Goodbye Jesus

What Did You Do With Your Bible After Leaving?

happyfeet115

What did you do with your actual bible after leaving Christianity?

My bible cover is made out of leather. Being vegan, I have considered burning it or burying it, out of respect for the animal that had to die to cover "god's word". I also might keep it for use in future debates.

I kept it for reference. It's between Peter Pan and Willy Wonka on the bookshelf.

Mine was a gift so it's still around in a box. I also burned one that was of no particular value.

mwc

We also keep ours for reference. They are on a shelf with the atlas and the dictionaries. If we had a mythology section it would probably go there.

You never know when those pesky xtians are going to throw a reference at you that you need to look up.

Heather

I've few free NTs in my room,but a familiar borrowed my OT. Think I'll ask her to return the book,it's been almost a year now.

Reference? That's what the internet is for: biblegateway.com.

Mine's on my bedroom floor, covered with a pile of random junk. Sometimes I step on it when I go to open or close the window.

I had several different versions of bibles laying around and pitched all of them along with my commentaries and various other christian literature. Only kept a small pocket NIV bible for reference.

I keep mine for reference. It's next to the tao te ching and other spiritual books I read during my seeking phase. I also used it once when I went to a Halloween party as a catholic priest. After that party it sat in my car trunk for probably 6 months because i was too lazy to take it back inside...

My Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants (The 3rd Holy Book), My Daily Journal, and everything that reminded me of that horrid two years was dumped in the trash can about a week after I made my decision to leave for good The only regret I have is throwing away the journal. The Mormons were big back then on everyone keeping a journal. I think I would like to read it now thirty years later.

I still have a bible in the house for reference, but I think my partner must have had it when we met, I know I never bought one.

I had several Bibles when I deconverted. I kept my NASB study Bible and an heirloom KJV from my grandmother, as well as a Greek/English interlinear NT.

The others I put in the recycling bin, for the most part. Another one I tore up and used in art projects. I've also been known to use the occasional Bible page as a rolling paper, but that's mostly for the rare novelty as the inks aren't terribly healthy.

I think we put them all in storage... I don't know where they went. Maybe I still have the gold-edge leather-bound KJV / Copeland edition still in my office. Not sure.

My mom sent a bunch of NTs to my kids for Christmas. I gave it to them and ordered them to read. They read a few chapters, but thought things were too funny. This guy beget that guy etc... They made fun of the names. I don't know where they are anymore either.

My kids are agnostic/atheists too. Not by my influence. I let them make up their own mind. We have Catholic friends, who took them to church a couple of times, and we had them to Vineyard and other places when they were younger. But it didn't stick. Kind of proves the angle of parental influence, I guess, even if I didn't attempt to do it.

I had a huge library of educational books about the Bible and Christianity, but I think we threw most of them away. If they're still in storage I should go through and clean it up.

I'm not one of those people that had a ton of bibles to begin with. The one I still have (contains both old and new testaments and also includes some extra OT books that were taken out by the protestants) sits on a bookshelf next to my Greek mythology book.

Guest ephymeris

I still have mine for two sentimental reasons. My mom bought it for me and it was the first thing to have my married name on it. I put my married name on it about 6 months before I was married. My husband still has a "Truth for Youth" propaganda rag that was given to him and taught in his christian school. It goes over various evils such as homosexuality and mormons in the most derogatory and offensive of ways.

I still have a small collection of bibles. I've always had a thing about throwing away books, so I don't think I'll be getting rid of them anytime soon.

I have mine on my desk in my room because im pretending I still read it.

My father has like 5 bibles. One is huge and he gets it out to fight those evil darwinists in emails.

theres a bible behind me open to a page behind me on my fathers desk. Its unsettling.

I gave the one that I was given as a child to my mother, as I knew she would want it for sentimental reasons. As for the others...

I went green! My Bibles have been recycled. Maybe some Fundie is using them for toilet paper... ;)

I have one that's been a family heirloom for a while so I won't get rid of that. The one I actually used was a confirmation present or something. It's lying around somewhere.

What did you do with your actual bible after leaving Christianity?

All babbles I own, as well as the horror-ran and all other morontheist stuff, are stowed away in a cardboard box labeled "enemy propaganda" along with mein kampf.

No really. I mean it. :fdevil:

I tossed it.

I still have them in a cabinet somewhere. I have 4 or 5 versions. I haven't really thought about what to do about them. I am sure I'll keep a couple, one is a pocket sized NIV and another is a student Bible. It has room for notes, makes it very handy when pointing out discrepancies. Also, it's true we have the internet but sometimes we are nowhere near a computer so having a hard copy is still handy.

So nobody's wiped their ass with it?

Disappointing. :Hmm:

Hey, one of you ought to do that.

You know, just for the hell of it. And then report back to us.

C'mon... do it. :wicked:

I saved the one I got for my first communion (a RSV) and it is filled to the brim with my notes and highlights after de-converting. I've thought about getting a new one and color coding the verses, pink highlight for violent verses or killing commandments, green for contradictions, etc. I think it would make it easier to find things quickly.

But I went through my house a few years ago and took up every superfluous bible that wasn't a family heirloom (my grandfather has a few Mason bibles, for example) and burned them all in my fire pit last winter. It was a glorious feeling, and I wish I had more bibles to burn. They burn real slow, it's great to get the wood started.

I'm currently debating whether I should steal all my baptism stuff from my mom and burn all that stuff too. I'm sure she wouldn't notice it for years, if at all. I want to erase all evidence I was ever involved in that death cult.

I saved the one I got for my first communion (a RSV) and it is filled to the brim with my notes and highlights after de-converting. I've thought about getting a new one and color coding the verses, pink highlight for violent verses or killing commandments, green for contradictions, etc. I think it would make it easier to find things quickly.
I wish the Skeptics' Annotated Bible would release a published version complete with footnotes about contradictions and commentaries. I would so buy it if they did or if they had some study bible made for non-Christians that highlights all the errors.

I burned mine. As Marty said, it's amazing how long it takes to burn a bible. I still have my Dad's old, leather-bound, gilt-edged Scofield Reference Edition and Concordance bible, which he used when he attended Moody Bible Institute, back when he was studying for his ordination. Taped in the front is this:

Certificate of Ordination

We, the undersigned, hereby certify that upon the recommendation and request

of the First Bethany Baptist Church of Sheridan Wyoming which had full and

sufficient opportunity for judging of his gifts, and after satisfactory

examination by us in regard to his

Christian experience, call to the ministry, and views of

Bible Doctrine,

Chas, Milton Cunningham

was solemnly and publicly set apart and ordained to the work

of The Gospel Ministry by authority and order

of the First Bethany Baptist Church

at Sheridan, Wyoming, on the 13th day

of April, 1949.

Ordaining Council (List of signatories.)

The thing that makes this precious to me is that both Mom and Dad are very much like most members of Ex-C in that they took responsibility for reconciling their problems with Christian doctrine, the bible and history, which led to them both renouncing their Christianity!

Fuckin' A, Mom and Dad!

The copyright dates in this bible are 1909 and 1917.

It's just really interesting for me, personally. All my life, Dad has referred to Moody Bible Institute as, "Moody Insta-Bible Toot."