Goodbye Jesus

The Cold Equations

Tabula Rasa

I don't know if this is the proper forum, but I was reminded of an old science fiction story that demonstrates that the laws of physics have no consideration for human concerns, and that if we're not careful , nature can demand an awful price.

Here's a link to the story: The Cold Equations

I liked it as a Twilight Zone episode but thought it a number of times too long as a film.

On a forum I belong to, there is a half wit who endlessly goes on about god being love, no matter how much evidence I and others give him that god does not know the meaning of love.

The OT shows a god who is an evil brat and general nutcase murderer. The real world tells us that tens of thousands of babies and kids suffer and die every single day. 153,000 people die on the average day, and many suffer before they do so. This is without catastrophes, disasters and so on.

It's OK for us in the first world who have a fairly good life to believe that an invisible friend loves us, but not so easy those in the third world who don't get enough to eat or clean water to drink. For those who live in war zones or under tyrants. For those who work in sweat shops for just enough to live on. For most of our history, it was a very hard world where it was a struggle just to survive.

As to space, the Earth has suffered five extinction level impacts in the last 600,000,000 years when almost all life was wiped out. A nearby supernova or a distant gamma ray burster could effortlessly wipe out all life on Earth and the universe would go on as though we had never been.