Goodbye Jesus

Christianity: An Exceptional Religion?

sethosayher

Is it me or are Christians obsessed with stressing the supposed uniqueness of their faith? All religions have their particular nuances and many have developed specific and innovative ways of looking at the world and the concept of God...but the commonalities between faiths really outweigh these differences. I constantly hear people talking about how "Unlike the rest of the World, our god is living!" or that "Jesus stressed love, morality and obedience to God, not like the pagan religions of the time." Maybe the rise of Christianity represented a substantial paradigm shift in the way the Roman world approached religion, but at the heart of the myth of Christ are ideas and themes as ancient as man himself....

Morontheists sure are often obsessed about that (to be fair, I don't normally see that shit coming from the moderate/liberal ones around me). No wonder actually. The more they admit that other religions are similar to theirs, the more that might mean that they don't have the truth all to themselves, and that must not be true of course. :Hmm:

It's not just you. Most Christians are so arrogant and uneducated that they think their ripoff religion is the original and that it is unique. Pretty much everything about Christianity was part of religions before theirs or is currently part of other religions. But who really cares. Uniqueness doesn't equal truth. Even if it was unique, it's still stupid and false. Scientology is more original than Christianity and look how dumb THAT religion is.

To those that take their Christianity seriously, it is vital to them to think that they faith is unique and "exceptional." If, after all, it is not, then how can they be assured that they have believed the truth? If their faith is just one of many in the sea of a variety of beliefs, then what right do they have to tell others to "repent and believe?" Because Christianity stresses that it is the one, true religion, then it is imperative that they prove this to others and, surprisingly, to their own selves. Anything less would be to allow the possibility of doubt to enter into their minds.

To my understanding, the most unique aspect of Christianity, is the doctrine in which Christ is the ONLY way to God or Heaven. Even here however, i think the Muslim religion says the same of their prophet.

To my understanding, the most unique aspect of Christianity, is the doctrine in which Christ is the ONLY way to God or Heaven. Even here however, i think the Muslim religion says the same of their prophet.

I hope you are not saying there are no unique aspects to Christianity. I think there actually are.

To the best of my knowledge, Christianity is the only religion with an everlasting, eternal hell. I don't know much about Islam, but from what I have heard their hell isn't eternal.

I think probably Christianity is the only religion with a concept of original sin. I am not sure any other religion has so low a view of humanity at birth.

Yet, to be entirely fair, there is also the angle that the human race is special because God gave it dominion over the earth. We see today the environmental results. Also, strangely enough, given the original sin dogma, Christians have been preoccupied with saving babies and sick people. I understand that was different than the religion of the Roman Empire, for example. Possibly to give these folks time to repent and be receive into the church or saved.

• Super Moderator

The only "value" Christianity has to offer is its uniqueness. It is the "only way" and it is a "relationship" as opposed to mere beliefs and dogma. That's what gives it universal appeal, rather than just cultural or racial ties.

I hope you are not saying there are no unique aspects to Christianity. I think there actually are.

To the best of my knowledge, Christianity is the only religion with an everlasting, eternal hell. I don't know much about Islam, but from what I have heard their hell isn't eternal.

I think probably Christianity is the only religion with a concept of original sin. I am not sure any other religion has so low a view of humanity at birth.

Yet, to be entirely fair, there is also the angle that the human race is special because God gave it dominion over the earth. We see today the environmental results. Also, strangely enough, given the original sin dogma, Christians have been preoccupied with saving babies and sick people. I understand that was different than the religion of the Roman Empire, for example. Possibly to give these folks time to repent and be receive into the church or saved.

What did i write that in any way implied that i felt exclusive passage was the only unique aspect of Christianity?