Goodbye Jesus

Religious Cards

Amethyst

Received a religious birthday card from a sweet little old lady at the church where I grew up. She does not know I have deconverted, and probably never will because it would break her heart, and I can't do that.

Anyway, she had written "your faith in Jesus makes me smile" or some such thing.

Arrrrgh! I hate it when people write things like that. They might as well say, "If you're not a member of my religious cult, then you will make me cry, because the cult is the only thing in life that matters, not you as a human being." :ugh:

Why, why, why do people have to send religious cards at all? Why can't they just send a plain old birthday card?

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Received a religious birthday card from a sweet little old lady at the church where I grew up.  She does not know I have deconverted, and probably never will because it would break her heart, and I can't do that.

Anyway, she had written "your faith in Jesus makes me smile" or some such thing.

Arrrrgh!  I hate it when people write things like that.  They might as well say, "If you're not a member of my religious cult, then you will make me cry, because the cult is the only thing in life that matters, not you as a human being."   :ugh:

Why, why, why do people have to send religious cards at all?  Why can't they just send a plain old birthday card?

I feel the same way. I say leave old people alone to thier invisible friend. If religion ever comes up next time with her just change the subject in a subtle way.

Yea. Best not tell her your an apostate as there is absolutely no good in doing such a thing with old folks.

I would just be grateful for a grandma type that loves me.

Hey, no need to apologize. I think we ALL suffer with this particular problem. My Baptist mother is ALWAYS sending me religious cards, and e-mails (sermons, prayer chains, etc) as if I never left the church. It is infuriating.

You can't slap them around for loving you with a misguided love. It blows chunks.

I suppose that's why we take out our frustrations on Xians on this board and elsewhere. Can't very well slap an old lady around, can we?

Totally relate w/ this.

Every Christmas I get some banal form letter from one or more of my relatives or friends, listing out the "blessings from tha Lawd" and how "Jeezusah has helped them make more money" and ending with the same passive-aggressive statements to end it, insinuating that if you don't agree, well they might as well start the fires now in hell.

"Praying for all the Blessed Gifts from our Lord and Savior..."

"Keeping the 'Christ' in 'Christmas'..."

"Love In Christ"

Whatever happened to "Peace on earth" or "Joy to the World"? Not much argument there.

These are ways to keep the faithful in line and conforming. Without the constant barrage of reinforcement, you just know they'd go bezerk and become pycho murderers. Whatever.

Geez, I guess I needed to rant, too, Amethyst. Thanks. :)

I suppose that's why we take out our frustrations on Xians on this board and elsewhere. Can't very well slap an old lady around, can we?

No, especially not this one. She really is very sweet. She's just completely brainwashed and will most likely die that way, since she's in her 80's.

Geez, I guess I needed to rant, too, Amethyst. Thanks.

No problem.

Also, maybe I should start a separate rant, but...one person in my writer's group is writing a children's story. It's really cute and not very preachy, and would probably sell if she mass-marketed it. But the ending sentence is "God made you special and unique..." It bugs me how these people always have to work God in somehow. :rolleyes:

I just hope that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, that eventually I will be reborn into a skeptical and rational society (preferably one that also encourages creativity). Idealistic, I know. But maybe it will exist someday.

I may be chauvinistic when it comes to old folks. If they say something that I think is ridiculous or insensitive I automatically ignor it. They aint going to be here for much longer and I don't really worry about what they do or think. Aside from thier ridiculous beliefs they are good at being good friends and confidants.

I have no energy to rant about old people because I am a soft bigot when it comes to old folks. Thats just me. What they think about sky pixies don't matter to me. Sometimes half of what they say goes in one ear and out the other. I feel sorry for them.

What they think about sky pixies don't matter to me. Sometimes half of what they say goes in one ear and out the other. I feel sorry for them.

Me, too.

You ain't alone Amethyst. When I got my honour list card from my grandparents it said something along the lines of God helping me to meet my goals in life.

Yeah, I guess Jesus spent all that time pouring over books and study notes, right?

:ugh:

But what can you do?

Okay really weird along the same lines. My non religious father, after I left the church, started sending me religious chain letter in email. :Doh: Whadehey??!!

*shrugs*

Am I the only one here who doesn't mind them, as long as they are NOT sent with the purpose of trying to shove something down your throat?

Zoe: Do they at least address them to your right name?

That'd really be a slap in the face if they used the wrong last name and rubbed your face in religion at the same time.

I, for one, find them offensive. Especially at christmas time.

They use it as a convenient and easy way to proselytize without repercussions.

I, for one, find them offensive.  Especially at christmas time. 

They use it as a convenient and easy way to proselytize without repercussions.

Imagine that. People sending religous cards during a religous Holiday.

What's next. People sending romantic cards on a Romantic holiday? (Valentine's Day...)

The Shock! The Horror! :lmao:

I've had some people think my ankh is a cross.

someone thought my ankh tattoo was a cross. i was pissed.

Received a religious birthday card from a sweet little old lady at the church where I grew up.  She does not know I have deconverted, and probably never will because it would break her heart, and I can't do that.

Arrrrgh!  I hate it when people write things like that.  They might as well say, "If you're not a member of my religious cult, then you will make me cry, because the cult is the only thing in life that matters, not you as a human being."  :ugh:

Why, why, why do people have to send religious cards at all?  Why can't they just send a plain old birthday card?

I feel your pain on this one Amethyst. My grand parents are this way. They are both life long Missionaries and they always write in about how Gawd is in controll and that they are praying for us and blah blah blah blah you get the drift

but yeah JUST SEND A NORMAL CARD PEOPLE!!!

Oh i think it's amusing...i just say...No, it's not a cross, it's an ankh...an egyptian symbol.

well, the guy that asked me knew that i was no longer christian.

There are Pagan crosses also, if I am not mistaken. But most Christians probably wouldn't know the difference, or care.

Reliogious themed cards...just one more way to cash in on the brainwashed. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There are Pagan crosses also, if I am not mistaken.  But most Christians probably wouldn't know the difference, or care.

The Celts had many crosses before Christianity arrived to their lands.

My, what wonderful timing to start posting again.

My birthday is on August 29, and my old church sent me a card. Isn't that sweet of them? I got the card today so I will tell you exactly what it says:

I think you're special... And GOD does too!

Jake- With all the love of JESUS -Pastors Pete and Phyllis Doseck + OBM.

For the record OBM stands for Only Beleive Ministries. The card is one of those stupid vegitail things. *Sigh* If only they knew that I take notes. The thing is, I don't know the pastors. I have never ever spoken to them. But they have my adress and phone number. Gods I hate the mind cults.

-Jake

So move and change your phone number. :)

My, what wonderful timing to start posting again.

My birthday is on August 29, and my old church sent me a card. Isn't that sweet of them? I got the card today so I will tell you exactly what it says:

I think you're special... And GOD does too!

Jake- With all the love of JESUS -Pastors Pete and Phyllis Doseck + OBM.

For the record OBM stands for Only Beleive Ministries. The card is one of those stupid vegitail things. *Sigh* If only they knew that I take notes. The thing is, I don't know the pastors. I have never ever spoken to them. But they have my adress and phone number. Gods I hate the mind cults.

-Jake

If this truly chaps your ass, then you should contact these strangers and have your name and number removed from their church roll. It MAY simply be an oversight on their part. Churches are just businesses like most others. They'll either stop, or you'll just have to make one extra trip to the trash can each year. No big. Just more junk mail. It's THEIR money they're wasting, not yours. :HaHa: