Goodbye Jesus

Unjustified Or Justified Shame?

gypsy79

Okay, so there is really no way anyone is going to know the answer to this question, but I would love to get some opinions. I really don't have any vices other than getting drunk and even that isn't a daily occurrence. This is the weird thing. I know that it's not wrong to drink or get drunk (although it may be unwise sometimes) but I still feel ashamed afterward. I can't figure out if it's leftover shame from xianity, normal shame everyone feels, abnormal shame that I have no reason to feel, or what. I mean, I don't do anything embarrassing like sleep with random people or dance naked on tables. I just drink, talk and laugh too much, and possibly say stupid things occasionally. Your average drunken behavior.

Why shame over something so human and normal? I got drunk on Friday night and felt ashamed of myself all weekend FOR NO REASON. Arggggghhhh. Maybe I am ashamed of the naked-dancing-thoughts in my head and am afraid in my drunken stupor that other people can read my mind. LOL.

I don't do anything embarrassing like sleep with random people or dance naked on tables

Maybe you should?

• Super Moderator

Are you a good dancer?

I don't do anything embarrassing like sleep with random people or dance naked on tables

Maybe you should?

LMAO. I don't think my husband would like if if I slept with random people, but maybe he wouldn't mind the naked table dancing so much. I have done my share of scantily clad table dancing. Does that count? LOL.....oooohhhhhh, maybe that is where the shame comes in. Leftover shame from years ago. Oh jeebus, do I need a therapist or some more Jim Beam?

In all seriousness, though, this guilt is cramping my style big time. Maybe it is part of growing up. I do hit the big 3-0 this year. :eek:

Are you a good dancer?

Only after about 16 drinks, of course.

I don’t know why you feel guilty after getting drunk unless it is something that was so ingrained in your youth that you can’t shake it. Was drinking was considered a major sin in your family?

I’ve been involved in some pretty intense drunken debauchery but the drinking part doesn’t make me feel guilty. Some of my drunken behaviors have embarrassed me! But… never enough to keep me from doing it again! I enjoy the total lack of inhibition when I am drunk. I am more inclined to tell people what I REALLY think and I find that rather fun!!!

:shrug:

Was drinking was considered a major sin in your family?

Drinking really wasn't considered a major sin in my immediate family as long as it was just one or two. Church and extended family believed all drinking was wrong. Drunkenness was a big no-no all the time.

It's probably deeply engrained Christian morals. Take three shots of Jim Beam every time you feel shame. The problem will eventually go away. ;) (Kidding of course!)

As for me, I made it a point to be as sinful as possible after my deconversion. I never had issues with guilt (I was lucky that way).

Personally, I think this sounds like unjustified shame. My therapist has suggested that I try countering these kinds of thoughts by thinking about the good things about myself. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm still working on implementation...