Goodbye Jesus

How Have You Been Pursuaded So Far?

Antlerman

I went with the last option :shrug:

You can't answer that, you were already "that way". :poke:

Actually I wasn't. I had many doubts from discussions on this board, and research from dialogue here has affirmed my faith. :shrug:

Actually I wasn't. I had many doubts from discussions on this board, and research from dialogue here has affirmed my faith. :shrug:

Well that just took all the fun out of this: :poke:

Honestly, from LNC? We aren't speaking clear enough then. Surely that is a better :poke: isn't it? :D

Then this is for you. The first category: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?/topic/32846-how-have-you-been-pursuaded-so-far/page__view__findpost__p__479484

The "committing one sin is as equal to committing another" is asinine. Since I don't keep the sabbath holy, I should turn myself in to the police for murder? Oh, since I don't have sex, I should be prosecuted to murdering potential babies (you know the whole shtick, a man masturbates and "spills his seed" is killing of millions of little potential people)?

Actually I wasn't. I had many doubts from discussions on this board, and research from dialogue here has affirmed my faith.

Really? Very interesting. So my charming attitude didn't sway you a bit? :HaHa:

:twitch: Oh shit! I missed that post! If I had seen it, I would have given up earlier too... damn... too many posts, too little time.

It was in that older thread I had posted in rants and replies where LNC turned it into a 20 page thread about the truth of the bible and he claimed Harry Potter was from the devil and that he had committed all ten of the ten commandments including murder and he kept ignoring everyone in the thread.

I'm guessing by he, you mean lnc was refering to Harry Potter. When exactly did HP commit adultery?

Well, HP did buy Compaq, and I've run into some real bastards from that particular union . . .

Well, HP did buy Compaq, and I've run into some real bastards from that particular union . . .

And Oracle bought Sun. Who wudda thunked that!

And Oracle bought Sun. Who wudda thunked that!

So, if JK Rowling ever wrote an eight Harry Potter book, would it be called Harry Potter And The Oracle Of The Corrupt Union?

:twitch: Oh shit! I missed that post! If I had seen it, I would have given up earlier too... damn... too many posts, too little time.

It was in that older thread I had posted in rants and replies where LNC turned it into a 20 page thread about the truth of the bible and he claimed Harry Potter was from the devil and that he had committed all ten of the ten commandments including murder and he kept ignoring everyone in the thread.

I'm guessing by he, you mean lnc was refering to Harry Potter. When exactly did HP commit adultery?

Really? I don't remember discussing Harry Potter. I have no real opinion on him or Rowling's books as I have not yet read them (no time and other books that are ahead of them on the list). I am not sure from where you got that idea. I know a lot of Christians who have read these books and find them rather benign, so I don't believe that I posted anything derogatory about Harry.

And of course he denies it but I specifically remember LNC claiming Harry Potter promoted paganism and pantheism and kids were being corrupted by their evil.

I found the thread and here are LNC's exact words from the thread

But, even if she is, and I don't know that to be the case, her books are not based upon pantheistic or panentheistic pagan beliefs of witchcraft and magic. These are not Christian beliefs. I am sorry to tell you that paganism, witchcraft, and the like are religious in nature. If you don't believe me do a little research and you will see all sorts of rituals and beliefs associated with it.
Here's the thread: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?/topic/29228-hit-and-run-xtians/ Isn't lying supposed to be a sin? Not only did LNC lie about not saying anything deragtory about Harry Potter, but he even lies about not knowing much about Harry Potter, since in this post, he brags about how much research he's done on the evils of Harry Potter.

Really? I don't remember discussing Harry Potter. I have no real opinion on him or Rowling's books as I have not yet read them (no time and other books that are ahead of them on the list). I am not sure from where you got that idea. I know a lot of Christians who have read these books and find them rather benign, so I don't believe that I posted anything derogatory about Harry.

You discussed it here: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?/topic/29228-hit-and-run-xtians/page__view__findpost__p__440450

(Hope the link works)

And I agree, you didn't say anything derogatory about Harry Potter, except that it promotes panentheistic paganism, which isn't quite true, since panentheism is not really a pagan, but rather a Gnostic, belief.

