Goodbye Jesus

Enshrining Ignorance

Guest Davka

Guest Davka

I've lived in Tennessee for 10 years now, and I am still blown away by the high regard in which ignorance is held. Professionally made signs are routinely misspelled. People will proudly announce that they're no good at math, and in a room full of Southerners, it's hard to find anyone who will admit to being able to solve a simple algebraic equation.

Being seen as intelligent is a negative thing here. I still remember a neighbor introducing me to her friend a few years back - this was after I had helped fix the neighbor's computer. She said "this is Sean, he's real smart, but you'd never know it!" That was intended as a compliment: even though I can fix computers and do fancy stuff like spell correctly, I still act just like a real person!

The local High School worships football, but the teachers cannot compose a simple sentence in the notes they send home. We decided to homeschool our kids after our oldest spent a thoroughly unproductive first year in high school. We managed to instill a love of learning in our kids, while their public-schooled peers are afraid of being perceived as smart.

Please, please tell me this is a localized phenomenon. I would hate to think that this anti-intellectual disease has spread nationwide.

Please, please tell me this is a localized phenomenon. I would hate to think that this anti-intellectual disease has spread nationwide.

It would be easier for me to list the towns in Oklahoma that DON'T match this description. If you could figure out how to teach mathematics with Guitar Hero the U.S. might have a chance, but I think not. We are destined to be China's bitch within the next 20 years.

This generalization of the South is really starting to rub me the wrong way. I’m from North Carolina. And I love it here. Sure, there are pockets of people who make a virtue of their own ignorance (as is the case anywhere I imagine). But we also have many talented and intelligent people.

In addition, I’ve learned some things about saying, “I don’t know.” Sometimes, it’s the most honest thing to say. I suspect there is often a vast gulf between what we certainly know and what we only believe we know. Another thing, “I don’t know” can often be meaningfully interpreted as a declaration of authority. That may seem strange to some. But I’ve seen people use it as a means to establish boundaries.

The South that I’m familiar with is a rich and diverse place and does not lend itself to easy generalizations. But I recognize that some people need to demean others as a way of lifting themselves (in their own eyes).

• Super Moderator

The Strawberry Festival is a pretty big deal for Plant City, Florida. Due to the high traffic volume one of those programmable signs was put out by the freeway. It read, "Exit here for festible parking."

Guest Davka
This generalization of the South is really starting to rub me the wrong way. I’m from North Carolina.

That doesn't count. I mean, it's got the word "North" right there in it's name! And besides, you guys have Asheville, which is clearly a transplanted California Hippie College town.

OK, seriously - there are intelligent, thoughtful people here as well. I'm talking about an overarching anti-intellectual attitude, not a lack of intelligence. I'm sure the bell curve looks the same here as anywhere else - the difference is that people here are not supposed to be intelligent. Being openly smart makes you a pointy-headed librul - Hell, you might as well be a damned Yankee if you're gonna go around acting all smart-like and stuff!

There really seems to be a strong distrust of intellectuals in the South, which causes many intelligent folks to be "closeted."

This generalization of the South is really starting to rub me the wrong way. I’m from North Carolina. And I love it here. Sure, there are pockets of people who make a virtue of their own ignorance (as is the case anywhere I imagine). But we also have many talented and intelligent people.

In addition, I’ve learned some things about saying, “I don’t know.” Sometimes, it’s the most honest thing to say. I suspect there is often a vast gulf between what we certainly know and what we only believe we know. Another thing, “I don’t know” can often be meaningfully interpreted as a declaration of authority. That may seem strange to some. But I’ve seen people use it as a means to establish boundaries.

The South that I’m familiar with is a rich and diverse place and does not lend itself to easy generalizations. But I recognize that some people need to demean others as a way of lifting themselves (in their own eyes).

Legion- O.K., duly noted. But some of us are living in REALLY stupid places in the south. Let's talk about Oklahoma for 1 second.

- These are all very recent events in Oklahoma -

Oklahoma legislator proposes resolution to condemn Richard Dawkins

Oklahoma Legislature Investigates Richard Dawkins' Free Speech

Oklahoma House Passes Bill to Place the Ten Commandments on the Capital Front Lawn

School Girl in Oklahoma Town Refuses to Pray, Told By Teacher To Get Out of Country

It's all out war on Atheists in Oklahoma. I recognize that this is a shock to some of you who live in more liberal states but here it's in the news every day. Theses fundies are freaking nuts!

As far as 'generalizations' go....if the shoe fits... In Oklahoma, it does.

Here's something you don't often hear me say: I agree with Legion.

Here's something you don't often hear me say: I agree with Legion.

Sounds like I need to move to North Carolina :grin:

Guest Davka

I'm tellin' ya, there's a reason that word "North" in the the name of the state! They might have good BBQ, but they're too damned "diverse" for my taste.

Why, I hear tell some of them folks in "North" Carolina don't even own theirselves a pickemup truck, let alone a shotgun! And they drink lattes, too. With their pinkies sticking out.

I'm tellin' ya, there's a reason that word "North" in the the name of the state! They might have good BBQ, but they're too damned "diverse" for my taste.

Why, I hear tell some of them folks in "North" Carolina don't even own theirselves a pickemup truck, let alone a shotgun! And they drink lattes, too. With their pinkies sticking out.

Are their animals gay?

• Super Moderator

I do hear on occasion, regarding something intelligent, culturally hip, or progressive happening around the Tampa area, "Well, that's not REALLY the South."

The "South" exists as not so much a geographical location, but a mindset. Narrow, ignorant minds abound in Ohio as well, I can assure you. The Southerners running the space center down here are pretty damn smart.

