Goodbye Jesus

Marketing Church

mako

Recently, in the local newspaper, I came across an article on the marketing of churches. It seems that many churches are now hiring pastors with a degree in marketing, tapping membership for marketing expertise, or hiring outside resources to help with the church’s marketing strategy. This brings a couple of thoughts to mind, the first is that the dwindling “faithful” seems to have impacted the amount of money coming into the churches to such an extent that now they have to market their religion and their church in hopes of attracting new “faithful” from among the unwashed heathen masses. The second thought is, since the churches are now treating their religion as a marketable product (similar to Tide or Ford), should they be required to meet all the requirements that “true” products must meet? If Tide claims that their soap whitens and freshens laundry better than Cheer, they have to prove it or (1) face lawsuits from Cheer (2) face legal action from the government. If Ford or Colgate makes claims for their products, such as 32 MPG for the Explorer or extra white teeth with Colgate’s Whitening Gel, they must show proof of this upon demand or face action from the government and consumer advocacy groups. Should the churches that use marketing strategy have to meet these rigid requirements? Must they have to prove that their God is the true God or that Jesus is truly the Christ, that there is a heaven and a hell? What is your take on this? :blink:

Goodbye Jesus

Is that why we see commercials on TV now? I think I've seen many Mormon's commercials.

I wonder if we'll start seeing mergers and acquisitions. The Baptists buying out all the Pentecostal churches in a town, etc.

Or merging, combining and selling off some real estate.

Maybe that's why Bingo night isn't just one night a week anymore.

Is that why we see commercials on TV now?  I think I've seen many Mormon's commercials. 

I wonder if we'll start seeing mergers and acquisitions.  The Baptists buying out all the Pentecostal churches in a town, etc.

Or merging, combining and selling off some real estate.

Maybe that's why Bingo night isn't just one night a week anymore.

Bingo almost qualifies as a religion in most states.

I saw that also. I wish there were standards they would have to comply with. For example, they should be able to prove that there is a heaven and a hell and that god is real, before they could sell their product on TV. But I don't think this is going to happen.

I saw that also.  I wish there were standards they would have to comply with.  For example, they should be able to prove that there is a heaven and a hell and that god is real, before they could sell their product on TV.  But I don't think this is going to happen.

Ha! There is no truth in advertizing! If advertizers had to tell the truth, American business would collapse!

My husband can offer some insight into this topic... he likes to talk about it. (He was a PR major.) Ill tell him about this thread.

I used to think that it was ridiculous and practically sinful to use modern advertising and marketing techniques to get higher attendance, but most of the churches seem sincere. As long as they are not using shady practices (of which there are few of in that industry), then it should be ok. The church has changed with time and culture (to some extent) over the centuries, and this is just part of that. Unless they become like those Christians that create their own isolated counterculture, they are in everyday society and must adapt to that.

I used to think that it was ridiculous and practically sinful to use modern advertising and marketing techniques to get higher attendance, but most of the churches seem sincere. 

I recently got a glossy professionally done brochure in the mail for a church down the street from my house. I noticed inside they advertised they were now serving complimentery Starbucks ™ coffee and Krispy Kreme ™ doghnuts at every service. I guess if Jesus or threats of hellfire can't bring them in, mocha frappachino's and bearclaws sure will :Hmm:

In the UK it is illegal for Churches to claim that they perform miracles on TV without being able to prove it clearly. You still see lots of the falling over "be healed adverts" but the word miracle is often missing. When i was in church I only got the half-truth that it is illegal to claim to perform miracles, and was not informed that if was because of a lack of evidence.

I also heard a recording of a Chrisitan TV owner being very diplolmatic and saying that "God might heal you if he chooses to" instead of the usual "you will be heald" waffle they put out.

Anyone notice how they love to distort attendance figures too? I saw an advert for a conference where they took the total attendance for each meeting over the week, and claimed that something in the region of 100,000 people attended!