Goodbye Jesus

You Need The Bible To Govern-

OK, so today during a break at work I was playing a board game called “Bailout!”, which is a mockery of the current financial crisis packaged to be kinda like monopoly. A co-worker’s friend developed it and is trying to find a company to pick it up. Just like monopoly, there are cards you have to read and then follow if you land on a certain square, and some of the cards have quotes from founding fathers on them. Most quotes are along the lines of fiscal responsibility.

However, one card quoted George Washington as saying (and I’m paraphrasing) “A country can not be governed properly without religion and the bible”.

Now, it just seems odd that the man who wrote article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli (The U.S. Is not in any way founded upon the xtian religion) would then do an about face and say you can’t govern without the damned thing.

Anyone here know if this quote is true or not? The guy that brought it in is a xtian that has mentioned several times how jesus got him sober, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the friend that developed this game is just another lying fundy. If I could find out for sure, I would inform him that that particular quote is a lie, I just didn’t want to say anything until I was reasonably sure.

Guest Davka

I've seen that quote a lot of places, but I've never had anyone tell me where, exactly, Washington supposedly said this. Google doesn't seem to give any hard proof that the quote is actually from Washington.

I do know that he said the following:

"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."

"There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness." [George Washington, address to Congress, 8 January, 1790]

"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause." [George Washington, letter to Sir Edward Newenham, June 22, 1792]

"...the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction." [George Washington, 1789, responding to clergy complaints that the Constitution lacked mention of Jesus Christ, from The Godless Constitution: The Case Against Religious Correctness, Isacc Kramnick and R. Laurence Moore W.W. Norton and Company 101-102]

"...I beg you be persuaded that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution." [George Washington, to United Baptists Churches of Virginia, May, 1789 from The Washington papers edited by Saul Padover]

It's hard to believe he would have said the "bible and god" quote as well as all of these which can be proven. I suspect it's a pseudo-quote which has been repeated so often that it has become "true."

"A country can not be governed properly without religion and the bible," sounds a little anachronistic for Washington.

The quote is a bogus hoax. i get e-mail all the time with some kind of bullshit quotes that were never said by the person attributed.