Goodbye Jesus

Christianity And Animals

GeneralJet

One of the main things that turned me off to Christianity was the alarming lack of concern for any other kind of animal then human. In fact, i have NEVER heard a word spoken from the pulpit about kindness to animals, or discouraging animal abuse/neglect. In all fairness, the Catholic, and other Churches do have the lessing of the animals, for what that is worth. Still though, it seems so selfish, almost racist, in a species sense, to only preach love to our own kind.

Guest ephymeris

I asked my mom when I was a kid if my dead dog was in heaven and she (for some unknown reason) told me no. I asked why not and she told me "god doesn't let animals into heaven. it says so in the bible." She just shrugged her shoulders and went on. I always thought that was a really shitty way to be, even if you are god.

• Super Moderator
god doesn't let animals into heaven.

Hell, he didn't let most of them into the ark.

Animals, men, women, children - he gives less than a shit about any of them. He really does like burnt, dead animals, however.

One of the main things that turned me off to Christianity was the alarming lack of concern for any other kind of animal then human. In fact, i have NEVER heard a word spoken from the pulpit about kindness to animals, or discouraging animal abuse/neglect.

It never occurred to me that the church showed a total lack of interest in the well being of animals. But, now that I think of it, you’re right!

On the other hand, prior to my deconversion (back in the day when I thought atheists were damned scary creatures!!!), I distinctly remember my amazement when I saw the love and kindness that not one, but two of my atheist friends showed their pets. Talk about cognitive dissonance. These people were supposed to be evil and misinformed, yet they obviously loved their pets more than they seemed to love other people. They not only cared for their pets, but one of them also provided food and water for the birds outside of his condominium.

Now I realize that it is so much easier to see the beauty in the world and appreciate the unconditional love of animals when you are focused on this world and this day instead of looking ahead to eternal life in another place in the far, far distant future.

That is because people are supposed to have "dominion" over animals, and treat them as nothing more than walking meat. They also think that humans are above all other animals, you know, like how the rich kid at school always looked down and stubbed his nose at the poor kid.

I asked my mom when I was a kid if my dead dog was in heaven and she (for some unknown reason) told me no. I asked why not and she told me "god doesn't let animals into heaven. it says so in the bible." She just shrugged her shoulders and went on. I always thought that was a really shitty way to be, even if you are god.

I've had dogs that showed more love and compassion than people.