Goodbye Jesus

Hi, I Used To Be A Christian

Guest John Smith

Guest John Smith

I am an ex christian looking for a new path, I dont need to fully "believe" superstitions but I am hoping to fill the void with a practice such as Buddhism, Taoism..I am not sure.

I dont have much of a testimony other than Christianity, in the ways I have experienced it didnt do much for me, unfortunately.

Would be nice to meet some people who have left their fold and found a peaceful new "way" without being fully absorbed in its superstitions, just a way of life, I have always been drawn to the magical and mystical, so I dont mind stories and myths behind the teachings at all, I think they add imaginative enhancements, maybe one day I will need no crutch at all, but it feels good to have something to hold on to, some hope, some mystery and things like that.

Thats all for now....

Johnny

Hi John, welcome!

I decided to go for Tibetan Buddhism.

Welcome.

I've gotten the most peace by not having a "way". I've become more of a "carpe diem" type guy.

When I was at your stage I enjoyed reading the annotated Tao Te Ching, and the Hua Hu Ching by Lao Tzu.

Even if you decide to lose your mysticism and embrace reality, the philosophy is still enjoyable.

Also going to Kung Fu class has become as cathartic as church used to be.

edit: Also check out The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality by Andre Comte-Sponville

I am an ex christian looking for a new path, I dont need to fully "believe" superstitions but I am hoping to fill the void with a practice such as Buddhism, Taoism..I am not sure.

I dont have much of a testimony other than Christianity, in the ways I have experienced it didnt do much for me, unfortunately.

Would be nice to meet some people who have left their fold and found a peaceful new "way" without being fully absorbed in its superstitions, just a way of life, I have always been drawn to the magical and mystical, so I dont mind stories and myths behind the teachings at all, I think they add imaginative enhancements, maybe one day I will need no crutch at all, but it feels good to have something to hold on to, some hope, some mystery and things like that.

Thats all for now....

Johnny

I decided to follow the Navajo way after I shit canned Christ.

Thats all for now....

Johnny

Johnny,

I've been looking into Zen Buddhism lately. Although it seems to be insistent about the way to sit when you practise zazen, it is generally very open and non-theistic. I don't want to go from one dogmatic religion to another. I've really enjoyed the way I've felt about myself, life and the future as I have practiced and thought about the aspects of Zen I want to experience. That's about all I know to say about Zen, except for me it has been about learning how to just BE rather than do or feel or think, but I believe Zen informs the way we do / feel / think.

• Super Moderator

Personally, I'll believe any old thing that comes along - as long as there is evidence of it being true.

I belong to the Church of Don't-Give-A-Shit. :HaHa:

• 3 months later...

When I was at your stage I enjoyed reading the annotated Tao Te Ching, and the Hua Hu Ching by Lao Tzu.

Even if you decide to lose your mysticism and embrace reality, the philosophy is still enjoyable.

It seems weird to me now, but I too read the Tao Te Ching. I don't think it had anything to do with my beliefs though. I just thought it was interesting.

Now I'm wondering. Did it? Nah, couldn't have. Just coincidence.