agree with us. I am a proud fundamentalist - basing my thought on FUNDAMENTALS - and will always be.

The most basic FUNDAMENTAL is the most hated question : is your position based on facts ?

Taking the 'truth' and bending it to your desires is no virtue. That starts crusades.

Merlin

Taking the 'truth' and bending it to your desires is no virtue. That starts crusades.

As a staunch objectivist, I agree with you. Now go tell that to all the "liberal Christians" who think their completely context-less interpretation of the Bible is the right one.

As a staunch objectivist, I agree with you. Now go tell that to all the "liberal Christians" who think their completely context-less interpretation of the Bible is the right one.

Gee.

WHERE have I heard that before? :Doh:

What makes you different than Ex-Monkey?

Oh, yes. You don't worship Jesus, you just worship yourself.

And we're supposed to worship you, is that it?

I'd kill myself first.

Merlin

What are you talking about ? I don't worship myself. Are you another fucking subjectivist ? If so, you're the one who's worshipping yourself. Reality doesn't change with your every whim, pal.

What are you talking about ? I don't worship myself. Are you another fucking subjectivist ? If so, you're the one who's worshipping yourself. Reality doesn't change with your every whim, pal.

And you're not the only person with the answers. Fair?

Merlin

And you're not the only person with the answers. Fair?

On Earth ? There are legions of people who know and understand more than I do. On this board ? That's much more debatable. :HaHa:

On Earth ? There are legions of people who know and understand more than I do. On this board ? That's much more debatable.  :HaHa:

Should I be waiting for a punch line, or are you really that arrogant?

Merlin

On Earth ? There are legions of people who know and understand more than I do. On this board ? That's much more debatable.  :HaHa:

Whew. I'm glad this isn't 'brilliant.rude.atheists.net' then. Cuz I might wonder what I was doing there.

Amazing. Truly.

It's incredibly ironic that a man who claims to worship only truth, who claims to have a fanatical devotion to Truth and Truth alone can be so blind to his own character.

You're not an athieist because that's what you believe, you're an atheist because that's the answer YOU want. You don't analyze the facts, you just look at the other person's post, measure it up to your own blind assumptions, and if they DARE fall short, if they DARE disagree with you, if they DARE not worship you, you unload your mindless bile on them.

Well, as we wiccans say, may you be happy in the life you have chosen.

Goddes bless(Why she would is beyond me, but it's a nice thing to say :wicked: )

Merlin

Guilty as charged.

So how many boards are you going to get banned from before you realize it's your rudeness, and not your NO BULLSHIT or IN YOUR FACE! attitude that gets you banned? You can cry tolerantist all you want, but rude people don't fit in here. They never have, and brillance doesn't make up for anywhere near as much as you wish it did.

I'm not saying you should change a single thing about what you believe. Just learn some damn manners.

Great, now here's a guy who knows everything about me. Yea, that's right, I disagree with your posts because they don't fit my vision of the world, not because they're stupid. You sure got me pegged there.

idiot.jpg

I am so going to ask for an Objectivist icon.

Ro-Bear: You were right.

Merlin

My personal definition of a fundie is someone who takes the Bible as literally as possible. It usually follows that they are extremely conservative, homophobic, and a complete moron who refuses to even peek outside of the little box that they are brainwashed into. They also usually consider themself a Biblical fundamentalist and are in a very conservative denomination (i.e. Southern Baptist, Wisconsin or Missouri Synod Lutheran, etc.) I have yet to meet a fundie who is an exception to the rule.

I also consider a fundie anyone who is Christian, conservative and homophobic, even if they only take say, 75% of the Bible literally as opposed to 99%. If they believe that Jonah actually got swallowed by a whale, that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, gay people and liberals are going to hell regardless of whether they are Christians, that the flood actually happened, and that heaven and hell literally exist as written in the Bible, I'd lump them into the fundie category.

Fundies are those who are so innured in their beliefs, that their dogma blinds themselves to the world around them. Faith can be a source of strength, but too much has similar properties to methanol ingestion, crazy, blind, and dead.

The term "fundie" comes up quite regularly. 

What does it mean to you?

A fundie is someone who believes so strongly in the literal interpretation of the bible that they hate, and sometimes kill those who do not agree with their interpretation. Then, once they begin to realize that a lot of the adult population doesn't agree with them, they make the children their primary targets of indoctrination.

They do this in order to justify their beliefs. As long as somebody, including children believe as they do, they feel as though they've earned their ticket to heaven.

A fundy doesn't care one bit how their version of their religion affects everyone else, just as long as people think the way that they do.