Goodbye Jesus

A Formed Semi-Christian.

Guest VigCS

Guest VigCS

Hello everybody. I should first disclaim that this probably won't be the most entertaining story on here, but I really would like to write about it.

Anyway, I was baptised a Methodist at a very young age and grew up as somewhat of a fair-weather christian. I usually went to sunday school every weekend at the local Methodist church and didn't really mind it, but that was mainly becuase they'd give us candy for memorizing bible passages. Throughout this time I didn't really mind it at all, my family was/is christian but they'd let me think for my own (which I'm very lucky for).

However, when I was in 8th grade, probably 9-10 years ago, I went to this christian camp in Pennsylvania with a friend who has very fundy parents and it really put a bad taste in my mouth. Every day after lunch and dinner we'd have to sing about an hour of praise songs, which I absolutely hated. They made us relate every activity we did to Jesus' life and how he 'saved' us. Another major contributing factor was my parent's divorce, which was a particularly nasty one. I wondered how 'god' would let this pain come to families if he/she/it is the ultimate savior. So after my parent's divorce I never really thought about religion at all until I started college where I became a fairly active atheist.

A few experiences recently helped cement my atheism. Earlier in the year I went to an Easter Sunday sermon with my Dad and Grandparents. My [gay] atheist brother and I were reading the bible to keep ourselves entertained and I heard my grandmother lean to my dad, point to us reading, and say "maybe there's still hope!". My dad just smiled and probably thought "yeah right" in the back of his mind. In reality we were reading leviticus and talking to each about how, pardon the french, fucked up the bible is. My brother also said outloud in front of a group of old church-goers before we walked in, "I hope I don't burst into flames when I walk through that door."

Another experience was a Catholic wedding that I recently attended. I almost felt dirty when I was inside that church. It was creepy how everybody is brainwashed by this crap based in nothing but heresay. The talking in unison after the priest said something was creepy too.

Now I'm a super senior at the University of Maryland majoring in Civil Engineering. I was truly lucky that my parents accept me for who I am and let me do what I want. I'd say my father is fairly atheistic now, and my mom is really indifferent. I truly do believe that religion is a bane on society and the progress of the human race.

I know this wasn't the most dramatic story, but thanks for reading. I just wanted to get it out there.

Guest VigCS

I'm searching up and down for an edit button but I can't find one..."Formed" in the title is supposed to be "Former." :)

Hello and welcome. I'm quite new myself, but it's a friendly bunch around here.

I loved your Easter story: your poor, uselessly hopeful grandmother and your hilarious brother. I should make a comment like that the next time I walk into church - or at least when I have to take communion. Being in the choir, it's hard to avoid.

As for the edit button, I've read that it doesn't appear until after 25 posts to help control the troll population.

Relatively new myself as well, but welcome anyways! I wish my parents were as open minded - thankfully my siblings are, so I don't have to "live a lie" to my entire family (also live far enough away it's not a major issue). Good luck with school - sounds like CE should keep you busy - what particular area do you hope to go into?

Guest VigCS

HRD - I'm trying to get into the project management side of everything. I work for the Army Corps of Engineers doing that kind of stuff, but my specialty is Evironmental and Water Resources.

And thank you guys for the welcomes. :)

• Super Moderator

Welcome, VigCS!

Thanks for telling your story. I thought it was pretty funny about bursting into flames. Nice thought, but I'm pretty sure it never really happens, as I've been inside a couple of churches myself lately.

You guys keep studying Leviticus - lots of comedy material in there.

Enjoy yourself here.

my family was/is christian but they'd let me think for my own (which I'm very lucky for).

Lucky indeed. I was one of the unlucky one who was thoroughly indoctrinated. I was so brainwashed (pretty much from the cradle on) that it took me until I was 29 to start seeing through the bullshit.

Earlier in the year I went to an Easter Sunday sermon with my Dad and Grandparents. My [gay] atheist brother and I were reading the bible to keep ourselves entertained and I heard my grandmother lean to my dad, point to us reading, and say "maybe there's still hope!". My dad just smiled and probably thought "yeah right" in the back of his mind. In reality we were reading leviticus and talking to each about how, pardon the french, fucked up the bible is.

After I became an agnostic and anti-religionist, I still continued going to church with my wife and daughters for a while, later missing a few weeks here and there, until I eventually pretty much stopped going (except for when visiting with extended family).

Anyway, similarly, quite a few times when I was in church as an Ex-Christian, I would read through parts of the Bible and laugh to myself about how ridiculous it is, yet feel for the others being brainwashed because I know how "real" Christianity can seem to the thoroughly indoctrinated.

My brother also said outloud in front of a group of old church-goers before we walked in, "I hope I don't burst into flames when I walk through that door."

Nice.

Another experience was a Catholic wedding that I recently attended. I almost felt dirty when I was inside that church. It was creepy how everybody is brainwashed by this crap based in nothing but heresay. The talking in unison after the priest said something was creepy too.

This makes me think of the "responsive readings" that some of the churches I was involved in would do. One church did it pretty much every week, and even when I was a "true Christian" I thought the responsive readings were a bit too mechanical and silly. I guess "creepy" might be a good description as well.

I truly do believe that religion is a bane on society and the progress of the human race.

I largely agree, although I wouldn't paint with too broad of a brush, since there are always exceptions. There have been some really good things done through religion, but of course there have been really bad things done too, and the vast majority of it is a hindrance to logic and reasoning.

Hopefully one day society will be free of the shackles of religion and just get along with each other out of mutual respect. Unfortunately, I don't expect that to happen for quite a long time....