Goodbye Jesus

Worship Music

Arctic

I was just thinking about the involvement of worship music used to convert people in the southern church's I have been involved in,

because am not sure if I would have been converted to xianty when I was young if it was not for those emotional god and Jesus songs,

sometimes I wonder if the majority convert to xianty because the music drives them to alters by gripping there emotions,

my mother and father are both on church worship teams and my father plays piano and is often the worship leader when the main one is out, and I remember watching how the worship teams chose and practiced there music, they made sure to include different styles from up beat and then go emotional slow, then upbeat and end it with a emotional love Jesus song,

I remember how they used soft music to coax people to alters and what not,

I was just wondering if alot of people would not otherwise get so deep into it if they were not being manipulated by song.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

worship music sounds so mindless and zombie to me.

I prefer a "slightly different" worship music anyway... try Manowar's "Swords in the wind" on for size :fdevil:

I always hated that kind of music. It's awful. aliena_vampirshrek.gif

Looking back there is one song that gets under my skin.

"Trust & Obey"

It's the way it's sung and the main lyrics are "trust and obey for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey." Bear in mind I come from a Church of Christ (non instrumental worship) background, so the vocal only songs sound even more controlling and eerier.

I hate "Just As I Am" a song permanently etched into my brain from probably hundreds of altar calls.

It makes you feel like a total loser. "Just As I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me".

I have a friend who teaches sunday school and he sometimes shows me some songs his dreamteam plays. Not to convert me (he knows better :P), but in a "hey, check this out" kinda vibe. I remember one in particular that made me lol. Somewhere in the main chorus, it has something like this: "He (Big Jay Cee) suffers with the junkie/ and bleeds on the children" I dunno why, that allways made me picture old Jay Cee with his wrists slit running after a group of small children, trying to splash them with his blood...

Anyway, church music to me sounds very bland. It has no personality. Run of the mill vanilla ice cream, it stirs no emotion. Then when the dude invariably starts spouting stuff about how he loves jesus and how life is so much win with him, it just creeps me out. It looks like something out of the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers...

All music instills some kind of emotion. Classical music can be epic and sad. Metal is rage and power. Now jesus music? It seems like the guy is high on something...

Gee thanks for reminding me how mindless I used to be when they played this crap. :D

Looking back there is one song that gets under my skin.

"Trust & Obey"

It's the way it's sung and the main lyrics are "trust and obey for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey." Bear in mind I come from a Church of Christ (non instrumental worship) background, so the vocal only songs sound even more controlling and eerier.

Gah!!! I hated that hymn too. Damnit, now I have it going through my head.

Other songs I found particularly distasteful; anything with the words "move in me." Made me think of either pregnancy or sex. I have to admit I just couldn't sing those songs, and there were several versions.

I replaced p&w music with Celtic, folk and alternative. I've always loved and listened to classical, so I often have that going in the house, and I dug into my celtic heritage (Scottish and Irish) and I love traditional celtic folk and the newer celtic punk, rock and some "new age" too. I've found a lot of alternative to be kinda folky and I'll listen to that when the mood strikes. Then of course, there's the dark stuff like 69 Eyes and Within Temptation that I like too. I was so into music and CCM was all I listened to for 20 years. It was hard letting go of it and finding something to replace it but I like where I am at musically now. I sing, am learning to play violin and bass guitar and play a bit of guitar and keyboard. My 9 year old daughter plays the drums, my 7 year old has her own electric guitar and is learning to play it, my son likes the bass and plays trombone in school band, and we all sing. Our entire finished off 3rd floor in our 3,000 square foot Victorian is a huge music room with a keyboard, full set of drums, two acoustics (one with an electric pickup), an electric guitar, a bass guitar, violin, amps, and probably a lot more to be added in the coming year. Our guitar stand is a giant set of headphones -- six feet long and earpads three times the size of my head. It was an old prop from one of the stations I work for and I lined it with padding and made it into a guitar stand. Yes, we love our music.

post-5369-1243517980_thumb.jpg

post-5369-1243517997_thumb.jpg

I have a friend who teaches sunday school and he sometimes shows me some songs his dreamteam plays. Not to convert me (he knows better :P), but in a "hey, check this out" kinda vibe. I remember one in particular that made me lol. Somewhere in the main chorus, it has something like this: "He (Big Jay Cee) suffers with the junkie/ and bleeds on the children" I dunno why, that allways made me picture old Jay Cee with his wrists slit running after a group of small children, trying to splash them with his blood...

Anyway, church music to me sounds very bland. It has no personality. Run of the mill vanilla ice cream, it stirs no emotion.

I got the same mental image when I first read the lyrics you posted. And I agree that all xtian worship music sounds the same. There are a few good tunes here and there I still like, but most of them all have the same tune and cheesy rhyming. And is just me or does it seem like all the old songs from like the 1900s or whatever all sound very slow moving and dragging and make you wish they would end already but all the newer songs are more upbeat and bouncy? The Freedom From Religion Foundation podcast recently did an episode on the pro-torture message of church hymns. It's in the second half of this episode: http://cdn4.libsyn.com/ffrf/FTradio_161_05...de544993afdc3dc Looking back at those songs, it is kind of creepy for xtians to teach kids to sing that song There Is Power In The Blood. And how does blood wash away something anyway? Doesn't it just make it more dirty?

The image I got was Jesus spreading his legs and a facet of blood pours from him, bathing the kids--ala Elizabeth Bathory.

God, I hated worship music so much. I just loathed it. I mean, in my off-time I listened to everything from John Zorn to Napalm Death to all kinds of other weird, bizarro, interesting shit. And then I was expected to be into this easy listening shit that was too sonically innocuous, musically awful, and schmaltzy even for the inside of a fucking K-Mart?

The ones that creeped me out the most were those slow Vineyard song. I remember one in particular that went "an intoxicating fragrance / I breathe you into me." What the fuck!? The first image I get is of a fart fetishist sticking his nose in God's butthole. Or somebody burying their face in the Virgin Mary's stinky pussy. Or Jesus sending a cumshot up somebody's left nostril and into their sinuses.