Goodbye Jesus

Struggling With "leftover" Feelings?

dB-Paradox

Today I got an email from my mom (who doesn't know of my plans of deconversion - or at least reformation). It was one of those emails that usually gets circulated quickly with a touching story of God's love. There's no theology to it, it's just a basic story of "God's" love, whoever you want God to be.

Before I go any further, I began my journey of self-discovery and free-minded thinking as a result of questioning God's nature as described throughout the bible. I was raised in an evangelical, born-again Christian home and feel that I was not properly informed about God. When I started discovering more truth about God's nature, it made me question all I was taught growing up. I still feel as though I am a Christian, but more in a liberal sense. I think my church, my family, and friends would not support my new belief system. And theoughout my "deconversion" process (if it can even be called that) it has not been my intention to act as a hater toward the evangelical Christian viewpoint. I simply want to find truth and freedom in my life. That basically sums up where I'm at now.

Okay, so back to the email. As I read it, I was touched, as I usually am by these things. I kept thinking, "Maybe that's who you think God is, and that's okay, but I don't know if I believe it anymore". Plus I felt that the email played on human emotion to get the reaction it wanted. So, as I struggled to identify what I reacting to and how I felt (and what it meant), I thought I'd post this here to see if any former Christians or Christians "in transition" could share their experience with this same kind of situation. I'm even interested in hearing from athiests who have never believed.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, do stories of angels protecting, or God's love showing through children, or kind acts related to God touch your heart? Is this something I'm feeling as a leftover from my former believe system? Does anything I just said make sense? By the way, if anyone's interested in reading the email I am referring to, it's here.

Thanks for any input!

You mentioned yourself that it's written to play on emotion. Most of these are someone's original story that someone else adopted and gave a new layer of coincidence.

I mean, a little boy is not going to be able to carry any water any distance in his cupped hands. I could see him using a Dixie cup or something, but I tried that when I was bigger than the kid was supposed to be, and I only got a couple yards before losing it all. Certainly not over uneven ground while branches are hitting him in the face. And male stags are not usually around fawns, regardless of weather conditions.

It's good to be accessible to all human emotions, but when it comes to spam email, hang on to your skeptic's hat.

• Super Moderator

I don't think you have to be a Christian, or even religious at all, to tear up at sappy stories. Some people are more emotional than others, and people will attribute perceived or fictional "miracles" to whatever power they imagine can perform such phenomena.

Do I find the stories touching? For sure.

Do I think they have anything to do with "God" or supernatural beings? Hell no.

Since "God" doesn't intervene for the homeless and starving on our streets or in Africa or wherever, I highly doubt he gives a loaded fuck about our cushy North American lives...