Goodbye Jesus

Inane Fundy Emails

Kyle

I'm so tired of getting these, but I thought we could start posting them and get a collective laugh at the stupidity of the fundys.

I'll start it

A doctor-friend wrote:

A couple of days ago I was running (I use that term very loosely) on my treadmill, watching a DVD sermon by Louie Giglio...and I was BLOWN AWAY! I want to share what I learned.....but I fear not being able to convey it as well as I want. I will share anyway. He (Louie) was talking about how inconceivably BIG our God is....how He spoke the universe into being...how He breathes stars out of His mouth that are huge raging balls of fire...etc. etc. Then He went on to speak of how this star-breathing, universe creating God ALSO knitted our human bodies together with amazing detail and wonder. At this point I am LOVING it (fascinating from a medical standpoint, you know.) ....and I was remembering how I was constantly amazed during medical school as I learned more and more about God's handiwork.. I remember so many times thinking....'How can ANYONE deny that a Creator did all of this???' Louie went on to talk about how we can trust that the God who created all this, also has the power to hold it all together when things seem to be falling apart...how our loving Creator is also our sustainer. And then I lost my breath. And it wasn't because I was running my treadmill, either!!! It was because he started talking about laminin. I knew about laminin. Here is how wikipedia describes them: 'Laminins are a family of proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue.' You see....laminins are what hold us together....LITERALLY. They are cell adhesion molecules. They are what holds one cell of our bodies to the next cell.. Without them, we would literally fall apart. And I knew all this already. But what I didn't know is what laminin LOOKED LIKE. But now I do. And I have thought about it a thousand times since (already)..... Here is what the structure of laminin looks like...AND THIS IS NOT a 'Christian portrayal' of it....if you look up laminin in any scientific/medical piece of literature, this is what you will see...

cross.jpg

Now tell me that our God is not the coolest!!! Amazing. The glue that holds us together...ALL of us....is in the shape of the cross. Immediately Colossians 1:15-17 comes to mind. 'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on earth , visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things HOLD TOGETHER. ' Colossians 1:15-17. Call me crazy. I just think that is very, very, very cool.. Thousands of years before the world knew anything about laminin, Paul penned those words. And now we see that from a very LITERAL standpoint, we are held together....one cell to another....by the cross. You would never in a quadrillion years convince me that is anything other than the mark of a Creator who knew EXACTLY what laminin 'glue' would look like long before Adam even breathed his first breath!! " Faith is not knowing what the future holds, but knowing who holds the future." I wanted you to know and to undertstand that YOU are being held together by

:ugh:

Snopes

Laminin mage from Snopes article:

laminin3.jpg

:sing: I know that my redeemer lives...

mwc

I love snopes. I bust more fundys than you can count with that site. I especially enjoyed sticking it to them with the judge and April Fool's Day

• Super Moderator

Received e-mail:

THIS IS PRETTY NEAT. 93% won't forward

A small request.. Just one line

Dear God, I pray for the cure of cancer. Amen

(candle gif)

All you are asked to do is keep this circulating.

Even if it's only to one more person.

In memory of anyone you know who has been struck down by cancer or is still living with it.

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle..

Please Keep This Candle Going

My reply to all:

If prayer worked, every disease would already be eradicated many times over. Nobody would be sick at all. There would be world peace - several thousand years of prayer haven't put a dent in that one. If the god you're imagining exists, he's the one who created cancer in the first place - would he need to be told by me that it's a bad thing?

I'll bet 100% won't forward this.

I don't get why xtians think they know what the cross of Jesus looks like anyway. What if Jesus was crucified on one that looked like a Celtic cross? But xtians act like since all the movies show Jesus' cross looking like that, then that's gotta be the way it looked like in real life.

Anyone notice that these stupid things never quote the original source? "A Doctor friend?" Like who? Shouldn't be too hard to find him and ask if he's a licensed MD would it? And if there is a Doc out there stupid enough to come up with shit like this, I sure wouldn't want him working on me.

My reply to all:

If prayer worked, every disease would already be eradicated many times over. Nobody would be sick at all. There would be world peace - several thousand years of prayer haven't put a dent in that one. If the god you're imagining exists, he's the one who created cancer in the first place - would he need to be told by me that it's a bad thing?

I'll bet 100% won't forward this.

I hope you share any responses that you receive! I would think that the person who sent you the e-mail would immediately remove you from their group e-mail list.

I received this gem last night. It ranks pretty high in the most corny list!!!

THE STORY OF EDITH BURNS...

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas.

She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips.. Dr.

Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favourite patient was Edith Burns.

One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns. When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.

Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.

Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"

Beverly said, "Why yes I do."

Edith said, "Well, what do you believe about Easter?"

Beverly said, "Well, it's all about egg hunts, going to church, and dressing up." Edith kept pressing her about the real meaning of Easter, and finally led her to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Dr. Phillips said, "Beverly, don't call Edith into the office quite yet.

I believe there is another delivery taking place in the waiting room.

After being called back in the doctor's office, Edith sat down and when she took a look at the doctor she said, "Dr. Will, why are you so sad?

Are you reading your Bible? Are you praying?"

Dr. Phillips said gently, "Edith, I'm the doctor and you're the patient." With a heavy heart he said, "Your lab report came back and it says you have cancer, and Edith, you're not going to live very long."

Edith said, "Why Will Phillips, shame on you. Why are you so sad? Do you think God makes mistakes? You have just told me I'm going to see my precious Lord Jesus, my husband, and my friends. You have just told me that I am going to celebrate Easter forever, and here you are having difficulty giving me my ticket!"

Dr. Phillips thought to himself, "What a magnificent woman this Edith Burns is!"

Edith continued coming to Dr. Phillips. Christmas came and the office was closed through January 3rd. On the day the office opened, Edith did not show up. Later that afternoon, Edith called Dr. Phillips and said she would have to be moving her story to the hospital and said, "Will, I'm very near home, so would you make sure that they put women in here next to me in my room who need to know about Easter."

Well, they did just that and women began to come in and share that room with Edith. Many women were saved. Everybody on that floor from staff to patients were so excited about Edith, that they started calling her Edith Easter; that is everyone except Phyllis Cross, the head nurse.

Phyllis made it plain that she wanted nothing to do with Edith because she was a "religious nut". She had been a nurse in an army hospital. She had seen it all and heard it all. She was the original G.I. Jane. She had been married three times, she was hard, cold, and did everything by the book.

One morning the two nurses who were to attend to Edith were sick.

Edith had the flu and Phyllis Cross had to go in and give her a shot.

When she walked in, Edith had a big smile on her face and said, "Phyllis, God loves you and I love you, and I have been praying for you."

Phyllis Cross said, "Well, you can quit praying for me, it won't work.

I'm not interested."

Edith said, "Well, I will pray and I have asked God not to let me go home until you come into the family."

Phyllis Cross said, "Then you will never die because that will never happen," and curtly walked out of the room.

Every day Phyllis Cross would walk into the room and Edith would say, "God loves you Phyllis and I love you, and I'm praying for you."

One day Phyllis Cross said she was literally drawn to Edith's room like a magnet would draw iron. She sat down on the bed and Edith said, "I'm so glad you have come, because God told me that today is your special day"

Phyllis Cross said, "Edith, you have asked everybody here the question, "Do you believe in Easter but you have never asked me."

Edith said, "Phyllis, I wanted to many times, but God told me to wait until you asked, and now that you have asked." Edith Burns took her Bible and shared with Phyllis Cross the Easter Story of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Edith said, "Phyllis, do you believe in Easter? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is alive and that He wants to live in your heart?"

Phyllis Cross said, "Oh I want to believe that with all of my heart, and I do want Jesus in my life "Right there, Phyllis Cross prayed and invited Jesus Christ into her heart. For the first time Phyllis Cross did not walk out of a hospital room, she was carried out on the wings of angels.

Two days later, Phyllis Cross came in and Edith said, "Do you know what day it is?" Phyllis Cross said, "Why Edith, it's Good Friday."

Edith said, "Oh, no, for you every day is Easter. Happy Easter Phyllis!"

Two days later, on Easter Sunday, Phyllis Cross came into work, did some of her duties and then went down to the flower shop and got some Easter lilies because she wanted to go up to see Edith and give her some Easter lilies and wish her a Happy Easter.

When she walked into Edith's room, Edith was in bed. That big black Bible was on her lap. Her hands were in that Bible. There was a sweet smile on her face. When Phyllis Cross went to pick up Edith's hand, she realized Edith was dead. Her left hand was on John 14: "In my Father's house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." Her right hand was on Revelation 21:4, "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, there shall be no more death nor sorrow, nor crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Phyllis Cross took one look at that dead body, and then lifted her face toward heaven, and with tears streaming down here cheeks, said, "Happy Easter, Edith - Happy Easter!"

Phyllis Cross left Edith's body, walked out of the room, and over to a table where two student nurses were sitting. She said, "My name is Phyllis Cross. Do you believe in Easter?"

If you believe in Easter, forward this on. God works in wonderful ways, and to believe in his power is to truly be free. If Jesus had e-mail, he'd do the same for you.

