Goodbye Jesus

Why the quickie missionary trips?

Bongo

Haven't read the India interview...

but it makes me remember that I never could figure out why churches send teenagers on missionary trips.

Let's go to Moldavia for three weeks!

Let's go to Mexico for three weeks!

Let's go to a neighboring metropolis for a week!

WHHHHHHYYYY?????

Let's go to Ocean City Maryland! (Ok, I can figure that one out..)

My church sent a favorite son to the Phillipines for three weeks recently. WTF?? I was "praying" he'd come back in one piece. No way I'd let my son go there! He even stayed with a muslim family. I imagined the house surrounded by a gang demanding him being sent out. Not my son, no way he's going on a trip like that. Besides, what on earth can be accomplished in that time?

Really my question is what can be accomplished in three weeks when you dont' even know the language. It's just a boondoggle, admit it. Especially, the Phillipines was a stupid idea--setting your son up for a bloody end. (he came back safe and sound.)

And look, I'm not going to take advice from any happy gang of clean-faced teenagers about my life.

--Hoping somebody from my church recognizes those trips and now knows there's another kindred rebel spirit afoot.

EDIT: I'm sorry, perhaps this should be moved to Rants.

Haven't read the India interview...

EDIT: I'm sorry, perhaps this should be moved to Rants.

Bongo, if you glanced at the first page of the thread, you'd be better informed about this particular trip. ;)

Not all trips are a waste. I have known medical doctors and surgeons to volunteer their services.

You're right. This belongs in Rants and so I'm pleased to move it there. :)

Not all trips are a waste. I have known medical doctors and surgeons to volunteer their services.

Yes, I think short trips which have a practical purpose are different from the short "missionary" forays.

Secular organisations and charities also take young people on short trips where they can experience another culture and usually do some practical project. I think the main benefit is seen as being for the young people themselves.

Some Christian organisations also do this and obviously part of the benefit they see is "strengthening the faith" of said young people. If it also widens their horizons and does some practical good then I think probably, on balance, it is an okay thing.

Assuming that they don't seriously risk the safety of the youngsters! Bongo, it sounds as if that is your main concern about this particular trip! As a parent myself (mine are grown up now) I can relate to that!

But some solely "missionary" trips I've heard of don't foster understanding, only self-righteousness and preaching at people. There is no real interaction with local people and no practical project. As far as I can see their main purpose is emotional and psychological manipulation of the young volunteers. They are about training up tomorrow's "front-line troops!"

There are some particular organisations which organise such trips and I have always found them utterly repugnant!

The problem comes I suppose with the borderline cases. Does one let one's kids go because all their mates are and it's a big "adventure," or does one come the heavy handed parent? Sigh! I'm quite relieved that I don't have those dilemmas anymore!

Yes, I was mainly concerned about the Phillipines trip safety-wise.

Also ranting against the youth group trips to the heathens in Philly or a resort location. It serves to train them up to be the annoying evangelists of tomorrow, and adds to the brainwashing. Somehow, it's all trite.