Goodbye Jesus

Hypnosis

Guest Ramos28

Guest Ramos28

So there seems to be a lot of talk about mental health issues that the members are struggling with.

My question is has anyone tried hypnosis therapy that is supposed to work for fears and phobias, addictions, etc?

Let's hear your thoughts and stories about hypnosis? Did that work for you? Do you think its dangerous? I know the church considers that as being evil.

What do you think?

p.s. i am thinking of finding a hypnosis therapist to work with my fears and phobias but would like to do some research first. I thought to start on this forum.

• Super Moderator

Your psychotherapist should decide what treatment options are appropriate for you. Hypnosis may or may not be right.

So there seems to be a lot of talk about mental health issues that the members are struggling with.

My question is has anyone tried hypnosis therapy that is supposed to work for fears and phobias, addictions, etc?

Let's hear your thoughts and stories about hypnosis? Did that work for you? Do you think its dangerous? I know the church considers that as being evil.

What do you think?

p.s. i am thinking of finding a hypnosis therapist to work with my fears and phobias but would like to do some research first. I thought to start on this forum.

Hypnosis is to be approached very carefully. It can be helpful for some people, but there are a ton of people who have implanted memories from hypnosis of things that never happened.

I think it depends on the type of hypnosis you engage in. Suggestive or regressive hypnosis can be sketchy because of the "false memory" aspect. When they guide the patient with leading questions, it can get a bit dangerous.

However, my psychology professor taught a course on hypnosis and we learned basic stuff about mood alterations and relaxation. That kind works really well on me. It's especially helpful around exam time! You can hypnotize yourself into being fully awake, alert and happy, even after pulling an all nighter. :) Great stuff.

Also, it's important to note that you can't do anything while hypnotized that you don't actually want to. When my friend was practicing on me, she had me take off my socks and then tried to make me forget where I put them. But I have always been adamant that I didn't want to forget anything that happened, so when she "brought me back," I was able to recover those memories.

Overall, I think it's a fun experience, and definitely helpful for a lot of people. But you do have to be careful about what techniques are going to be used on you.

I've actually been to a hypnotist and found it to be a positive experience. It was basically a relaxation technique.

I think that done properly, with someone who is not a quack, it can be useful.

I don't trust hypnosis and I wouldn't trust a practitioner enough to do that on me. Part of the way hypnosis works is that the person being hypnotized has to be suggestible in the first place and I wouldn't want to put myself in that position with a professional, especially one that stands to make some money off of me. Like a previous poster said, false memories can be implanted when hypnosis is used, and that in itself can be traumatic. On a more personal note, I wouldn't want to undergo hypnosis because I don't like when people try to get into my head. It's really invasive and it's not something that I'm used to.

One of my professors this semester does hypnosis as part of his job in law enforcement. He's very skilled, he demonstrated it on a group of students in front of the class, it was pretty cool to watch.

He does emphasize that the mystique around it is hype. If you don't belieive you can be hypnotized, it won't work.

He did tell us about a funny incident 2 semesters ago where a student would not come out of hypnosis. They ended up calling an ambulance and taking him to the hospital. Around 1 AM an ER doctor calls my professor and asks what to do, the hypnotized kid was just standing there. Finally my professor comes up with the idea to put him in a room alone and he snapped out of it. lol

I quit smoking with hypnosis quite easily, stayed off for several years. Attempts later in life proved less successful. Maybe the brain is more open to suggestion earlier in life, who knows. I agree with following a qualified therapist's suggestion. Good luck.

If you count audio CDs that supposedly self-hypnotize you, I tried them and they did not work.