(Actually, maybe He just did)

"Father, bless this person in whatever it is that You know he or she may be needing this day"

And then this one popped in right after poor dead Edith Burns...

Each and everyone one of us is going through tough times right now, but God is getting ready to bless you in a way that only He can. Keep the faith. My instructions were to pick four people that I wanted God to bless, and I picked you. Please pass this to at least (4) people you want to be blessed and a copy back to me. This prayer is powerful, and prayer is one of the best gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of rewards. Let's continue to pray for one another..

The prayer:

Father, I ask You to bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for, who are reading this right now. Show them a new revelation of your love and power. Holy Spirit, I ask You to minister to their spirit at this very moment. Where there is pain, give them your peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence through your grace. Where there is need, I ask you to fulfill their needs. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings. In Jesus' precious name. Amen.

(If the Lord lays upon your heart to send this to more than four people, you are truly blessed).

The lord laid it on my heart to press delete!!! Isn't this almost as bad as getting your computer to pray for you? :loser:

I don't get why xtians think they know what the cross of Jesus looks like anyway. What if Jesus was crucified on one that looked like a Celtic cross? But xtians act like since all the movies show Jesus' cross looking like that, then that's gotta be the way it looked like in real life.

In Greek the word we translate as "cross" really just means "stake." We're not sure how the whole thing worked in all cases. I think it would be effective to just tie/nail someone to an upright post/tree and leave them (no need for a cross beam to outstretch the arms though that might prolong things but given the additional cost/effort in construction I doubt they'd bother). This would also explain the story where he simply couldn't carry his own cross. He would have essentially had to carry a large post/tree. A cross beam would be heavy but considering the word this makes far more sense. It's just more dramatic if he's a bloody pulp and can't even carry the lightest part of his own death machine.

Also, crosses as we know of them (a lower case "t"), just aren't in iconography in the early centuries. They don't exist (maybe in rare cases but I don't believe they can be tied to xianity). The fish can be. And the chi-rho (the P-X symbol still seen in churches). A capitol "T" was associated with the cross but in a numeric sense (it had the value 300 and the two first letters of jesus were added to it to get 318). It was used as a sort of "magic spell" of protection. It wasn't until Constantine that the types of crosses we recognize really came into being. Pagans used them up until then and they were just "X"'s on their side (like the Celtic cross that was mentioned without the solar circle..and the xians that used these were discouraged as far as I know).

That's my aside. Sorry for the intrusion. :)

mwc

There's always this gem:

It is written in the Bible (Galatians 6:7):

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that

shall he also reap."

Here are some men and women who mocked God:

JOHN LENNON: Some years before he was murdered, during an interview with

an American Magazine, he said: "Christianity will end, it will

disappear. I do not have to argue about that. I am certain. Jesus was

ok, but his subjects were too simple. Today we are more famous than Him"

(1966).

Lennon, who said that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ,

was shot six times.

TANCREDO NEVES (President of Brazil ): During the Presidential campaign,

he said if he got 500 votes from his party, not even God would remove

him from Presidency. Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before

being made President, he then died.

CAZUZA (Bi-sexual Brazilian composer, singer and poet): During a

show in Canec ( Rio de Janeiro ), whilst smoking his cigarette, he

puffed out somesmoke into the air and said: "God, that's for you." He

died at the age of 32 of AIDS in a horrible manner.

THE MAN WHO BUILT TITANIC: After the construction of Titanic, a reporter

asked him how safe the Titanic would be. With an ironic tone he said:

"Not even God can sink it". The result: We all know, dont we ?

MARILYN MONROE: She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of

a show. He is a preacher and Evangelist and the Spirit of God had sent

him to preach to her. After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she

said: "I don't need your Jesus". A week later, she was found dead in her

apartment.

BON SCOTT: The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he

sang: "Don't stop me, I'm going down all the way, wow the highway to

hell". On the 19th of February 1980, Bon Scott was found dead, he had

been choked by his own vomit.

CAMPINAS/SP IN 2005

In Campinas, a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a

friend. The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the

drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter - holding her hand, who

was already seated in the car: "MY DAUGHTER, GO WITH GOD AND MAY HE PROTECT

YOU"

She responded: ONLY IF HE (GOD) TRAVELS IN THE BOOT, COZ INSIDE

HERE IT'S ALREADY FULL"

Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal

accident, everyone had died, the car could not be recognized what type of car it

had been, but surprisingly, the boot was intact.

The police said there was no way the boot could have remained

intact. To their surprise, inside the boot was a crate of eggs, none was broken.

Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other

name that was given so much authority as the name of Jesus. Many have died, but

only Jesus died and rose again, and he is still alive. JESUS!!!

