Goodbye Jesus

The Love Of Christ

Deva

I just did a little stroll down memory lane by reading the newsletter for the Episcopal Church I attended 10 years ago. It was quite nauseating, pictures of people in robes with stoles and different designs on them that look like cut out felt figures - basically looking like clowns.

The newsletter was full of Love of Christ this, love of Christ that, the deacon signing his piece with "Christ loves you and I do too", blah, blah, blah. How I stayed there for 5 years completely escapes me.

I say there is NO SUCH THING as the love of Christ.

From the newsletter:

I began to realize that even though I wasn’t doing overtly Christian things on vacation, I was still spreading God’s love through a simple smile, a kind word, or a generous act. Those things all plant seeds that the Lord can use to touch the hearts of those around us.

If you do something good for me, or are kind to me, please don't do it to "demonstrate God's love". Just don't do it. Only do it because YOU WANT TO. The motive is SCREWY. Then there is the following ditty:

"Faith is the ability not to panic

If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry

As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home everyday."

NO. Plenty of people who have faith still panic.

Plenty of people who pray still worry.

Prayer is not like calling home. If I call home, someone will call me back and actually speak to me.

Thanks, I already feel better.

• Super Moderator

Excellent observations!

I kind of wish I still had some of my old church publications.

Nah.

Thanks Florduh, I don't recommend looking at these types of publications. I don't know why the heck I read the thing. It was a part of my life, I suppose.

By the way, the part I put in the quote box was written by the deacon. He was a creepy guy who mistreated his wife in public.

The local CoC used to regularly sent out newsletters (I haven't seen much of them lately), but even when I was a believer, I saw the vitriol that they spew out (and this is sent out to all people whether or not you are CoC).

I had a Christian tell me the other day that "Jesus loves you".

I replied, "No, he doesn't. He has plans to incarcerate me in a torture chamber, complete with horrors beyond belief, and torment me endlessly with no chance of parole."

"But he's offered you a way out of that....if you would just read the ....."

"STFU" I replied.

I actually used to respect this kind of conversation, and would indulge these people and their tripped-out fantasies. Now I find that I dismiss them more and more like a panhandler in the mall parking lot hitting me up for crack money.

I'm either getting old and cynical, or perhaps starting a trend that's long overdue.

i grew up southern baptist so the newsletter included a free newspaper call the messenger. it was rather disgusting really. stupid religious groups trying to be politicians.

I had a Christian tell me the other day that "Jesus loves you".

I replied, "No, he doesn't. He has plans to incarcerate me in a torture chamber, complete with horrors beyond belief, and torment me endlessly with no chance of parole."

"But he's offered you a way out of that....if you would just read the ....."

"STFU" I replied.

That was an appropriate response, Frank. The person should have stopped after your initial reply and let it go. But NOoooo, they must persist in their delusion and expect us nonbelievers to just stand by and take it.

I was brainwashed from age 3 through my whole childhood with "Jesus loves the little children" that's why it took me until age 40 to see it was all nonsense. No adult believes this unless they are mentally deficient or brainwashed from childhood.

I actually used to respect this kind of conversation, and would indulge these people and their tripped-out fantasies. Now I find that I dismiss them more and more like a panhandler in the mall parking lot hitting me up for crack money.

I'm either getting old and cynical, or perhaps starting a trend that's long overdue.

No Frank, you're just getting fed up like a normal person should be. I don't see anything to be respectful about in what he/she said. :twitch:

The older I get, the more I run out of patience with bible thumpers. So, maybe "getting old" has something to do with it!!!

If you do something good for me, or are kind to me, please don't do it to "demonstrate God's love". Just don't do it. Only do it because YOU WANT TO. The motive is SCREWY. Then there is the following ditty:

You are so on target here, DevaLight!

It is dehumanizing to find out that certain people don't perform acts of kindness, generosity or mercy out of a sense of humanity, empathy or compassion. But, instead, it is part of some marketing campaign for Jesus.

They might as well say, "I'll be nice to you now, so that hopefully you'll buy a car from my dealership later! Big fat commission! Hoo-Yah!"

It really amounts to just about the same thing.

NO. Plenty of people who have faith still panic.

Plenty of people who pray still worry.

Prayer is not like calling home. If I call home, someone will call me back and actually speak to me.

Panic is sometimes due to chemical imbalances, isn't it? Why make a character issues out of anxiety? "You're worrying? You must have chosen NOT to pray! Shame on you! It's your fault, then."

