Goodbye Jesus

Selling Out

Guest Davka

Guest Davka

OK, some of you may find this amusing. Others may be appalled. I find it - lucrative.

Back when I was a Good ChristianTM , I used to work as a stringer (freelance writer) for a number of Christian publications and news organizations. My wife, who works as a proof editor, still does work for some of these groups. And they occasionally contact me as well, even though I haven't been writing professionally for at least 10 years.

Right now I'm writing a Bible Study series based on the sacrifices in the first 5 chapters of Leviticus. 5 sacrifice types, one per chapter - thus, a 5-part series. I get $250 for each part, which works out to around $50 an hour. Not bad for freelance work.

What's really odd is that I try very hard to find useful, universal truths in these studies, and to express them in Christianese. Some might think that I'm deliberately undermining the faith of those who follow the study material. Others might think that I'm prostituting myself for a quick buck. I prefer to believe that I'm making everybody happy and getting paid to do it.

The publisher really likes my work so far. She finds my perspective unique and refreshing. I'm flattered and amused at the same time. Maybe I should write a book.

I often mused that I should become a really bad preacher, and attempt to drive people to atheism.

That's hilarious. Just keep reminding yourself that "it's all about Jesus" and the bullshit should flow freely.

You could have some fun pointing out how in Leviticus 4 the sin offering of the "common man" was the lamb (cheapest) and Jesus is portrayed as a lamb; therefore Jesus is the sin offering for the common man.

It's easy to make connections when you have preconceived notions that Jesus is in everything! :grin:

• Super Moderator

Take the money without guilt.

The more people get into Bible study, the more eventually leave the faith. I encourage Bible study, as that was my catalyst to freedom.

LOL I don't blame you! I've considered becoming a Christian book author myself since I speak fluent Christianese and Christians are easily impressed.

I couldn't do it, but that's because I would suck at it! Take the money and run :D

Nice..........wow.

Hey, whatever works.

Still one of the first things to pop into my head was with regards to fools, money and the parting of ways. Cool that it parts into your wallet.

:lmao: Classic.

I have to wonder how many other professional Christian writers/hucksters/preachers are double agents.

Sounds like a good gig to me. The publisher obviously has final say on whether your work meets their requirements, so go for it.