Goodbye Jesus

Most Popular Christian Figure?

Guest S.gal83

Guest S.gal83

Who do you think is the most popular figure in the protestant christian world?

In the catholic world, I will think the pope is such a figure.

However, in the protestant world, who do you think is the most popular christian?

By most popular, I mean, when you mention his or her name, almost everyone knows about him/her.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Billy Graham. Joyce Meyer. Benny Hinn. In Australia it would be Darlene Zchech, and the Hillsongs team.

Which ever televangelist has the most money.

Billy Graham probably fits that criteria the most.

I would add Dobson.

Philip Yancey should be on the list. And Tommy Tenney.

And um, Bono LOL!

Oscar Wilde. (He did after all, write De Profoundis)

Saint Sebastian.

Saint Francis of Asissi.

Pope John Paul II.

Obama. :)

Bono (of course- did anybody notice his name is Latin for "free" or "good" e.g "summa bonum")

For Protestants...

Of all time? Paul.

Living? It varies by sect.

Most xians respect the (wo)man in the mirror above all others but attribute it to "jesus" or "god" (faux humility score big points with the man upstairs...meaning their own minds of course ;) ).

mwc

For Protestants...

Of all time? Paul.

Ugh. Even when I was a Christian I couldn't stand Paul: arrogant, forever laying guilt trips on his followers ("Oh, I see. So this is how you act after all I've done for you."), and the author of so much of what makes the NT as unbearable as the old.

Madonna-cross.jpg

Ugh. Even when I was a Christian I couldn't stand Paul: arrogant, forever laying guilt trips on his followers ("Oh, I see. So this is how you act after all I've done for you."), and the author of so much of what makes the NT as unbearable as the old.

I couldn't stand Paul either but that apparently didn't stop me from putting the teachings of Paul on some sort of pedestal. But it wasn't Paul but "jesus" speaking through Paul so that made it better somehow. The gospels were important since they had the actual words and deeds of "jesus" but the letters of Paul were more important since they had the updates for us gentiles. If you could magically put Paul and Jesus side by side today Protestants would kick old "jesus" to the curb.

mwc

I couldn't stand Paul either but that apparently didn't stop me from putting the teachings of Paul on some sort of pedestal. But it wasn't Paul but "jesus" speaking through Paul so that made it better somehow. The gospels were important since they had the actual words and deeds of "jesus" but the letters of Paul were more important since they had the updates for us gentiles. If you could magically put Paul and Jesus side by side today Protestants would kick old "jesus" to the curb.

mwc

Isn't that the truth! By the way, I was going to say Paul. You stealer of glory you... :D

Guest S.gal83

mwc

Isn't that the truth! By the way, I was going to say Paul. You stealer of glory you... :D

Actually, I mean the most popular christian figure still living.

mwc

Actually, I mean the most popular christian figure still living.

I must say that I'm out of the loop on that unless the most popular Christian figure is the one that is the least popular amongst the Christians!

Billy Graham, except he's not really a "true Christian" lol.

When this guy dies and my family start mentioning the fact, I am planning to say something like "Yes, it's brilliant news. (lol). The best news I've heard this year!"...