Goodbye Jesus

The Urban Legend Of Cassie Bernall

SilentLoner

Sorry for the random rant, but this has been on my nerves for a few days now.

I'm sure most people here have encountered the story of Cassie Bernall, one of the vicitms of the Columbine school shooting, who supposedly "said yes" when one of the shooters asked if she believed in god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_Bernall

Almost right away it was clear it did not take place. Witnesses in the library at Columbine and the official FBI investigation have proven it did not. An eyewitness who was hiding with Bernall under a table has stated the conversation did not occur. The conversation in fact took place with surviving victim Valerie Schurr, who when asked first said no, then yes, trying to get the answer right.

Bernall and Schurr had similar appearances and voices, and when asked where they heard the conversation coming from, witnesses who had been in the library at the time led investigators to where Schurr had been, not Bernall.

Even with this simple fact its persisted in songs ( Michael W. Smith's, "This Is Your Time" - I actually heard that one halfway through and really liked the song, only to find out what it was about - and Flyleaf's, "Cassie), books (written by Cassie's own mother despite the fact that Valerie Schurr told them the truth after they asked her) and general xtian martyr myths.

Whta got to me recently was I was in line at the supermarker and I hear the people in front of me animatedly discussing it. I don't say anyhting since they're not talking to me and try to ignore it, then I hear:

"You know some people don't believe it happened."

"Yeah, even the FBI and so called investigators"

"That doesn't mean anything. Eyewitnesses are better than the FBI."

It took all I had not to do one of those condescending snorts out loud. Hell, I probably should have.

Maybe it hits a personal chord with me since I'm studying criminology and anyone with a basic knowledge of the subject knows eyewitness testimony is the least relibale of all evidence.

Are xtians so desperate for martyrs they make them up? Wait, dumb question.

Ten years and this still won't die.

If anyone deserved a song witten about them it was Larry Hooper (the atheist who was killed for not believing in god) by his eagle scout roomate.

I'm gonna go vent some more. Later.

...books (written by Cassie's own mother despite the fact that Valerie Schurr told them the truth after they asked her)

Are you saying that Cassie's mother knew it wasn't true before she wrote the book? If so, then that sheds a whole new light on the subject.

Whta got to me recently was I was in line at the supermarker and I hear the people in front of me animatedly discussing it. I don't say anyhting since they're not talking to me and try to ignore it, then I hear:

"You know some people don't believe it happened."

"Yeah, even the FBI and so called investigators"

"That doesn't mean anything. Eyewitnesses are better than the FBI."

Unfortunately, some people will simply believe what they choose to believe, and no amount of evidence will change their minds.

Xians are simply "dying" to believe that the rest of the world hates their guts because of their precious Jesus...

It's interesting how the parents of the two religious victims (Cassie and Rachel) were the ones who whored off the deaths of their poor kids the most. Rachel's parents even sold a bunch of necklaces based off some doodle (of an eye crying with a flower and a bee) she did and claimed that it was a prediction of her own death.

I've unluckily had a Rachel's Challenge happen at my school, but it felt so wrong because before they came, the truth was out on the internet about most of Columbine being a lie, especially with Klebold and Harris. I understood the purpose of the Challenge, but knowing that these two idiot teens that went on a killing rampage weren't some loners and being bullied on, I really wanted to stand up and tell the speaker that, and she was a personal friend of Rachel.

I've always hated hearing that stupid "Do you believe in god?" line because it always sounded so iffy. I'm not surprised it was someone else who was asked that, and the girl was different in response.

If I want to get into this criminal forensics, I better be able to deal with idiotic people who think their eyes are better than people who actually study criminology and the such. If I was there, I would have swatted those two. lol

I have the feeling that if Cassie said no, they would've went, "Too bad" and shot her anyway. If it was true, ther were probably saying it to be witty.

A most informative thread. Thanks!

Guest ephymeris

I've often thought it's very arrogant for these christians to usurp the "do you believe in god?" question as their own. Which god? If I say yes, and I mean Loki or Athena, does that mean I'm a kickass martyr for Loki or Athena? Do I get a special heaven too?? Of course, I know the christian answers to my question and why they think "do you believe in god?" only pertains to them but it still chaps my ass. All these other religions and they think they have the corner market on "god."