Goodbye Jesus

Chiropractic Care

Guest Zoe Grace

Guest Zoe Grace

I'm wondering what your opinions on this issue are?

I hear from some people that Chiropractic care works and has a scientific basis...is a legitimate medical field.

I've heard from others that it's this wacky psuedoscientific cult with weird beliefs about "nerve energy" or some other such rot.

I'm curious as to your opinions.

On the surface it seems that ones bones/joints could become "out of alignment" and be shifted back. But from what I hear this is only the "surface" idea that people who go for chiropractic care are told.

But even if the whole idea behind chiropractice care is to put something "back in alignment" that doesn't necessarily mean it works just cause it "sounds right"

I've been going to a chiropractor for a knee problem. It's a direct result of having too much weight around my middle and these tiny little bird legs. I'm basically "structurally unsound."

It's not that I'm "fat" most people who meet me don't see me as "overweight" it's just that the weight I have is too much for my small frame, and too much in one area which causes too much weight and pressure on my knee.

As time has passed I've had more frequent knee problems...early on...when I didn't weigh as much as I do now...I only had a problem when I did certain types of high impact aerobic exercise. Now it happens more frequently.

I'm thinking chiropractic care isn't really doing anything for it. It still happens, and probably if I'm honest, somewhat more frequently since I've started the care. I'm not sure if I've actually injured my knee and keep reinjuring it or what.

I'm really not sure what I should do about it, besides lose the weight. I know that no matter what the issue, losing this weight can only help matters.

But until then I don't know what I should be doing about it. I don't want to make it worse...at the time time I don't want to spend vast quantities of money on something I'm not sure will help.

Originally the chiropractor was a "well it can't hurt" idea...and my mother in law swears by them...after she was once stuck in traction for 6 weeks, did no good, then went to a chiropractor...but then again people say they are healed by angels all the time too.

Plus the chiropractor didn't cost much...just $35 a visit. But if I go often enough, i'm just pissing small amounts of money away for something which may or may not be helping. So I'm wondering what everyone here thinks?

Has anyone gone to a chiropractor? Did it help? or not?

If you see a chiropractor just make sure it's someone grounded in the physical aspects - there are plenty who think that popping your neck and/or spine will also somehow align your chakra. My wife has been seeing a D.O. who also does chiro work and she swears by them, but just because they get rid of kinks and potentially pinched nerves and such. Just do your research on 'em up front.

I've been to a chiropractor plenty of times. It always seemed to help. I think there are some chiropractors who tend to milk ya. Selling you herbs and cell salts and shit. Or having you come back over and over again, even when you're feeling okay.

Chiropractors sure never hurt me any. Wish I could say the same for the Orthopedic Surgeon who stuck 3" titanium screws in my spine.

I know when I hurt my back, they sure did make a difference. I think I'm on the same plane as the others here. Chiro's seem to be split between the therapuetic care and faith healer varieties. Unfortunately, one has been giving the other a bad name for some time.

To be honest, I've never heard of them using it for a knee injury, but then, I'm no expert either...

I say psdeo. If I want body work, I will take a massage (with a happy ending).

I have a cousin who just graduated from high school and wants to do this type of thing. She knows she has to take lots of biology classes.

I'm sure it's like in every medical field, you will get some quacks who know nothing about science at all, and some who do know their stuff. You just have to be careful of who you trust.

As far as I know, chiropractors can help with some back and joint problems. I think the whole chiropractic theory is quackery, as far as I know. When I was in college, I worked at a UPS plant, and our shift supervisor was a student in a chiropractic college. We were chatting and one evening he explained the whole thing to me, urging me to enroll myself some day. He said chiropractic theory says that many ailments in the body are caused by bones being out of alignment and affecting nerves. The nerves can't do their job and we get chronic ailments. I even went to a chiropractor for acne as a teenager, so I was already into the mindset myself. They didn't deny medicine but they did have a big chip on their shoulder against the AMA, who refused to acknowledge that chiropractic is a legitimate medical discipline. Chiropractors would say that doctors' opposition was just motivated by desire for financial gain - as though they didn't have any such desires themselves.

