Goodbye Jesus

Grandparents With One Track Minds

deepblue

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Yesterday I drove down to the south coast to visit my grandparents. I hadn't been since Christmas, and I don't think I'll be back any time soon. Nearly all they could talk about was religion, and asking me why wasn't I going to church, etc, etc. All the rest of my family (and extended family) are churchgoing Bible fanatics, and my grandad seems baffled that I am no longer interested.

It happens every time I go down there. I've vowed not to go back until next Christmas, and not even then if I can manage it. It has become clear to me that they don't respect me for who I am. All they are interested in is Christianity and whether I follow it or not. They think it, breathe it, speak it, live in it. I can't remember either of them ever having had any hobbies. All they can do is sit and talk about religion. To me, it's a sign of a weak mind.

I can hold my own pretty well and come up with some good arguments that get them going, but I'm really not interested. When my parents turned up an hour and a half later (also to visit them), I knew it was time to get out of there. I get on with my parents well, and they hardly ever bring up the subject of religion anymore, but I wasn't sticking around and risking things getting worse with my Grandad there. In any case, all he would have talked about with them was Christian stuff, and I wasn't in the mood to play the part of a bystander to an irrelevant conversation.

Thankfully my grandparents are 87 and 94, so not long to go now...

Jon.

Heh. At that age I'd probably just indulge them.

If they've lived that long, maybe you should just change the subject and quizz them on stuff they did during their lives. Tell them you one day want to do a family history (and you may) and you'd like to hear some of their stories.

At least it might get them off the merry-go-round for a bit.

Yea, I try that but most of the time it doesn't really work!

When you've spent the vast majority of your life preparing for a "Better life" after death, you wouldn't want some punk kid telling you it was all in vain when you're so close to the end. It'd be like saving all your money into a pension fund, to have someone tell you near your retirement that the money wasn't there.

My dad is in his 70s. The older he gets the more he preaches about his faith, I think to keep his mind set on God and preparing for his own death. After I deconverted, it used to bug the crap out of me whenever he went on a preaching spree about faith but no so much anymore. If he wants to believe in a special place for him when he dies, so be it. What does it hurt that he believes? i don't believe it and that is what is more important to me. I've seen him under a lot of stress following a heart attack and the only thing that calmed him down was the gospel channel on his television in his hospital room. Old people like things that are familiar. they do not like making drastic changes in their living patterns such as going to church every week, the post office every day, or BINGO night. After all, he was a Baptist minister for over 50 years! I do not bring up the subject of religion since his heart attack. He's happy as a believer.

When you've spent the vast majority of your life preparing for a "Better life" after death, you wouldn't want some punk kid telling you it was all in vain when you're so close to the end. It'd be like saving all your money into a pension fund, to have someone tell you near your retirement that the money wasn't there.

Yeah, with people that old, it is liking telling a little kid that there is no Santa Claus on

Christmas morning and no presents for you! I say just humor them and let

them live out there few days content in their delusions.

Good advice there. I don't think I was telling them what to do, but rather trying to answer their questions about why I no longer go to church.