Goodbye Jesus

Why Are You Afraid Of Jesus?

EastCoastGal

You know, (we'll I'm sure you don't know), I'm a pretty introspective, cool - as - the - cucumber Type B Girl, but something is really, Really getting under my skin and irritating me lately, now that I've made a public break with the motions of going to church and singing the little songs.

My mom keeps asking me "Why are you afraid of Jesus?", "Why are you afraid of God?". She will ask these two questions over and over again, no matter what the reason was I origionally had to talk to her.

Our Conversations recently:

Me: Mom, what would you like for your birthday.

Mom: Why are you afraid of God?

Me: That doesn't really help. Would you like to go out to eat somewhere?

Mom: Are you afraid of Jesus?

Me: Ummmm.... I gotta go.

Mom: Jesus loves you, no one else loves you but Jesus, did you know that?

::click::

She believes if she keeps "confronting me with the wall and shield of God, I will be forced to face Jesus", Something I'm sure her pastor told her. I'm quite stable typically, but this really makes me want to scream into a pillow and cut off all contact with my mom cold turkey. I probably have a cruel harsh heart, but woman I just wanted to buy you something for your birthday!!!!!!

• Super Moderator

Buy her a copy of "The God Delusion."

Happy Birthday! No one loves you but Dawkins!

(You DO know mom is dangerously insane and you should run, don't you?)

Buy her a copy of "The God Delusion."

Happy Birthday! No one loves you but Dawkins!

(You DO know mom is dangerously insane and you should run, don't you?)

Hahaha, Great Idea for a birthday present, Turn about is fair play, as I usually keep receiving Bibles for mine (or IOUs for pastor visits).

I obviously have a sickness wherein I can't seem to dump my parents like the toxic relationship they are! ah well, stupid emotions!

I'm glad florduh said it first. You have some crazy-ass parents.

I'm quite stable typically, but this really makes me want to scream into a pillow and cut off all contact with my mom cold turkey.

So do it. The only way she's ever going to respect your decision is if you make her. She's made her feelings on the matter crystal clear, it's only fair you do the same. See how long she can keep up the god-bot act in the face of her daughter refusing to acknowledge her existence.

'Course, that's dependent on a few factors, not least of which is whether you're still a minor, still live with/depend on her financially and aren't put off by the notion of losing contact with your mother for an indefinite amount of time. I'm an authentic, virgin-sacrificing, baby-eating, card-carrying atheist, so. ;)

My mom keeps asking me "Why are you afraid of Jesus?", "Why are you afraid of God?". She will ask these two questions over and over again, no matter what the reason was I origionally had to talk to her.

Next time someone asks you this, I would ask, "Why would I be afraid of something that I don't think exists?" I think she's asking you these things to try to figure out why you stopped believing in god. She can't accept that there could be a logical explanation, so her brain is just stuck on this one idea. That's how it seems to me.

You mean she doesn't even love you? What a horrible thing to say to your own daughter.

She believes if she keeps "confronting me with the wall and shield of God, I will be forced to face Jesus", Something I'm sure her pastor told her. I'm quite stable typically, but this really makes me want to scream into a pillow and cut off all contact with my mom cold turkey. I probably have a cruel harsh heart, but woman I just wanted to buy you something for your birthday!!!!!!

I understand how you feel. She's being really mean and ungrateful and it's very sad and probably infuriating to you to have to hear this over and over. My advice to you would be to stop talking to her if at all possible. If she complains later that you didn't get her anything for her birthday, remind her that you tried to talk about it but she chose to talk about something else instead. Good luck with this.

You mean she doesn't even love you? What a horrible thing to say to your own daughter.

Heh, I noticed that too. The thought occurs there's the potential for some rather nasty spin there, but probably not the type of spin most would feel comfortable subjecting their parents to.

I'd like to ask your mother why she's afraid of the truth.

She's using a childish tactic to shut down discussion instead of openly and honestly discussing your beliefs because they conflict with hers. I'd bet it's because she's afraid of what might happen if her beliefs were exposed to the light of reason.