I haven't studied enough to be able to judge this myself, but my belief is that it might be useful for a knee problem - you could at least go for a while and see. I'm not convinced because my experience is that they put you on a table with a hinged middle portion and then push down on various joints and such. Will the "realignment" amount to more than temporary relief from tension through cracking your joints and massaging the muscles? Don't know. They cannot restore damaged cartilage or anything like that.

I have a bad back that gets aggravated by long hours at the computer desk, so I frequently go to a Chiropractor to get straightened out, and it indeed helps.

However, there is a holistic side to it, and whenever I talk about certain unrelated ailments, my Chiropractor eagerly goes into that discussion. I take it with a grain of salt for the most part.

ficino

Will the "realignment" amount to more than temporary relief from tension through cracking your joints and massaging the muscles? Don't know. They cannot restore damaged cartilage or anything like that.

My uncle says his back quack makes the pain go away and his quack gives him excercises to strengthen his body. Quack: " Strengthen and tone your bodies muscles and you won't need to see me nearly as often. Just stay in shape and don't lift things the wrong way"

I bet the back quaks can help with some problems but not all.

It's a bunch of hooey. 

Please visit the links below...

Chirobase

Quackwatch

They need to actually change thier theory for the whole racket. Then it wont be a racket. They may have some things right though....but not much.

Quackwatch

Be careful of Quackwatch. The folks there are very irrationally biased against Alternative Medicine. I know from personal experience. I had a very unpleasant encounter with them almost 1-1/2 years ago. If anyone is interested, I will share the details of my encounter. The bottom line though was that they couldn't deal with the fact that an Alt Med practitioner quite literally saved my life after traditional medicine had utterly failed me in terms of treating my then rather severe case of Bipolar Disorder. Think about how fundies react when confronted with inconvenient facts and evidence concerning their religion, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how the folks at Quackwatch behaved toward me when I confronted them with the fact that Alt Med actually works - at least it did in my case. They were downright NASTY. Not saying that some of their information isn't accurate and that they aren't generally well-meaning, but be aware of their strong and rather irrational BIAS against Alternative Medicine. And yeah, I'm biased, too. I'm biased against fundies of ANY stripe, including the medical fundies.

I wouldn't be at all suprised Brother Jeff. I say give alternative medicine a chance and at least see what it IS good for if anything. More trial and error for us folks looking for alternatives. I think there is bias on both sides of the fence. I'd rather start with that assumptiom being limited in understanding on the subject anyways.

I'm sure it's like regular medicine in the manner that not everyone's body is different. Some things work for other people, other things work for others. You have to find out what works for you.

I hear from some people that Chiropractic care works and has a scientific basis...is a legitimate medical field.

I'm starting to wonder if all medical fields suffer from some degree of quackery at the core. There just doesn't seem to be the same adherence to the scientific method in medicine as in other sciences.

I'm just fascinated by this interesting juxtaposition:

Evolution - Scientists speak the truth! We must test and observe for proof!

Medicine - Doctors are fundy liars! Scientific testing is biased!

I'm starting to wonder if all medical fields suffer from some degree of quackery at the core.  There just doesn't seem to be the same adherence to the scientific method in medicine as in other sciences.

Psychology is bunk a lota times I think. I'd bet my lunch money that there are many instances that were the scientific method isn't really being used as rigerously as it should in Psychology and Chemical Dependancy.

I'm just fascinated by this interesting juxtaposition:

Evolution - Scientists speak the truth!  We must test and observe for proof!

Medicine - Doctors are fundy liars!  Scientific testing is biased!

Who argued that?

I do believe that many medical doctors don't believe that chiros use the same strict level of statistical significance that other medical professions are held to. I can't deny or defend this though. It's just hearsay on my part.