Goodbye Jesus

Math Proves Christ's Resurrection! Glory!

Brother Jeff

I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the "Humor and Satire" section. :grin:

Math Proves Christ's Resurrection?

It is faith, not proof, that makes Christians believe in Jesus Christ's resurrection, the central tenet of the religion. Until now.

Oxford University professor Richard Swinburne, a leading philosopher of religion, has seemingly done the impossible. Using logic and mathematics, he has created a formula that he says shows a 97 percent certainty that Jesus Christ was resurrected by God the Father, report The Age and Catholic News.

This stunning conclusion was made based on a series of complex calculations grounded in the following logic:

1. The probably of God's existence is one in two. That is, God either exists or doesn't.

2. The probability that God became incarnate, that is embodied in human form, is also one in two.

3. The evidence for God's existence is an argument for the resurrection.

4. The chance of Christ's resurrection not being reported by the gospels has a probability of one in 10.

5. Considering all these factors together, there is a one in 1,000 chance that the resurrection is not true.

"New Testament scholars say the only evidences are witnesses in the four gospels. That's only five percent of the evidence," Swinburne said in a lecture he gave at the Australian Catholic University in Melbourne. "We can't judge the question of the resurrection unless we ask first whether there's reason to suppose there is a God. Secondly, if we have reason to suppose he would become incarnate, and thirdly, if he did, whether he would live the sort of life Jesus did." He says that even Jesus' life is not enough proof. However, the resurrection is "God's signature," which shows "his approval of Jesus' teaching."

The calculations that Swinburne says prove the resurrection are detailed in his book, "The Resurrection of God Incarnate."

This was posted to the RIBS Glorious Forums recently by Brother Sean, located here:

http://www.religionisbullshit.org/forums/i...p?showtopic=308

Using logic

Rather flawed logic, I would say.

3. The evidence for God's existence is an argument for the resurrection.

Only if "God" is the Christian god. Plenty of other gods could exist (and have been said to exist) who have never sacrificed themselves to themselves or magically undeadened themselves.

4. The chance of Christ's resurrection not being reported by the gospels has a probability of one in 10.

Where did he get those numbers? Did he pull them out of his ass? I'd say the chance is actually ZERO considering the fact that these ancient anonymously written religious tracts were written for the express purpose of convincing others that Kryasst was Gawd and that he had been Magically Undeadened. (John 20:31)

5. Considering all these factors together, there is a one in 1,000 chance that the resurrection is not true.

More "Ass Numbers"? :D I'd say that there is a 100% chance that the alleged Magical Undeadening of Kryasst is not true.

New Testament scholars say the only evidences are witnesses in the four gospels.

Damn, that's bad, given the fact that the "witnesses" all contradict each other.

That's only five percent of the evidence,

More "Ass Numbers"? :D

"We can't judge the question of the resurrection unless we ask first whether there's reason to suppose there is a God. Secondly, if we have reason to suppose he would become incarnate, and thirdly, if he did, whether he would live the sort of life Jesus did."

There is no rational reason to suppose that there is a God, outside of mythology there is no reason to suppose he would become incarnate, and no reason to believe that he would live like Kryasst. I'd say the resurrection is rather questionable!

However, the resurrection is "God's signature," which shows "his approval of Jesus' teaching."

BULLSHIT. I mean, according to Christian mythology. In REALITY, there is no god who can approve or disapprove of anybody's life, including that of Kryasst.

I wonder if the fundies who throw out this kind of simplistic, poorly thought out bullshit in defense of their beliefs have any idea how ridiculous they look?

Guest Winchester Slate

With that logic, if God really exists, the probability is one in two that he's a prostitute. Either he is or he isn't.

And no, it is mathmatically impossible to start with 50/50 odds that God exists and end up with a 99.99% chance that the resurrection happened. If you're starting with a 50% chance that God even exists, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that the probability of the resurrection happening could be any more than that.