Goodbye Jesus

New Date For End Of The World Is Based On Science

R. S. Martin

2012 Galactic Alighment Scientific Facts Video

Apparently, some kind of solar eclipse on Dec. 21, 2012 is supposed to bring about some kind of cosmic change that should get us all on our knees. There's enough "scientific" "data" in it that before 1991 I might have been kind of scared but when the world didn't end during the Gulf War Crisis in 1991, I knew it was all a sham.

(About fifteen or twenty years earlier, one of my siblings had found a reworking of Mother Shipley's poem:

...the end of the world shall come

In nineteen hundred and ninety-one.)

Not to mention that Jesus said so very clearly that "no man shall know the time or day..."

The year was possibly broad enough to dodge the "time or day" clause, but "Dec. 21, 2012" most definitely is NOT.

I'm curious whether there is any scientific fact in the video at all but I'm not asking anyone to watch it unless you're interested. Here's some of the terms on the diagram of this "Solar Eclipse Alighment" at 1:22 minutes:

• galactic equator
  • galaxy arm
  • dark rift
  • Sgr. A.
  • 3.5 trillion electron volt stream of gamma-rays
  • sun
  • moon
  • earth
  • electrons flowing creating energetic streams of light

This Christian argues that the emission of this huge volume of electrons (3.5 trillion electron volt stream of gamma-rays), which will begin or happen on Dec. 21, 2012, will heat up our planet and everything else it hits. This, apparently, is the cause of global warming. It is prophesied in a book of Levi in the Dead Sea Scrolls or some even more obscure scripture. If I remember correctly, Daniel, Matthew, and Revelation also contribute to the prophesy but any self-respecting prophet has to mention these books, right?

Obviously, everything below the bulleted list is bunk because a phenomenon called global warming has been around for decades. In the 1970s they (climatologists?) were calling for a new Ice Age (our winters here in Ontario were actually growing shorter at the time) and now for quite some time they have been calling for global warming (we're getting record-breaking snowfalls). I'm not taking any of this very seriously but wtf!?! Did that Christian have a bad nightmare or did a scientist actually say something remotely resembling the terms I posted on that list? And is there a solar eclipse scheduled for Dec. 21, 2012? (I would suppose they'd make sure to be right on that one....) I've heard about some kind of object from space that might hit earth in the next couple decades with potentially devastating results, but nothing about massive amounts of dangerous or lethal gamma-rays the likes of what this video is saying........Did I miss it or is this Christian out to lunch?

There's this end-times fanatic on Craig's forums who is predicting the end for 2012 but like I said, I've been hearing this stuff all my life. He just converted earlier this decade so I guess it's all new and exciting for him. He won't listen to anything an experienced exChristian might tell him. Nor does he ever talk about anything specific that is going to happen other than the Second Coming. And we all know that the Second Coming will happen differently for each denomination, according to its specific theology. :shrug:

This is the first time I personally hear an attempt at basing the Second Coming in science.

Edited to insert link. Stupid--I forgot.

Goddamn Xians and their "end-of-the-world" bullshit. Money-grubbing doom-sayers.

Remember "The Millennium Bug"?

They hop on every bloody bandwagon every time.

Same old crap, different day..

Since all of these christians are making these predictions, I think I'll join in on the "fun". When will the world end?

When I say so. And I say never.

And is there a solar eclipse scheduled for Dec. 21, 2012? (I would suppose they'd make sure to be right on that one....)

No, there is no solar eclipse scheduled for 12/21/2012. For one thing... The phase of the moon is wrong. It'll be half-full, rather than the required new moon. (There will be a total eclipse on November 13, 2012, however.)

I feel reminded of the "planet X" nonsense when I read that. Same ludicrous pseudoscience babble, same "The End™ is near", blah yadda. Only that the planet X morons (as far as I remember) didn't claim (much?) that X would bring the 2nd Coming™.

Guest Marty

Kinda weird that it would fall on a neat day for humanity, i.e., the winter solstice. Somehow I don't think the cosmos follows our calendar so exactly...

I thought the date was 12-12-2012? I'm glad they rolled it back to 12-21-12, so I can get my wine bottled. I think they came up with this date cuz 6-6-2006 didn't work out for them either. They keep blathering about dates and sooner or later they will hit a date with something weird and deadly happening and they can claim 'I told you so.' It is self-fulfilling prophecy for retards.

I thought the date was 12-12-2012? I'm glad they rolled it back to 12-21-12, so I can get my wine bottled. I think they came up with this date cuz 6-6-2006 didn't work out for them either. They keep blathering about dates and sooner or later they will hit a date with something weird and deadly happening and they can claim 'I told you so.' It is self-fulfilling prophecy for retards.

Nope. It was always 12/21.