I'm afraid of Iesus and god. One is an invisible ghost and the other is a Jewish zombie returned from the dead. They both want your soul and brain!

All together now...

:sing:

All we wanna' do is eat your brains

We're not unreasonable

I mean no one's gonna' eat your eyes

All we wanna' do is eat your brains

We're at an impasse here

Maybe we should compromise

If you open up the doors

We'll all come inside and eat your brains

:sing:

Hi again! You posters are a clever bunch!

Woodsmoke, you were wondering a bit if I was a minor, luckily I'm 25 and on my own financially and living-wise. So I'm in the position to control contact, and it's already minimal and public due to this God issue and a history that seems to me to be a bit abusive on her part.

Also, about the whole "Nobody loves you but Jesus" bit, that's one of her favorite things to remind me during our short get togethers. She'll usually bring it up in the following manner.

Me: So what did you and Dad do today?

Mom: Did you know that I don't have to love you?

Me: That's Nice. (or sometimes, Why do you keep saying that?)

Mom: Well it's true, I don't have to love you, there is no law saying any one has to love you, only Jesus HAS to love you.

Me: That's nice, well I gotta go now.

Now you might think this would depress me, but she's said that about every other day of my life, so now it's just a sigh worthy annoyance. (She says the same things to my Dad too, so I don't take it personally)

Pardon the expression, but Jesus Christ. I hate to speak ill of people I don't know, but by what I've gathered from your posts your mom is seriously fucking nuts.

Hi again! You posters are a clever bunch!

Woodsmoke, you were wondering a bit if I was a minor, luckily I'm 25 and on my own financially and living-wise. So I'm in the position to control contact, and it's already minimal and public due to this God issue and a history that seems to me to be a bit abusive on her part.

Also, about the whole "Nobody loves you but Jesus" bit, that's one of her favorite things to remind me during our short get togethers. She'll usually bring it up in the following manner.

Mom: Well it's true, I don't have to love you, there is no law saying any one has to love you, only Jesus HAS to love you.

Me: That's nice, well I gotta go now.

Now you might think this would depress me, but she's said that about every other day of my life, so now it's just a sigh worthy annoyance. (She says the same things to my Dad too, so I don't take it personally)

Technically, isn't there some law somewhere in the Bible that says she has to love you? Oh I know, the whole "love your neighbor as yourself" type thing?

Or the "fathers love your children and don't exasperate them"?

Pardon the expression, but Jesus Christ. I hate to speak ill of people I don't know, but by what I've gathered from your posts your mom is seriously fucking nuts.

Would you believe it's taking more time, deep introspection and conflicted thought to slowly realize my mom might be nuts than it ever did to deny the truth of Christianity? LOL :grin:

Doesn't surprise me at all. I've been out of the Morg for over 7 years now, and it was only within the past one I finally realized just how crazy-religious my own mom is. Fortunately, she's not actually crazy (well, not WRT religion, anyway - craziness from her children is something I can claim no small part in :grin:), but she is very devout. My brothers used to go into the basement bathroom and lock the door to smoke pot, and her answer to that was to put a creepy eyes-that-follow-you-everywhere type poster of Jesus up on the wall with the caption "You are never alone." Suffice to say, it made using the room for its intended purpose rather... interesting.

Haven't she read John 13:34:

" A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

Would you believe it's taking more time, deep introspection and conflicted thought to slowly realize my mom might be nuts than it ever did to deny the truth of Christianity? LOL :grin:

That is totally understandable. You've never met the Jeebus. Jeebus never hugged you or tucked you in. He never cooked and washed clothes for you. Of course it would be harder to come to terms with her insanity than the fiction of Jayyyzuz.

