Goodbye Jesus

God's Perfection Displayed In Child Birth

Looking4Answers

As a Christian, I don't think I ever had an explanation on spontaneous abortions. If you say that it was because the god thought it would be better for the child to not live, then why did he let it be conceived?

Mathgeek, that is a heartbreaking story. Why would God make you go through that? Maybe if you still believed you could rationalize it as he was making you stronger, teaching you to trust him not medical science or your own expectations, blah blah blah. It's all just empty words, isn't it? If Christians really wanted to help when people have horrible experiences like yours they would be best to shut up and just be a friend.

My son was born with a birth defect. It's not a serious one, but it's serious enough that he will likely be teased when he goes to school, he will have to work harder than other kids to do the same things and he will always be an outsider on one way or another.

At first, when I found out about it on the ultrasound, I thought I was OK with it. I didn't know why God would allow this to happen, but I trusted there was some reason. And maybe someday when something good happened directly related to his birth defect, I could have pointed to it and said, hey, look, God had a purpose in mind when he designed my son.

But after a series of trying events leading up to his premature birth, I came to a realization.

Things don't happen for a reason. They just happen.

There is no purpose other than what we choose to see in something.

That started my deconversion landslide, which had been severely undercut for some time now. All it needed was a heavy rain.

• 2 months later...

If "gawd" is the one that "fashions" babies in the womb, doesn't that make him a dick?