I think it's not the southerners but the Canadians we really have to worry about. ;)

And they drink lattes, too. With their pinkies sticking out.

As Jed Clampett once said, "Maybe that's to hang their empties on."

Couple other great Jed quotes:

"If brains was lard, that boy wouldn't have enough to grease a skillet."

"That's the thing about salted down possum, it's just as good the second day."

Narrow, ignorant minds abound in Ohio as well, I can assure you. The Southerners running the space center down here are pretty damn smart.

And in Oregon, too. It's really kind of interesting in a scary sort of way, how compartmentalized Oregon can be with different pockets of redneck or hippie, educated or ignorant, conservative or liberal.

I think it's not the southerners but the Canadians we really have to worry about. ;)

Those goddam Canadians!

Those goddam Canadians!

Blame Canada!

I'm thankful I don't live in Britain any more. Children's exams get ever easier so that it's almost impossible to fail. The lowest fail grade 10 years ago will get you a pass now, and the questions get ever easier. Science question for an 11 year old: Would you use a telescope or microscope to look at the Moon. Kids are leaving school unable to write a letter to a prospective employer.

I'm thankful I don't live in Britain any more. Children's exams get ever easier so that it's almost impossible to fail. The lowest fail grade 10 years ago will get you a pass now, and the questions get ever easier. Science question for an 11 year old: Would you use a telescope or microscope to look at the Moon. Kids are leaving school unable to write a letter to a prospective employer.

Sounds familiar to this German over here.

As a sidenote, recently students all across Germany have been demonstrating for "money for education, not for bankers". They are so damn right...

Narrow, ignorant minds abound in Ohio as well, I can assure you. The Southerners running the space center down here are pretty damn smart.

And in Oregon, too. It's really kind of interesting in a scary sort of way, how compartmentalized Oregon can be with different pockets of redneck or hippie, educated or ignorant, conservative or liberal.

Those goddam Canadians!

That is one thing I noticed about Linn and Benton counties during the election. Heck, when I was down here last June to find an apartment, I found Obama signs allllll over Corvallis, whereas Linn County turned out just as red as Texas.

Guest Davka

Man, it sounds like a global epidemic! No wonder all the decent programmers are from India or Pakistan. We can't train them in the West any more.

My oldest daughter is going to college this Fall, with nearly a full ride scholarship. This from home schooling by her admittedly not-so-educated parents.

My middle daughter just took a provisional ACT test so she can take dual enrollment classes at the local community college this coming year. I was shocked to learn that the entrance requirement is a score of 19, out of a possible 36. 52%??? That's a frikkin F, people!

This is what happens when we let idiot educators start experimenting with social programs in the schools, instead of teaching the kids how to learn.

The West Coast and the Northeast are about the only two regions of the USA worth living in. And then there's Europe, where I'm typing this from, and where I may someday end up permanently. Sure, there's plenty of fine folks from the rest of the USA that I'd love to have as neighbors... as long as I don't have to move where they currently live! What can I say, being born and raised in L.A. spoiled me. Within the USA, if it's outside of L.A., and if it ain't San Francisco or New York, there's nowhere to go but down.

Granted, you have notable exceptions such as Austin, New Orleans, Chicago, Denver, and Athens (GA). Then again, I knew a girl from Athens, and she said "yeah, it's as cool as ya heard, but in the end, ya just can't escape the fact that it's in Georgia." Granted, the West Coast and NE also have their fair share of shitty parts. Ever been to Bakersfield? It's like someone took a slice of southwest Oklahoma and dumped it 150 miles north of L.A.

This is perhaps a better fit for "Fundies say the darndest things" or the "Dumb things your pastor said" thread elsewhere on this board, but an oft-heard proclamation in Southern church circles goes something like, "The atheists say the babble is stupid. Well, I am here to tell you that if the babble is stupid, I am glad to be stupid enough to believe what it says!" :Doh:

Last time I visited Tennessee, I drove by the Baptist church that my grandma goes to. I think their sign summed things up nicely. It read:

Philosophy- a method of being unhappy more intelligently

I've lived in the south all my life and there are many things i love and many things i hate. As a christian, i always thought it was the best place on earth. Ever since leaving the faith i have come to see its religious insanity, and i don't like it. Also as a christian i was conservative, now i see just how conservative the south truely is. However, i love the food here, the layed back mentality and hospitality. It's where i was born and raised, i honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else. You might could say the south is one of those places where you would have had to have been born there to truely appreciate it. Some things need to change, but all in all i love the place. Same goes for America. I love my country, just wish we would evolve with the rest of the civilized world.

Plus, them southern bells taste just as good as that southern cookin. :wicked:

I will say that the south has the friendliest people you would want to meet. I just got back from a car trip through North and South Carolina. Both times I had to ask directions in S. Carolina (bad directions and not a good enough map) and the people I asked, didn't hesitate to help me, were very friendly and gave me accurate directions.

I have lived in southern states and travelled through them a lot of years. There is a lot of beauty there too.

Guest Davka

I think that it is because I love so many things about the South and Southerners that this aspect of it drives me so crazy. I can't stand Chicago (flat, cold, windy) so the way people act there doesn't really bother me. If I lived in such a sucky place I'd be surly, too.

But the South has the potential to be an amazing place, if only people weren't so afraid of "sounding smart." Education is treated as if it is of the devil and will end up turning you into a gay atheist (well, the atheist part might be true). People are so friendly and helpful, it seems a shame they can't all be philosophers too.

There are a few notable Southern intellects, to be sure. Writers and playwrights galore. And I'm dogged if'n I kin figger out how they grewed to lernify all them big words without getting their noses rubbed in pig shit for bein smart.