Goodbye Jesus

My New Portfolio/freelance Site!

Looking4Answers

Hello everyone!

I finally put up my new portfolio/freelance web site for doing graphic arts. If you would like to check it out, here is the link:

http://www.hypergraphstudios.com/

I still have work to add to the site, so it should grow over time. And, of course, I will be creating more to put on the site ;) .

Hello L4A! I looked through your website earlier today and it looks way cool! I have zero artistic talent and I am amazed at what you talented folks can do! I hope your site brings you lots of new business. Good luck and thank you for sharing!!! :)

• Super Moderator

Good luck with your new venture. I'm like Noob and have absolutely no artistic talent myself, but I sure admire and appreciate what you artists can do. And I'm jealous! :HaHa:

I've bookmarked your website, so if anybody asks me, I'll point them in your direction.

---Sending you lots and lots of good thoughts and wishes.

Thanks!

I completed the site at like 4AM last night/this morning. Now I am paying the price and going through cleaning up grammar and spelling ;) .

Darn, my poor PSP browser cant seem to load the site ( I use a PSP with custom firmware ) So I will have to check this out when I can get on a real computer.

The site has been updated. A few more images added and a few other minor changes.

It looks great. The only thing I would suggest is adding a little more color to offset the gray. Maybe a lighter orange or a pale pink.

Nice job! I'd never really thought about book covers as being a specific service before. Everything looks great, and the site loads really fast.

Site looked great Looking!

If I may, I've got a question for you. Being the anime geek I am, I've been wanting to clean up and color some of the better drawings I've done. What do you think would be the best program to clean up and color artwork with?

Thanks,

Tab

If I may, I've got a question for you. Being the anime geek I am, I've been wanting to clean up and color some of the better drawings I've done. What do you think would be the best program to clean up and color artwork with?

Any paint program will do. I do my work in Photoshop, but it is expensive. You may want to start with something like GIMP, which is freeware. But cleaning up drawings is not necessarily an easy task. Typically you scan the art and then bring it into your paint program. Once there you have several options. You can try to play with certain settings like brightness and contrast to to attempt to clean up some of the lighter lines. You can try erasing the stuff you don't want. But what most artists do is create a clean layer over their originally scanned art and trace it with the tools in the paint program so that the final product is a cleaned up piece of art. It is difficult to do this with a mouse for most people, so most artists will invest in a graphics tablet of some kind to help in this regard.

You can, of course, paint in the same paint app using your cleaned up artwork as a guide. Again, a graphics tablet is going to go a long ways toward improving what you do because a mouse is just not easy to use for drawing/painting.

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone!

Nice job! I'd never really thought about book covers as being a specific service before.

How did you think book covers got done? ;) Just kidding.

Actually, I can make a living off of book covers alone if I were to really push this end of my business.

How do you know what size to do the book cover? They tell you how many pages and what size and you make to suit?

Or I reckon they just give your image to the printing folks who hammer that all out, eh?

Or I reckon they just give your image to the printing folks who hammer that all out, eh?

No, that won't work at all.

The publisher submits the number of pages and the size of the book (height and width) to the printer. The printer tells the publisher how thick the book will be (spine width). Those three measurements are given to me (height, width and spine width). I then have to add it all up (width of front cover + width of back cover + spine width or (cover width x 2) + spine width). Then you have to add between 1/4" and 1/2" on all sides for what is called the BLEED. Despite all our technology, mass printing of covers will not print each cover perfectly straight. So the extra (the bleed) is there to compensate. They cut the cover down to size after that. Guides are placed within the bleed area to guide the cutter so that he can cut the cover to the proper size. Here is an example image:

cover1.gif

Very nice work. I may hit you up to design a tattoo for me in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely revamped the site (again). Feel free to take a look and let me know your thoughts. And, yes, there are some new pieces there.

Much much better now. I kinda shrugged at the first site ( especially the Real time 3D section, since it didn't show the wiremesh ) but now that I see the new work it's a lot more impressive. IMO your best work is the RT3D bird. The texture on that is really well done.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool graphics!

Great site and awesome work!

Thanks everyone! I hope to keep adding new (and some old, forgotten) works to it as time permits!