Goodbye Jesus

Vanity?

MQTA

http://www.christianforums.com/t2001040-wh...14#post17886019

Post 132 has me confused.

It's funny how a question on CF will be answered than I expect on here will be.. just from the few interactions I've seen here already.

Is Vanity a Good thing? Or a bad thing? Or an illusion?

Al Pacino talks about Vanity in Devil's Advocate, I thought that was a great diatribe, probably part of the peak of the movie.

I think a big problem is people seem to have different dictionaries.

When one deconverts, do they notice a change of meaning behind the same words?

or visa versa? I dunno.

Semantics... it's all semantics. I guess the Tower of Babel even confounded the English Language, we all seem to use the same words differently.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dicti...try?id=v0023200

This link is for the definition of vanity. To be honest, the definition is highly subjective. The definition most used refers to "excessive pride". Excessive being the subjective part of that phrase.

What is excessive? It's different for every person. One man's idea of vanity may be another guy's idea of positive self-esteem. Very much a matter of opinion.

Because of the subjective nature of the definition, this word is very handy for mud-slinging politically and religiously. It can be a poorly fitted mask for envy.

Is the woman who takes time and care in her appearance vain? Depends on your point of view. Even more importantly, how that is answered depends on how you feel about your own appearance.

So in truth, the use of such a subjective label as vanity gives insight into the self perception of the person using the word. Sort of a mirrored boomerang in a way.

I think the best use of the word vanity is when it refers to a bathroom table. Nothing negative, insulting, accusatory, or labelling. Just a table.

I always thought vanity was kind of along the same lines as being shallow.

Like so many Hollywood celebs who never have to worry about what stuff costs and have all the cars and houses and useless material shit in the world.

But that is just me....

When I was a kid, vanity was basically described to me as the same thing we call self-esteem now.

Yes, folks, you go to hell if you have positive self-esteem. No wonder so many people get depressed when they are Christians.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and who you are, unless you use it to put others down and make them feel less about themselves.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and who you are, unless you use it to put others down and make them feel less about themselves.

I agree with you Asimov, yet even what I perceive as healthy self esteem... seems to contribute to us thinking we are separate from each other, and all living things. This idea of separate-ness instead of one-ness seems to have negative repercussions in our contributions, or degree thereof, to all living things, doesn't it?

I agree with you Asimov, yet even what I perceive as healthy self esteem... seems to contribute to us thinking we are separate from each other, and all living things. This idea of separate-ness instead of one-ness seems to have negative repercussions in our contributions, or degree thereof, to all living things, doesn't it?

Hence why I said unless you use it to put others down and make them feel less about themselves.