I think I triple-triple-checked often enough to be sure it's the winter solstice rather than the triple-12 date. My eyes tend to play tricks on me so I wasn't sure if I was seeing right so I kept checking the date to be sure I was seeing right. I'm quite sure it was the first day of winter. I figure that would make sense for a person who wishes to play scientist because solstices have been studied by primitive people since the dawn of humanity.

Yes, Heretic, of course an all-merciful, benificient Being...wait, did I get that terminology from the Quran??? reading too much heretical theology I guess...oh well...anyway, as I was saying, I'm sure such a merciful Ruler of the Universe would hold off The End till you've got your wine bottled. Jesus did have some pretty specific instructions about bottling wine, you know. You're buying new bottles, I would hope, otherwise they might not withstand the outburst of gamma-rays this prophet says will engulf our planet for an entire year beginning with the (nonexistent, as per Astra) eclipse of Dec. 21, 2012.

Whew! I did think they would be smart enough to get the date of the eclipse right. I assumed even the most stupid and backward Christian on earth had enough worldly knowledge to know that anybody can check them out on that. And a person with enough smarts to make up a sophisticated diagram like this person did--it boggles my mind how such a person could possibly imagine getting away with a wrong date for the eclipse.

On the other hand, might it take a person who doesn't know they're stupid? I know I'm stupid when it comes to science and I simply don't know enough to make up such a diagram. At least, I think I don't. If it is permissible in these games to invent things like solar eclipses...I guess I know enough words from science that possibly I could patch together some big-sounding words to mystify the masses, too, and get a following. My biggest problem is that I can't lie to save my life. :ugh:

Besides, it wouldn't be half as much fun as it is to learn real knowledge about our universe and how it works.

Nope. It was always 12/21.

Thanks for that. Self-doubt was beginning to set in despite all the triple checking.

Cool, then I could stand in front of a white wall and make permanent shadows on the wall with my hands on that date? I better sell my stuff and get a ticket.

The date is weird. First, it's the Winter Soltice. Next, the numbers are supposed to have a numerological significance.

12 = 3

21 = 3

12 = 3

It's the triple Trinity!!!!

And this day will come and go like all others in the past.

NEW DATE FOR END OF THE WORLD IS BASED ON SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!

Instead, in about 5 billion years, it will enter a red giant phase, its outer layers expanding as the hydrogen fuel in the core is consumed and the core contracts and heats up.

Earth's fate is precarious. As a red giant, the Sun will have a maximum radius beyond the Earth's current orbit, 1 AU (1.5×1011 m), 250 times the present radius of the Sun.

JUDGEMENT DAY:

Aprox. 5 000 002 009 A.D.

Prepare!!!

The date is weird. First, it's the Winter Soltice. Next, the numbers are supposed to have a numerological significance.

12 = 3

21 = 3

12 = 3

It's the triple Trinity!!!!

Or half a Beast...

Or...or.....KYLE!!!! ^_^

One thing I don't get about all these end times prophecies is that they never make up their mind. Like if the world is supposed to end in 2012, then how can Obama be the antiChrist like some fundies claim? Because by then we would have already had another election and unless Obama won another election, he wouldn't be president then. So if the world ends in 2012, then Obama can't be the antiChrist.

• Super Moderator

What is likely to happen in the next 2 or 3 years is a huge coronal mass ejection.

CME

This solar cycle has been very slow in starting, and many scientists expect the sunspot activity to ramp up quickly, and in a very strong way. (I only know this as I have an interest in radio propagation as a ham operator). More sunspots (there are hardly any now, and there should be) mean more and bigger CMEs. These events can (and have done so) knock out power grids on Earth. One giant CME could very conceivably leave us without electricity worldwide for an indeterminate amount of time. Even if battery power worked, there would be no radio communication. Satellites would be useless. Devastating, to say the least.

That's the most likely disaster scenario, and if it happens it will be soon, and I'll miss you guys in the Internet!

One thing I don't get about all these end times prophecies is that they never make up their mind. Like if the world is supposed to end in 2012, then how can Obama be the antiChrist like some fundies claim? Because by then we would have already had another election and unless Obama won another election, he wouldn't be president then. So if the world ends in 2012, then Obama can't be the antiChrist.

D'uh, he becomes president of the NWO. He will somehow convince the nations of the world to set aside their sovereignty in favor of a one world government, of which, he will become the president of.

Typical morontheist answer to such criticism:

1. *blank stare for a few seconds while the morontheist's brain does a safe reboot*

2. Repetition of the standard bullcrap

:lmao:

• Super Moderator

Funny. I recently read The Day and The Hour--Christianity's Perennial Fascination with Predicting the End of the World by Francis Gumerlock (a xtian). This 330+ page book documents end of the world predictions beginning in 41 CE right up through the year 3836. Crazy-ass xtians. Interesting read -- in a wacko sort of way...... :Hmm: