Goodbye Jesus

I'm Almost Free Of My Visiting Fundy Parents

upstarter

They leave today. And part of me will miss them. But I'll tell you what I won't miss. I won't miss stupid shows on my TV every day, like The View and Dr. Phil. I won't miss the constant parade of Veggie Tales videos my mother insists on watching with my children who are too old for them now. And I really really won't miss my mother calling the bible "God's book" whenever she talks to my children, like they are some kind of morons. Such as, "in God's book Goliath was 9 feet tall", "In God's book David wore a fancy coat".

I have managed to dodge most of the religious nonsense my mother has tried to engage me in, like the constant poking about how I need to teach my children about Jesus. Blah. I'm sure she thinks I leave the room whenever religion comes up because "God is convicting my heart" or some such drivel. Whatever. I feel no conviction... other than the conviction that getting out of xtianity was the best thing I ever did.

I survived two weeks. Two weeks without a major blowout with my mother. I'm proud. :)

Heather

I survived two weeks. Two weeks without a major blowout with my mother. I'm proud. :)

Heather

And you should be proud!!!! Congratulations! I would say you exercised extreme self-control. Now everyone can enjoy their memories of a nice visit. Well done.

Do we have the same mother?

Glad the visit was tolerable. My mother would never come visit where I am.... in Korea but I am putting myself in that environment in June when the kids and I go for a visit. My mom does the same thing to me "you need to teach your boys to love God and Jesus so they can be men of God, that is if Jesus doesn't come back because I am sure he will be back in my lifetime." :Wendywhatever:

Here's a nice little resource for ex-Christian parents whose children have to contend with fundy family:

Illustrated Stories From The Bible (that they won't teach you in Sunday School)

Some of the links to stories just take you to the home page so they can try to get you to buy the book, but there are a number of links to stories they've done that are free online.

...I feel no conviction... other than the conviction that getting out of xtianity was the best thing I ever did.

I second that!

Good for you Upsie!

Neither of we have living parents at all. Sometimes that is a *good thing*. Brothers and sisters are distant, we don't see the xtian folks often, nor care to.

Glad the parents didn't leave too much of a pile to clean up ;)

kL

Congrats hon! You handled that with much better grace than I have in the past. I remember a Thanksgiving when my kids were being forcefed Veggie Tales and I had a small bottle of vodka hidden behind the toilet in the spare bathroom. Not an alcoholic, but if I were around them all the time, I would be!

I have to wonder how you prep your kids to handle it so compassionately. Mine would hardly sit through Veggie Tales, it wouldn't matter if the Jonas Brothers, Captain Jack Sparrow and Wolverine were chiming in to ask them - let alone the grandparents.

Ha, yeah, you leave the room when Jeebus is brought up because of "conviction." Same reason people avoid George Bush, right? They're "convicted" of something. It just ain't what he'd hope for. :)

I have to wonder how you prep your kids to handle it so compassionately. Mine would hardly sit through Veggie Tales, it wouldn't matter if the Jonas Brothers, Captain Jack Sparrow and Wolverine were chiming in to ask them - let alone the grandparents.

Thing is my kids really enjoy Veggie Tales. Grandma has been sending them for YEARS. And we even think they are pretty funny. I mean if you think of the stories as fiction (as we do of course) then you can enjoy the humour of them as much as anything. I mean really, the Veggie version of Joshua and the battle of Jericho is very funny and really points out the utter stupidity of the bible story, IMO.

My kids have mostly outgrown them now, but they don't mind watching them. I don't even mind watching them as long as Grandma isn't here, chiming in about "god's book".

Thing is my kids really enjoy Veggie Tales. Grandma has been sending them for YEARS. And we even think they are pretty funny. I mean if you think of the stories as fiction (as we do of course) then you can enjoy the humour of them as much as anything. I mean really, the Veggie version of Joshua and the battle of Jericho is very funny and really points out the utter stupidity of the bible story, IMO.

The absolutely best one is the Giant Pickle and the squash David is twirlling the sling around by his squat little stump of a stem. Kills me every time.

The absolutely best one is the Giant Pickle and the squash David is twirlling the sling around by his squat little stump of a stem. Kills me every time.

Sounds like something I'd like to see!!!! :wicked:

Guest RATIONAL EYES

congrats

i dont think i'd be able to hang,i wouldnt have the patience for 2 weeks without going off on someone

They leave today. And part of me will miss them. But I'll tell you what I won't miss. I won't miss stupid shows on my TV every day, like The View and Dr. Phil. I won't miss the constant parade of Veggie Tales videos my mother insists on watching with my children who are too old for them now. And I really really won't miss my mother calling the bible "God's book" whenever she talks to my children, like they are some kind of morons. Such as, "in God's book Goliath was 9 feet tall", "In God's book David wore a fancy coat".

I have managed to dodge most of the religious nonsense my mother has tried to engage me in, like the constant poking about how I need to teach my children about Jesus. Blah. I'm sure she thinks I leave the room whenever religion comes up because "God is convicting my heart" or some such drivel. Whatever. I feel no conviction... other than the conviction that getting out of xtianity was the best thing I ever did.

Heather

Two weeks with fundy parents and no one was murdered? Good job!