P.S: If these were jokes, you would have sent it to everyone. So

are you going to have the courage to send this?.

I have done my part,

Jesus said "If you are embarrassed about me, I will also get embarrassed

about you before my father."

What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul? (Matthew 16:26)

Guest Summersong
I'm so tired of getting these, but I thought we could start posting them and get a collective laugh at the stupidity of the fundys.

I'll start it

You would never in a quadrillion years convince me that is anything other than the mark of a Creator who knew EXACTLY what laminin 'glue' would look like long before Adam even breathed his first breath!! " Faith is not knowing what the future holds, but knowing who holds the future." I wanted you to know and to undertstand that YOU are being held together by

I got this exact thing at work -- a person emailed it around -- even to the CEO of our company! She's a member of LDS -- she's been written up several times for proselytizing.

I never realized the police knew so much about physics!

I received this gem last night. It ranks pretty high in the most corny list!!!
Isn't this story a violation of the doctrine of freewill xtians always love to preach about?

There's always this gem:

Moral of the story: if you mock god, you might eventually die. Wheras if you don't mock god... you might eventually die.

Except in the case of the Titanic, where god also kills 1500 innocent people for the crime of one man. Typical god behavior.

There's always this gem:

P.S: If these were jokes, you would have sent it to everyone. So

are you going to have the courage to send this?.

I have done my part,

Jesus said "If you are embarrassed about me, I will also get embarrassed

about you before my father."

What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul? (Matthew 16:26)

Just another Christian pretending to know the hearts, minds, and motives of all other people, and drawing attention to him/herself for having done a "good" dead of filling the inboxes of everyone on their mailing list with junk mail. FYI, you ignorant Christian, even if it were a joke, I would delete it. I consider it improper to fill up other people's inboxes with this kind of garbage. Not saying my own stuff that I send to people is much better but at least it's stuff that interests me. I don't need to add stuff I personally consider junk on top of it. That's my position for what it's worth.

The atheist holiday:

Hooray For That Judge In Florida, an atheist became incensed over the

preparation for Easter and Passover holidays and decided to contact the

local ACLU about the discrimination inflicted on atheists by the constant

celebrations afforded to Christians and Jews with all their holidays

while the atheists had no holiday to celebrate.

The ACLU jumped on the opportunity to once again pick up the cause of the

godless and assigned their sharpest attorneys to the case.

The case was brought before a wise judge who after listening to the long,

passionate presentation of the ACLU lawyers, promptly banged his gavel

and declared, "Case dismissed!"

The lead ACLU lawyer immediately stood and objected to the ruling and

said, "Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case? Surely the

Christians have Christmas, Easter and many other observances. And the

Jews--why in addition to Passover they have Yom Kippur and Hanukkah...

and yet my client and all other atheists have no such holiday!"

The judge leaned forward in his chair and simply said "Obviously your

client is too confused to know about or for that matter even celebrate the

atheists' holiday!"

The ACLU lawyer pompously said "We are aware of no such holiday for

atheists, just when might that be, your honor?"

The judge said, "Well it comes every year on exactly the same

date---April 1st!"

"The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'" - Psalm 14:1, Psalm 53:1

HOORAY FOR THAT JUDGE

From one of my younger friends replying to one of my responses, I was so stunned by the shallow nature I just gave up, but here we go

"Nah I wouldnt attack you or say it was the devils work, Everyone should know alot about what the believe in. As far as me saying your led by devils I wouldn't say that.

I haven't know god for years, almost half a year if that.

My thoghts and beliefs grow over time, I read the Bible and figure out things as I go along. For me it just clicks, Why would God leave us the Bible and put laws and stories, about 1500 to 2200 pages of stories and rules, about how to live your life. Sure some of the stories in the Bible may contradict thierselfs sometimes, The Bible was written by man, man is not perfect...therefore the Bible cant really be perfect in every single aspect. It can be majorly close, but the differnce between 5000 or 4000 men or ages its a cmmon misjudgment of estimating.

I dont ask other people what I should believe in, or not believe in, cause then I would be in a trap. So I figure it out as I go. But I was out of church for a long time and what not sure, had chances to do things, but I never did. And I finnaly got away from all that, yet I knew somewhere in my heart something was missing. Then I just found it one night, It just hit home, dont know what it was, or even why it hit me, It just came to mind and it was one word, Jesus. from then on I've been growing into the man I am now."

The ACLU lawyer pompously said "We are aware of no such holiday for

atheists, just when might that be, your honor?"

The judge said, "Well it comes every year on exactly the same

date---April 1st!"

