Goodbye Jesus

Medical NOT Godly Miracles

Guest SerenityNow

Guest SerenityNow

I am totally and utterly amazed at how far medical technology has come. What is even more surpirsing is the fact that people give god the credit for healing instead of doctors. The Christian right accuses doctors of playing god with Stem Cell and with T. Schiavo, YET, will allow these "god wannabes" to do surgery, radiation treatment, prescribe medicine, physical therapy, etc., etc. etc.

In the past couple of days I've seen on on TV a little girl born without a face, a woman have a severe reaction to an anti-biotic to where ALL of her skin fell off, people with a horrible disease where there joints pop out all over the place, people with over growth disease and more. Where the fuck, is the miracle from god? All of the stories were enough to make me cry. Especially with children. This one child, age 5 had an arm the size and shape of an overweight adult. Can you imagine?

Anyway, the more I watch the more I get especially pissed with "miracles" like; God helped me stop smoking, I needed money and a check came in the mail, I was depressed now I'm happy, blah, blah, blah. Are they so clueless to the rest of the world that they really see those things as genuine miracles? Sure the heck seems like it.

I say medical miracles because without the people of the medical field, all of those cases could be worse. The little boy also had a growth on his side that they removed. The child with no face, the doctors are performing surgeries to help get her to be able to have normal facial functions. The woman who's skin fell off from a disease that has a mortality rate of 100 percent; COMPLETELY healed and has brand new skin, skin like that of a baby. The doctors covered her with silicone and other things that helped her grow the new skin. The Medical field, NOT some god in the sky is responsible for these wonderful things that are ONLY made possible, by man.

I know you all know this already, but I'm just totally blown away.

Yeah it totally pisses me off when someone is praising god for a speedy recovery or an operation gone right. What about the doctors, the nurses and all the personel who looked after him? Didn't they work hard to get him back on his feet? If god wants credit he'll have to work for it.

My cousin's young husband died of leukemia at the age of 27, if I remember correctly. That whole family is composed of devout Christians of the Charismatic, tongue-talkin', devil-rebukin' variety, and they prayed and prayed and prayed for his healing. Guess what? The doctors did everything they could, but my cousin's husband died. God didn't do SHIT for them - EVER. You would think that they could figure out that prayer doesn't work and perhaps there may not be a god, but NO, it was "god's time", "god's will". I rarely have contact with these relatives these days, but I know how religious they are and have been for many years. I love them dearly, but I can't believe that they believe that shit! :ugh:

I have Bipolar Disorder. I prayed several times to be healed of whatever was wrong with me back in my fundie days, though I didn't know until early 1998 that Bipolar Disorder was the problem. I was Slain in the Spook and prayed over several times over the years. I had some very emotional experiences and was told that god was doing "spiritual surgery" on me when I was on the floor slain the Spook, but I never was "healed". Once the emotional high wore off, I was the same as before. Strangely enough, god never gave any of the pastors or visiting evangelists who prayed over me a "word of knowledge" revealing that I had Bipolar Disorder. The doctors had to figure that one out with no help from god.

Back in 1998, when I was very ill and very depressed, I tried to commit suicide by overdosing on my Depakote, which is extremely toxic to the liver. I was damned near successful. I just barely pulled through, but my liver is fine. It also survived years of heavy drinking while I was self-medicating before I was diagnosed. A miracle, or just good doctors, luck, good genetics (aside for the bipolar genes), and a strong body? A medical miracle and luck along with the fact that I got help fast enough, I think. My stomach is still pissed off about all the booze over the years. God hasn't healed it either. I'm not honestly real comfortable with posting past struggles that took place in times that I would rather forget about now that I am properly diagnosed and MUCH healthier, but I do it to make a point. WHERE WAS GAWD??? No miracles, just luck and good timing and knowledgeable doctors who pulled me through.

It's easier to believe in miracles than it is to think clearly and look at real causes for events.

Guest JP1283

I hear you, brother.

I once went to seek help from a Christian pastor about the strange voice in my head that "said bad things." The pastor, who God "showed things to about me," simply prayed for the voice to go away blah blah blah. Turned out my "voice" was Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. God didn't "show" him that...had to figure it out all on my own.