Goodbye Jesus

"god Removed Mom's Cyst"

Guest mlewis

Guest mlewis

Tuesday night my mom started having major pains in her abdomen area. It got to be so bad that she insisted that she needed to go to the hospital. I knew it was serious at that point, my mom avoids the hospital at all costs and she never complains when she's sick!

So we took her in the emergency room. Well, it was an hour wait (wtf?) and then she finally went in.

First they thought it could be kidney stones. Then they thought it was an ovarian cyst. She stayed overnight and they did a bunch of tests on her. A scan showed that there was something that looked just like a 10 cm cyst on her ovary and that's the conclusion they came to.

The next day while I was visiting my mom in the hospital while we waited results on whether or not it was cancerous, my brother and sister-in-law were in there. My whole family is hugely religious and I knew I'd have to hear some things that day that I had to try and keep my mouth shut about.

First my brother mentioned hearing a demon in the hospital. His wife said something like, "Oh, like a tarot card reader??" And he replied with, "Yes." He then went on to explain that he can sense the evil presence around and that he has a gift for that. And then described her wailing sounds and growls. Oh man... how hard it was to laugh. My sister-in-law misread my expression and thought I was getting scared. Scared of them? Maybe.

The doctor came in and told us that the results came back negative for cancer. Yay!

But then they go on about how it was because there were a bunch of people praying and that my nephew Jacob was praying and he has a gift. WTF? I've heard them talk about him before in this way. Like, if he prays, he will be listened to. Or that he will show people God. W. T. F.?? If you knew this kid, this whole idea would become even more crazy to you. He's like 12 or something but acts like a 6 year old. He is never disciplined and acts like such a brat. In fact, on easter he hit me in the head with a dumbell on "accident" and NEVER APOLOGIZED. Yeah, he has a gift alright.

Anyways.

My mom went in for surgery the next day and when they went in it turned out that it wasn't a cyst, it was a twisted ovary that was swollen with blood but the surgery went as normal since they had to remove the ovary anyways.

Of course, my family is only looking at the fact that a cyst wasn't there.

My brother's status on facebook states:

"So we laid hands on my mom yesterday and asked God to remove the cyst. They went in to remove it and guess what?"

People are replying to it with things like, "OH GOD IS GOOD!" and guessing that the cyst was gone. But he's not even replying with what REALLY happened. He is letting everyone believe that they went in and found nothing! Like god magically made it disappear! It was a damn misdiagnosis! I couldn't take him pulling that anymore and finally replied with, "It ended up being a twisted ovary that was swollen and filled with blood and that's why she was in so much pain? And the ovary had to be removed anyway?"

Gah.

I guess that's how they get their miracle stories. And that's why so many of us don't believe the stories and/or demand evidence. And that's why they get mad when we request evidence before we can accept the miracle story--because they know the evidence is false to begin with--they just so desperately needed "evidence" of god's existence that they twisted facts into fiction to fabricate a god. IT SUCKS!

Hopefully, your mother is recuperating okay despite all the religious rigmarole.

Wow, quite a story!

I guess people hear what they want to hear and believe what they want to believe, and don't show me any facts that might contradict my opinion or I'll stick my fingers in my ears and say lalalalala.

• Super Moderator

Take the special nephew to every cancer ward and children's hospital in the state and have him pray for healing. Post the results on that facebook account. :Doh:

What a lovely example of "Lying for Jesus", or at the least, "Misrepresenting information for Jesus".

First my brother mentioned hearing a demon in the hospital. His wife said something like, "Oh, like a tarot card reader??" And he replied with, "Yes." He then went on to explain that he can sense the evil presence around and that he has a gift for that. And then described her wailing sounds and growls. Oh man... how hard it was to laugh. My sister-in-law misread my expression and thought I was getting scared. Scared of them? Maybe.

I was taught to believe this as a kid. I'm not going to go into it here because it's been known to kill threads at times, but I'd be willing to discuss it over PM if you're interested.

People are replying to it with things like, "OH GOD IS GOOD!" and guessing that the cyst was gone. But he's not even replying with what REALLY happened. He is letting everyone believe that they went in and found nothing! Like god magically made it disappear! It was a damn misdiagnosis! I couldn't take him pulling that anymore and finally replied with, "It ended up being a twisted ovary that was swollen and filled with blood and that's why she was in so much pain? And the ovary had to be removed anyway?"

People who think this way are really delusional. My mom used to tell me crap about how she was "cured" of epilepsy by "god". Yeah, right. That shit makes me angry, and that must've been really frustrating for you, especially since you were worried about your mom at the time when this happened. I don't know what to say to help you feel better other than that I empathize with you.

Yet another "Miracle" story. You gotta love (or Hate) how many of these pop up all the time. You also can't help but be skeptical that every single one of those stories is just a way to try to keep spreading Christianity to everyone.

I recall a story on the news a few nights ago, about a family trapped in a burning house. The family decided that if one of the 4 or 5 couldnt get out, they'd all burn to death in the fire. Then, the story says "I prayed to Jesus for help and that instant a man walked through the flames and helped us escape"

Don't get me wrong, the initial outcome of these situations are great. Lives are saved in whatever way, the family just has to use that opportunity to pull the "Oh, yeah, well I was praying to jesus and he saved us" I was highly skeptical of that news story, ala "I prayed and within seconds a man appeared to save us" She either saw the man coming and muttered a prayer or they just made that part up.

A man in normal clothes, I might add. No Fire-protected suit. A T-shirt and blue jeans. That makes me think already that they could've gotten out perfectly fine on their own.

Lives are saved, but it makes me so irritated that people aren't justified enough by the fact that their life was saved, but they have to make a huge public jesus statement. When was the last time someone made a huge public statement about Buddah or Thor or Aries. Unless I miss everything, there hasn't been a big public statement about them in a long, long time.

With all due respect to your mother, I can't help but be skeptical about the whole "God healed me" thing.