Goodbye Jesus

Would My Mom Classify As A Jesusfreak?

Guest Windstorm

Guest Windstorm

For as long as I have lived with my mom, I have always known that she has a close relationship with her God. She has various pictures and replicas representing the Christian faith throughout her house and that's her personal choice. However, there is one thing in particular which that disturbs me and to be honest I have always found it quite embarassing. Six years ago not long after my father had passed away my mom painted the word "Jesus" in bold red letters on our house. When I asked why, she said that it was because we no longer had a manly figure in the house and needed spiritual protection(God). The people in our neighborhood had mixed opinions about it, some liked it and others were offended. Nevertheless it is still up there. More recently she has placed this miniature plastic replica of The Ten Commandments in the front yard. Does she classify as a Jesusfreak?

She sounds like someone who may qualify as having a bit of a breakdown once your dad died and this is how it is manifesting itself.

mwc

Whenever I hear the phrase Jesus Freak, I think about some crazy old guy standing on the street corner with a sandwich board sign, screaming "Jesus Loves You". To me a Jesus Freak is someone who tries to push Jesus on everyone that they encounter. While your mom is certainly demonstrating her infatuation in a rather public way, it doesn't sound like she is pushing other people to accept him. IDK.

It sounds like she is afraid and in order to cope, she is using Jesus. If she is not continually trying to push it on others, she's not technically a Jesusfreak in my book.

• Super Moderator

I think Deva made a good assessment. People who have trouble coping with reality sometimes do strange things that give them comfort.

Guest Windstorm
It sounds like she is afraid and in order to cope, she is using Jesus. If she is not continually trying to push it on others, she's not technically a Jesusfreak in my book.

Well if that's then case then I can sorta relate to that. Everyone has their own strange ways of coping, myself included.

Hey Windstorm, I know I'm straying a tad from your original post, but has she ever had grief counseling and/or do you think she needs it? I don't know since I don't know her, but it is just a thought. Didn't want to leave it unsaid in case it hasn't been considered.

Sounds like she's got a type of mental disorder, but a break down is also very possible. Did she really seem to grieve the loss of her husband?

Guest Windstorm
Hey Windstorm, I know I'm straying a tad from your original post, but has she ever had grief counseling and/or do you think she needs it? I don't know since I don't know her, but it is just a thought. Didn't want to leave it unsaid in case it hasn't been considered.

No she hasn't. I am not sure whether or not she needs counseling because overall, she seems to be a relatively normal person (I just thought that she was a bit of a Jesusfreak lol). But even if she did she would probably just refuse anyway because for one, she's not too trustworthy of those in the field of mental health. Secondly, the only thing she constantly relies upon is her faith in Gawd.

Reminds me a bit of my mom. I don't like it because it prevents them from getting help if they really need it. (My mom was in a wife beater relationship for 5 years and when she got away from it, she turned to god instead of real help. Which ironically, that church's message is you have to love but fear god. Wow! Just what a wife beater would say!) If your mom is still happy and functions well without having to turn to alcohol or drugs or other disturbing habits then I would say she's fine, but I would keep an I on her.

but I would keep an I on her.

eye *!!* Oh my engrish is getting so goodist.