Goodbye Jesus

God And Science

Guest Davka

Guest Davka

OK, this thread is a bit of a poke at the very premise of this forum, Science vs. Religion. It seems to me that it should be "Science and Religion," not vs. Because the two are utterly unrelated. It's like having a forum called cupcakes vs. marine biology, or movie reviews vs. airplane blueprints.

Science is all about measurable, repeatable phenomena. Religion is all about individual experience of an unmeasurable, invisible Being or beings. Since the very core of religion, supernatural phenomena, is by definition outside the arena of science, why even bother to pit them against each other?

Now, when religious people make the stupid mistake of claiming a scientific basis for their beliefs, that's another matter entirely. They should be cut off at the knees and fed to a crowd of ravenous fangirls. Similarly, religious fanatics who claim that scientific conclusions cannot be true because the invisible, immeasurable sky daddy said so should be waterboarded until they see the light, or drown. I don't really care which.

But trying to prove or disprove religion with science is just silly. We can disprove a literal interpretation in mythological accounts like the Bible, but we cannot prove or disprove the existence of supernatural phenomena which supposedly operate outside of the laws of physics. That's like trying to measure time in inches, or calculate how much evaporated water will fit into this paragraph. Maybe God was behind the Big Bang. Who knows? It doesn't really matter, as long as we're not trying to write EA=MC2/GodΩ

So how about it, Christians? Admit that God is unprovable, and we'll concede the same. We can argue about your silly contentions that the Bible is anything like an accurate history, as long as nobody's trying to prove or disprove GOD^cappuccino.

So how about it, Christians? Admit that God is unprovable, and we'll concede the same.

Davka - If you get LNC to 'Admit that God is unprovable' I'll eat my underwear. He reminds me of that Monty Python sketch, as seen here >>'The Argument Clinic'.

Guest Davka
So how about it, Christians? Admit that God is unprovable, and we'll concede the same.

Davka - If you get LNC to 'Admit that God is unprovable' I'll eat my underwear. He reminds me of that Monty Python sketch, as seen here >>'The Argument Clinic'.

More like the Black Knight in Holy Grail -

King Arthur: Look, you stupid Bastard. You've got no arms left.

Black Knight: Yes I have.

King Arthur: Look!

Black Knight: It's just a flesh wound.

Oh, that's where that's from... basically, I go to these Sonic the Hedgehog forums, and the last Sonic game that came out was Sonic in the story of King Arthur "Sonic and the Black Knight" and yeah... "It's just a flesh wound" came up a lot.

And God is unprovable... I guess. Anyway I think Religion should accept Science as it is understood, and someday maybe the unexplainable will be explainable.

Oh, come on Davka, what do you think drives the scientific search anyhow? The search for eco-friendly peanut butter?

Davka I think your flamboyance is entertaining in small doses.

Guest Davka

Is that a subtle way of telling me I should shut up more often?

Guest Davka
Oh, come on Davka, what do you think drives the scientific search anyhow?

The same survival instinct that drives everything in life. Beings without a strong will to survive die out.

In humans, the best path to survival lies in our curiosity about the world around us, and our desire to figure out how things work. It's what made us capable of making weapons, and cooking with fire, and all the other things that have made it possible for us to become the dominant life form on the planet. It fits perfectly with the concept of survival of the fittest.

No sky daddy is needed to explain our drive to discover and learn.

So how about it, Christians? Admit that God is unprovable, and we'll concede the same. We can argue about your silly contentions that the Bible is anything like an accurate history, as long as nobody's trying to prove or disprove GOD^cappuccino.

Where did it say He is suppose to be provable?? I can neither prove or disprove God with science because science in it's rawest form is basically human observation and conformation of those observations, along with intuitive creativity. Science is defined by humans, and if humans were defined by a God, then science couldn't define God, but only be limited to the defined in human thought and process.

Faith, regardless of religious orientation or not, can't be scientifically measured. Science is good, and I keep interested in it, but it is a human concept, .... with no gray area, created fully by human beings.

I think the title is funny as well, as it really is just two completely opposite worlds, at least in my mind anyway ^_^

Is that a subtle way of telling me I should shut up more often?

I suppose one could interpret it that way. :HaHa:

Another way might be to say that you’re like a fine spice which is best used sparingly.

Science is good, and I keep interested in it, but it is a human concept, .... with no gray area, created fully by human beings.

Similarly religion, as you say, is a "human concept". The difference is Science actually solves problems and gives us tangible results. Religion gives us divisiveness, wars, and is constantly trying to water down the advancements of Science.