You know, (we'll I'm sure you don't know), I'm a pretty introspective, cool - as - the - cucumber Type B Girl, but something is really, Really getting under my skin and irritating me lately, now that I've made a public break with the motions of going to church and singing the little songs.

wtf? No one else loves but Jesus? That's a pretty f*cked up thing to say, especially from your own mom. If she doesn't love you, then why is she trying to shove Jesus up your ass? I think you should take some time apart from your mom and let her know that as soon as she can interact like a normal human being, you'll speak to her again but this "why are you afraid of Jesus" shit has to stop. It's obvious you can't reason with her and give her an answer that will shut her up. She sounds like she's worked her self into believing that the only reason you're not a Christians is because you're scared of Jesus.

I don't blame you, though, if you are afraid of Jesus. I'm pretty afraid of misogynistic, pro-slavery, baby killing, war mongering zombies with crazy mood swings myself.

On a serious note, your mom actually seems mentally ill. I mean, I know a lot of us have parents that believe some dumb shit, but your mom sounds like she's totally obsessed with it to the point of it being part of a disorder. What does your dad think of her?

Your mom would scare me when I *was* a christian.

try this maybe, tho I'm no psychiatrist, which is what she needs:

You: Hi Mom, boy do the Mets suck etc.

Mom: I don't have to love you, only Jesus loves.

You: I love you Mom, and I always will. I'll call again when you're feeling better.

EastCoastGal, what do you get out of maintaining a relationship with your mother?

If she doesn't love you, then why is she trying to shove Jesus up your ass?

Well, when you put it that way, maybe she's just trying to, er.. "expand her horizons." :wicked:

Yes, I know, I'm a horrible person.

Let's look at this in terms of programming shall we?

This is the program the mind virus inside your maternal unit's head runs:

REPEAT
  BabbleBullshitTo (Daughter)
UNTIL caves_in (Daughter);

The only way to stop that loop is:

*** ERROR: Procedure "BabbleBullshitTo": Cannot reach target

The mind virus (well call it your mom if you prefer) does not have the slightest bit of respect for you. It does not care a flying fuck about you. It does not see you as daughter, and neither as fellow human, just as a target that must be dealt with.

As long as your maternal unit remains infected by the mind virus you owe her nothing. And yes it is best (IMHO) if you cut off all possible contact to her. Only if the virus keeps slamming into the brick wall of the above-mentioned error will its host have a slight chance to terminate that mental malware process in its head.

I've been there on slightly different terms. Sadly I can say with quite some conviction "I know". :Hmm:

If this were me I'd have said "So what does that mean? Do you love me or not? Is this some sort of threat? If you loved me you'd stop saying this shit and have one fucking decent conversation with me because I've just about had enough. You've driven a huge fucking wedge between us thanks to all of this jesus talk. Keep it up and you won't have anyone to remind that you don't need to love them. Trust me."

Again? Shit! "So you need a law to love me? Maybe you need to rethink your morals and priorities before you talk again? If that's how you think. And if jesus HAS to love. HAS TO. Then problem solved isn't it? Now we just need for you, my own mom, to figure out how to love without some fucking law forcing her to or some silly god acting as proxy. Work it out or count me out."

I sure hope you get this all worked out with your mom (will your dad or other family help out?). I can't believe you have to put up with such nonsense. :(

mwc

Try this code instead..

While (Daughter.Listens.To(Mom) == true) 
{
Mom.Bible.Thump.Continue = true;
Abuse(Daughter);
}

Daughter.Happy = true; // This will never be reached until the loop is broken.

I obviously have a sickness wherein I can't seem to dump my parents like the toxic relationship they are! ah well, stupid emotions!

This line made me think of the Disturbed song "Down with the Sickness"

Get up, come on get down with the sickness

Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

You mother get up

Come on get down with the sickness

You fucker get up

Come on get down with the sickness

Madness is the gift, that has been given to me

I can see inside you, the sickness is rising

Don't try to deny what you feel

(Will you give it to me?)

It seems that all that was good has died

And is decaying in me

(Will you give it to me?)

It seems you're having some trouble

In dealing with these changes

Living with these changes

Oh no, the world is a scary place

Now that you've woken up the demon in me

The bolded part seems to me to be a very accurate description of your problem, that she cannot accept you becoming an adult and making adult decisions without her advice or support.