Goodbye Jesus

How To Tell My Religious Family

Guest 2diesterne

Guest 2diesterne

Starting in my junior of high school, I gradually began to fall out of Christianity. I still attended church (a mainline Christian denomination) with my parents every week when I was home from college.

I made a good friend who is UU and very into non-religious ethics and philosophy and such. I started attending his UU Society at the beginning of this semester. I'm graduating in mid-May, and will be leaving for China in August, but during the summer, I plan to attend the UU church in my hometown.

My parents would likely be okay if changed from one denomination to another, but I know they believe that UU's are sinners, etc.

I want to tell my parents about my religious feelings, but I am worried that they will:

A) not believe my sincerity

B) believe I have joined a cult

How can I explain my feelings without alienating my family for the remaining three months that I'm in the US?

I think your life will speak louder than your words. I don't know how doctrinaire your family is, so they may not give a rip about your life being good. But most people make gross assumptions about those outside of their religion, so a demonstration along with your speaking with them about it may communicate better than simply announcing it. But be true to yourself, not apologetic, and give them your reasons for the change.

My adult life hasn't spoke louder than words to my relatives as far as I know.

As far as telling your relatives, 2diesterne, I'm still trying to figure out how to tell them without too much upheaval and imposition- from them. I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. :(