Goodbye Jesus

The Truth Set Me Free

TheBeast

I grew up in a christian environment, having been brought along to church (often by force) by my mother from an early age until i was old enough to enforce my will on the situation. Then at university, i was taken along to an AOG christian group meeting and became a born again believer soon after. For the next 10 years, fundamental christianity was a consuming focus of my life. I became dedicated to serving God in every way that i could, i had finally found that part of me that had been missing my whole life. I knew deep down inside that the questions of life had been answered, that i had the truth. I was more fundamental than most fundies, reading the bible and listening to word of faith teachings constantly.

Then last year, I noticed that Senator Grassley in the US was initiating an investigation into a number of 'God's Generals', those i had looked up to most. While this didn't bother me, the fact that some weren't cooperating with the investigation bothered me. I thought that we as christians were supposed to be subject to the laws of the land. I began to entertain the possibility that those whom i trusted most could be wrong, and decided that i wasn't going to listen to man any longer. I was going to investigate everything i believed in order to seek the truth wholeheartedly.

Initially my investigation focused on tithing and prosperity teaching. It wasn't long before i realized how much i had been lied too. Though i was a little upset initially (mostly with myself) i was happy to be building a foundation of truth for myself. Unfazed, my quest for truth continued. As i searched deeper and deeper, i had reason to question the foundations upon which christianity is built. To my dismay, an unbiased analysis of the evidence led me to conclude that christianity could not be logically accepted as truth.

I have to offer my thanks to all of you who contribute to this site as you formed an important part of my journey for truth. My deconversion was a lengthy process (over a few months). When i finally agreed in my mind that i was no longer a christian, it was one of the lowest points of my life. Im glad to say that life is picking up now, and the shackles of fear have been broken.

Thankfully, I am now 'over' christianity. I hold no grudges, have nothing against the religion or the people, but i will not be manipulated by it any longer. I hope to be able to continue in my search for truth, and swap thoughts with likeminded (freethinking) people on this site.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

You are welcome.

Every time someone de-converts to freethought of one sort or another from something like X-tianity, the whole of humanity get's a bit closer to sanity....

• Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to Ex-C.

I can't top what Q said....Very eloquent and TRUE!

Every time someone de-converts to freethought of one sort or another from something like X-tianity, the whole of humanity get's a bit closer to sanity....

:welcome:

I can relate some but your deconversion went faster than mine! It took me a few years actually. It started with a traumatic event then I just slowly backed away. For me it was really hard to give up on something I grew up in, believed whole heatedly and FEARED. I think fear was the biggest deal but after finding that the "Greatest Story Ever Sold" is really a copy of past divine figures, well that was the finally. Talk about being pissed at myself for being duped. I still think there is a higher being, though, just not like s/he is described in the Bible. :grin:

Welcome to the forums, TheBeast.

We're always glad to learn that what's written on this site has been helpful to our new members (even prior to their registration). It seems many people lurk for a good period of time before joining us in infamy.

I'm looking forward to your continuing contributions.

Welcome to freedom and welcome to the site.

:welcome:

I can relate some but your deconversion went faster than mine! It took me a few years actually. It started with a traumatic event then I just slowly backed away. For me it was really hard to give up on something I grew up in, believed whole heatedly and FEARED. I think fear was the biggest deal but after finding that the "Greatest Story Ever Sold" is really a copy of past divine figures, well that was the finally. Talk about being pissed at myself for being duped. I still think there is a higher being, though, just not like s/he is described in the Bible. :grin:

For me, fear was the hardest part to get over as well. I never realized just how strongly fear was influencing my life until i started seeing that i had been taught a bunch of lies. That fear of 'what if it really is true and i end up in hell'. Its funny, but a bible verse actually helped me leave my christianity behind (Am i allowed to use bible verses in this thread? lol). Anyway, in revelation 3:16, it says that God will spew us out of his mouth for being lukewarm. As the evidence against christianity began to mount, i knew that i could never be an on-fire fundy christian again. Since God preferred me to be either hot or cold over lukewarm, i accepted his desire and went cold.

Like you, i think it is probable that something else exists. What that is i have no idea. If God exists, i agree that he/she/it/them must be better than the bible God.

You are welcome.

Thanks.

I have a theory that humanity will one day evolve beyond all man-made religions.

Welcome to the forums, TheBeast.

We're always glad to learn that what's written on this site has been helpful to our new members (even prior to their registration). It seems many people lurk for a good period of time before joining us in infamy.

I'm looking forward to your continuing contributions.

Lol. I would have registered earlier (during my searching phase), except i wasnt sure how to label myself. Was i christian? ex-christian? Its that cognitive dissonance at play that stopped me until now.

Welcome to freedom and welcome to the site.

So true. When i first became a christian, there was a big emotional feeling of freedom. The next time i experienced such tremendous freedom was when i finally admitted that i was no longer a believer.

Hello and welcome to Ex-C.

I can't top what Q said....Very eloquent and TRUE!

thanks buffetphan

Guest QuidEstCaritas?
You are welcome.

Thanks.

I have a theory that humanity will one day evolve beyond all man-made religions.

I sure hope so, we look to be set for Dark Ages II as it is. I think we probably will eventually, a long ass time from now; as in hundreds or possibly thousands of years.