Never mind the fact that the million and half things I prayed for never came to pass. <insert standard christian spin on unanswered prayer>

I think if more worriers tried a small dose of pharmacology and some talk therapy, they would make light years more progress combating anxiety than they ever would with prayer.

I'll admit to looking at old JW books on the watchtower cd-rom or looking at their website on occasion and thinking "how did I swallow this?!"

However I don't think it's a bad thing to look at your church's publishcations once in a while to remind yourself why you don't want to go back.

The day after Vincent e-mailed me and said he didn't want a thing to do with me, I had to walk to the post office despite my ever depressing mood. A mentally challenged lady came out of the Catholic church across from the post office, and she fixed her eyes on me and shouted "JESUS LOVES YOU LADY! HE WILL GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT!" so loud I jumped and said "Oh shit!" to myself. She didn't understand why I jumped, but it didn't stop her from doing it again and to other people around her.

With people like this lady I don't say a thing, but when it comes to Christians at school I'm a complete wuss and just smile and take their shit as I don't want to cause a ruckus.

If there really is an Invisible Man living in the sky who loves us, He's sure not doing much to show it, IMHO.

I was flipping channels on the TV earlier today and decided to check out one of the religious channels just for laughs. Who should be preaching on TBN but Mylon LeFevre? I LOVED his music when I was a young fundie fanatic! It had to be JESUS who caused me to tune in! Glory!

Um... no. I listened for a few minutes and some of what he said still grabbed my heart to some degree. But those feelings are just from memories of a time long ago now, and I know why I no longer believe that shit.

I actually did a Christian newsletter back in my fanatic fundie days. I would pass it out at church and invite friends to contribute to it. It lasted all of a few issues. LOL! But it was fun, and I'm sure the Lard knew that I meant to honor Him with it. Glory!

I think most Christians are afraid to approach me about Geezus because of my usual sullen appearance. I probably appear to be sinister to them.

i grew up southern baptist so the newsletter included a free newspaper call the messenger. it was rather disgusting really. stupid religious groups trying to be politicians.

I get the Baptist Press' newsletter (run by the national SBC) to my email inbox everyday. I enjoy a moment where, drinking my coffee and checking up on my correspondence, I can find out how my gay-loving, secular-driven, abortion-craving compatriots are slowly degrading American society. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Along with a little thrill of accomplishment ;)

The day after Vincent e-mailed me and said he didn't want a thing to do with me, I had to walk to the post office despite my ever depressing mood. A mentally challenged lady came out of the Catholic church across from the post office, and she fixed her eyes on me and shouted "JESUS LOVES YOU LADY! HE WILL GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT!" so loud I jumped and said "Oh shit!" to myself. She didn't understand why I jumped, but it didn't stop her from doing it again and to other people around her.

With people like this lady I don't say a thing, but when it comes to Christians at school I'm a complete wuss and just smile and take their shit as I don't want to cause a ruckus.

Did Jesus provide you with a bag of shit since that is what you secretly said? :lmao:

I am just sick and tired of people writing this drivel about Jesus loves you as if that will solve all the problems in life.

Using it as a motive to do things nice for me? No thanks to that.

Did Jesus provide you with a bag of shit since that is what you secretly said? :lmao:

:lmao: Actually it was because the mentally challenged lady screeched it so fucking loud and was running towards me in the thrift store parking lot between the post office and Catholic church that she frightened me out of my wits. I guess she was never taught not to run up to strangers and shout stuff as the lady that was with her scolded her for doing it despite her shouting to everyone else "JESUS LOVES YOU ALL!!!!!!" while being scolded.

My grandmother would say that Jesus would have put it into her innocent mentally challenged mind to send me the message that he loves me. :rolleyes:

Yeah, if Jesus loves me so much, why won't he get a place I have applied to call me for an interview? I need a freekin' job.

Guest Davka

Yeah, if Jesus loves me so much, why won't he get a place I have applied to call me for an interview? I need a freekin' job.

Because you're an evil atheist. Repent and give your heart to Jeeeeeezusss! And possibly your kidney as well.

(ever wonder what god does with all those internal organs?)

Uh, reminds me of listening to my mother - anything that happens must be because "god's trying to tell her something" or "he must have a plan." I can't even respond to that anymore - I just keep silent and change the subject. I doubt I could stand to read the drivel of the people I grew up with in the churches I went to.

And I agree - be nice because you're a nice person, not cause you feel obligated to by some mysterious non-existant being.

I can just hear some Roman Catholic Priest singing with the little kids "Jesus loves the little children" as he mentally picks out his prey..

Ugh. Will religion ever end?

LOL

Sounds like the priest was admitting to something.