Goodbye Jesus

My dad's pissing me off ove this religous bullshit

bluewizard

I was listening to Danzig on Sirius Hard Attack and the song was call upon the dark and my religious dad said you shouldnt be listening to that for a person who needs to go to the front of the church and get saved, I wanna kill him, I'm an atheist but I can't tell him I am and this religious stuff is killing me, I can feel my blood boiling over this, I just wanna tell him I dont believe but he wont shut the fuck up. He said oh, call upon Satan, thats good. I wanna tell him but i may get in trouble, Im gonna be 17 in 11 days, he should have more tolerance and respect for me. I wanna kill him i'm so pissed right now. :vent:

I was listening to Danzig on Sirius Hard Attack and the song was call upon the dark and my religious dad said you shouldnt be listening to that for a person who needs to go to the front of the church and get saved, I wanna kill him, I'm an atheist but I can't tell him I am and this religious stuff is killing me, I can feel my blood boiling over this, I just wanna tell him I dont believe but he wont shut the fuck up. He said oh, call upon Satan, thats good. I wanna tell him but i may get in trouble, Im gonna be 17 in 11 days, he should have more tolerance and respect for me. I wanna kill him i'm so pissed right now. :vent:

Well, tell him that listening to this is an expression of your love of God that he would provide you with music that you enjoy, rather than force you to listen to music that you don't enjoy.

If he claims that Satan can use music to subvert his followers, tell him that you feel the power of God coursing through you when you listen to it.

BW, how about you call him that you just want to "know the enemy"? :lmao:

Blue,

I am concerned that you said that you want to kill your father - and you said it twice. I most certainly hope that you are merely using that as an expression. You should calmly respond to him, tell him you will use headphones if that would help. Make sure that if there is any confrontation between the two of you that it is started by HIM, not you. It sounds like you guys need a good heart-to-heart chat, to clear the air. You are much too young to be experiencing such a level of stress.

I agree with Trashy on this.

I know you and your dad disagree on religion.  But he is worried about you.  His comments come from a place of fear, not hatred.  As a parent and a former fundy, I can tell you that the fear of my children potentially going to hell, weighed heavily on me and was a very traumatic thought.

Madame,

Perhaps you can help further. Is there anything you can suggest to bluewizard that may help him communicate with his father, yet still stand firm with his own convictions?

How would you have reacted if your 17 year old child told you politely but firmly that they understood your fear, but they did not believe they way you did? How would you have reacted if this child told you that they wanted as much respect and tolerance towards their beliefs as you expected from them?

Is it even possible for a fundy parent to even contemplate such a thing? If not, the only recourse seems to have bluewizard remain in a semi-comfortable lie until he is out on his own.

And Trashy, great comment and post. I agree with you.

I really regret commenting on this thread, but I will finish out my thoughts.  I

I’m sorry Madame if I put you in an awkward position. It just seemed to me that bluewizard’s issues with his parents went far beyond what music he was listening to. I thought perhaps you experience as both a Christian and a parent would be helpful. It appears that many parents (not just fundys) expect their children to be carbon-copies of themselves and become upset at the most minor of differences because those differences may represent a rejection of their belief structure.

One the statements I hear many parents make to their kids starts with, “We believe blah blah blah….” How presumptuous! By making such a statement a parent is telling their child that there is no other option but to accept what they believe. It creates barriers to any further productive communication.

BTW, I think you did a great job of answering the question.

IBF

I agree with Trashy on this.

I know you and your dad disagree on religion.  But he is worried about you.  His comments come from a place of fear, not hatred.  As a parent and a former fundy, I can tell you that the fear of my children potentially going to hell, weighed heavily on me and was a very traumatic thought.

Madame....fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Blue,

I am concerned that you said that you want to kill your father - and you said it twice.  I most certainly hope that you are merely using that as an expression.  You should calmly respond to him, tell him you will use headphones if that would help.  Make sure that if there is any confrontation between the two of you that it is started by HIM, not you.  It sounds like you guys need a good heart-to-heart chat, to clear the air.  You are much too young to be experiencing such a level of stress.

I blow up for a short period of time when I get mad, I was furious when I typed that, it's just something that happens when I get mad, I want to hurt people. I'm ok after 30 minutes or an hour after I get mad.

Madame....fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

True wisdom if ever I read any.

I have to agree with Trashy on this one. And you should get a journal either online or offline, if you haven't already. At least, have some place you can rant without fear of your father judging you. It really does help to have a safe place to rant in.

Blue....... I had rules growing up with a Christian but non-practicing mother and my atheist stepfather.  Curfew 9pm weekdays unless there was a game, 10pm when there was a game and 12 midnight on FRI and SAT night.  No rated "R" movies and was always the neglected and ridiculed sheep of 5 kids.  On my 18th birthday, my stepfather told me that I had to now pay rent AND still had to obey curfew or I could move out.  I moved out.

My point is that christian parents aren't the only ones with rules, well okay ANAL rules.  I was angry a lot from age 5-18.  However, what concerned me about you was using the word kill.  Please if you ever feel like you'd literally want to do that, please seek help and if you can't find any.....come here, we're waiting with open arms.

Ok, well, I'll be 17 when i move out to go to college, I don't think I wanna go home on the weekends though. I wanna stay there at the college, maybe go to some parties. :lmao:

You can just quote George W. Bush.

When I was young and irresponsible, I was young, and irresponsible.

Your going to make mistakes, get into trouble, it's part of growing up! I just hope that you learn from your mistakes when you become an adult and join society.

I love listening to all kinds of music, I'm an atheist, but as a father I too would be concerned with what my child is listening too. I'd rather my child was filling their brain with something beneficial and not "rage" related, as most metal tends to be.

I'd have to ask my child, why do you like this music, is it merely because your friends listen to it. or does the song directly relate to something your feeling, are the words, relative to your views, and debate further.

Maybe I've just become an old prude at 29! Who knows.