I seem to remember last year that it was Bill 'O Reily who was complaining about the atheists attacking Christmas nativity scenes and saying that the atheists should get their own holiday. I wish these xtians would make up their minds.

I'll start it

A doctor-friend wrote:

A couple of days ago I was running (I use that term very loosely) on my treadmill, watching a DVD sermon by Louie Giglio...and I was BLOWN AWAY! I want to share what I learned.....but I fear not being able to convey it as well as I want. I will share anyway. He (Louie) was talking about how inconceivably BIG our God is....how He spoke the universe into being...how He breathes stars out of His mouth that are huge raging balls of fire...etc. etc. Then He went on to speak of how this star-breathing, universe creating God ALSO knitted our human bodies together with amazing detail and wonder. At this point I am LOVING it (fascinating from a medical standpoint, you know.) ....and I was remembering how I was constantly amazed during medical school as I learned more and more about God's handiwork.. I remember so many times thinking....'How can ANYONE deny that a Creator did all of this???' Louie went on to talk about how we can trust that the God who created all this, also has the power to hold it all together when things seem to be falling apart...how our loving Creator is also our sustainer. And then I lost my breath. And it wasn't because I was running my treadmill, either!!! It was because he started talking about laminin. I knew about laminin. Here is how wikipedia describes them: 'Laminins are a family of proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue.' You see....laminins are what hold us together....LITERALLY. They are cell adhesion molecules. They are what holds one cell of our bodies to the next cell.. Without them, we would literally fall apart. And I knew all this already. But what I didn't know is what laminin LOOKED LIKE. But now I do. And I have thought about it a thousand times since (already)..... Here is what the structure of laminin looks like...AND THIS IS NOT a 'Christian portrayal' of it....if you look up laminin in any scientific/medical piece of literature, this is what you will see...

cross.jpg

Now tell me that our God is not the coolest!!! Amazing. The glue that holds us together...ALL of us....is in the shape of the cross. Immediately Colossians 1:15-17 comes to mind. 'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on earth , visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things HOLD TOGETHER. ' Colossians 1:15-17. Call me crazy. I just think that is very, very, very cool.. Thousands of years before the world knew anything about laminin, Paul penned those words. And now we see that from a very LITERAL standpoint, we are held together....one cell to another....by the cross. You would never in a quadrillion years convince me that is anything other than the mark of a Creator who knew EXACTLY what laminin 'glue' would look like long before Adam even breathed his first breath!! " Faith is not knowing what the future holds, but knowing who holds the future." I wanted you to know and to undertstand that YOU are being held together by

And this is what Laminin actually looks like in the real world:

laminin3.jpg

Talk about stretching the imagination. Kinda reminds me of this christian dvd I once saw where the speaker was showing pictures of galaxies, nebulae, and quasars, etc. When he came to one that resembles a cross (like the Horsehead Nebula resembles a horse... sort of...) he automatically got all giddy over it. They read so much crap into everything. They're reaching because they know deep down inside they've been played for a fool. Their religion is a sham.

[snip April Fool's email]

Rather than just going to Snopes (since this is there) I figured I'd go another route. From Wikipedia:

The origin of April Fools' Day is obscure. One likely theory is that the modern holiday was first celebrated soon after the adoption of the Gregorian Calendar; the term referred to someone still adhering to the Julian Calendar, which it replaced.[2]

Theory 1. Kind of related to xianity.

In many pre-Christian cultures May Day (May 1) was celebrated as the first day of summer, and signalled the start of the spring planting season. An April Fool may have been someone who did this prematurely.

Theory 2. Pagan.

Another possible origin is that April 1 was counted the first day of the year in France. When King Charles IX changed that to January 1, some people stayed with April 1.

Theory 3. Secular.

In the eighteenth century the festival was often posited as going back to the times of Noah. An English newspaper article published on April 13th, 1789 said that the day had its origins when he sent the raven off too early, before the waters had receded. He did this on the first day of the Hebrew month that corresponds with April.

Theory 4. Judeo-xian.

One is directly biblical (possibly related to Passover/Easter). None deal with atheists.

Oh well...it's not like you'd sue in some local court to get a holiday anyhow. Only ignorant folks would get their jollies from this story.

mwc

My mother-in-law just sent me the Edith Easter one.

I prepared a short e-mail reply with links to Snoop.com and truthorfiction.com, but my wife won't let me send it.

=(

My mother-in-law just sent me the Edith Easter one.

I prepared a short e-mail reply with links to Snoop.com and truthorfiction.com, but my wife won't let me send it.

=(

Go find your wife's purse, open it, and retrieve your balls man! Send that email!

LOL