Goodbye Jesus

My Little Personal Protest

par4dcourse

As many of you know, I've detailed the trials and tribulations of moving this past month. We've about settled in the new digs (finally). At our previous location we had the TW bundle: phone, internet, and digital cable. It supposedly started at a hundred bucks a month but with taxes and fees and taxes and fees it was more like $125. Ok for all three.

Over the 2 years we spent there it gradually grew to a whopping $174 a month and it seemed the bills came weekly.

We talked about it and decided to bite the bullet. I drug out the indoor antenna we used when cable was out and bought a converter box. We get the 4 networks, PBS, and a few independants, all quite clear thanks to digital technology.

We're wirelessed into a neighbor's cable modem for i-net (with their permission), which is a tad slow but workable. We're using Skype phone via the computer and that's been working moderately well.

Bottom line: we have all the convieniences we used to have, albeit slightly degraded quality, for a grand total of 4 bucks a month.

I know a huge conglomerate like TW doesn't give a rat's ass about losing one customer, but as the economy gets worse and belts continue to tighten, maybe the message will eventually get through.

• Super Moderator

When my sister moved to town she called Time-Warner because that's what she had before. They gave her a price but called back an hour later. They informed her it would be $10 more because they discovered that Knology cable wasn't available on her side of the street yet. In other words, if there is no competition, they charge more.

Yeah, Larry. Fuckem.

Guest Net Eng

Preach on brother Par!!! :clap:

You're right. They won't care if one customer goes off the grid. More competition the better here!!!

Hey Broadstripe (my local ISP) :devilfinger:

When my sister moved to town she called Time-Warner because that's what she had before. They gave her a price but called back an hour later. They informed her it would be $10 more because they discovered that Knology cable wasn't available on her side of the street yet. In other words, if there is no competition, they charge more.

Yeah, Larry. Fuckem.

These groups lobby to lock out competition. Here in Russia I have a choice of at least 4 providers in my neighborhood and I am currently paying $20/month for 10G speed, unlimited.

When I first moved here we didn't have a provider in our neighborhood so I had to get internet via a radio receiver. It was running about $400/month and I had to severely limit my use as each over 2 cost about $30.

Cable runs about $5/month, but it's shit so if I watch anything I watch online.

You guys are getting screwed on cell tech as well. I can choose from at least 15 providers (maybe more). No contracts are involved. When you wish to change you just switch out your sim card for a new provider's card. The card costs $5, which gives you $5/worth of airtime. I probably spend $10/month on the phone for moderate use.

I'm sorry, that sucks. I don't own a television for precisely this reason. I don't have internet either. I use the college or library. I'm not giving anyone my money anymore.