Also, nowhere in the HP books do they pray or call spirits or anything like that. Not even demons. No good or bad spirits. Only magical powers, spells, curses, and potions.

I remember my mom condemning one of the books because "it has a tree in there which eats people alive, terrible, how satanic." And I had read the book, and she was wrong. (Whopping Willow destroyed a car, but never "ate" anyone. Stupid religious propaganda to raise emotional resistance against freedom of speech. Traditional Christian tactics, which I know since I've seen it so many times during my Christian life.)

It's been a long time since I read any of LNC's stuff so arguably I may miss some information, but after all the years I spent evaluating apologist crap, I'm extremely confident that I'm right choosing option 2 :pureevil:

I'm far more attracted to the view held by people like Open_minded.

Me too Hans. It seems to me that Open-minded is honest enough to admit that religion, at root, is about the relationships between self and others. I think compassion, not cosmos, should be the study of those who are religiously inclined.

Irrelevant, I saw a lot of text from some ancient books.... Boring!!!

Are those bible books consistent? Or are the books consistent with historical material of that time? Is that ancient "knowledge" consistent with contemporary science? Or is LNCs mindset consistent? If I would have to answer one of those questions with yes, I would answer the last one.

It's fucking irrelevant! And if you think not, then go read the Bhagavad Gita and do this exegesis too. In the end you will know that whatever type of exegesis is irrelevant for living a good life, for spending a nice evening, for convincing people, for making a better beer, for caring for your loved ones, for better sex, for making the world a better place...

Exegesis can go to hell.

It's fucking irrelevant! And if you think not, then go read the Bhagavad Gita and do this exegesis too. In the end you will know that whatever type of exegesis is irrelevant for living a good life, for spending a nice evening, for convincing people, for making a better beer, for caring for your loved ones, for better sex, for making the world a better place...

I beg to differ. A serious exegetical study of the Kama Sutra could do wonders for your sex life. :wicked:

I haven't been around long enough to compare LNC's approach to past apologists, so I went with "irrelevant." When I read an LNC thread, I find myself skipping over huge chunks of text. I find it long-winded and repetitive with little substantial to offer. I'm much more interested in the side discussions that form from time to time.

Of the Xtians on the board during my time, I'm much more interested by End3, who shows a sense of humor and a willingness to relate to us as people rather than simply prospects for evangelism, and Abiyoyo, whose whole approach - bringing questions to us that would be more logically addressed by believers - I find intriguing. Is it that he trusts our opinion more?

I haven't been around long enough to compare LNC's approach to past apologists, so I went with "irrelevant." When I read an LNC thread, I find myself skipping over huge chunks of text. I find it long-winded and repetitive with little substantial to offer. I'm much more interested in the side discussions that form from time to time.

Of the Xtians on the board during my time, I'm much more interested by End3, who shows a sense of humor and a willingness to relate to us as people rather than simply prospects for evangelism, and Abiyoyo, whose whole approach - bringing questions to us that would be more logically addressed by believers - I find intriguing. Is it that he trusts our opinion more?

I get frustrated reading apologetic posts with scripture because it is just so silly. I can't get into worrying about how many thrones there are sitting around some made up critter in Revelations, or why Matthew said this or that. I'd rather discuss why Vishnu sided with Indra, who he helps in killing Vritra as recorded in the Rig Veda.

I mean, really! Why!

Otherwise you're fighting against someone that thinks the Scripture proves there is a God who wrote the scripture which is why it proves that there is a God. Sheesh.

I have essentially left the discussion of Biblical Criticism to others. I don't have the patience or the stomach for it anymore.

I beg to differ. A serious exegetical study of the Kama Sutra could do wonders for your sex life. :wicked:

Enlighten me. :-D About which text from the Kama Sutra would you offer a serious exegesis?

Simply looking at the pictures will make you piss your pants in laughter. I got a copy for my sister when she got married, but before I wrapped it up and sent it off to her, I had a look through of the book. There was a depiction of what I think was Vishnu was fingering two women (one for each hand), foot fucking two others (one for each foot), tonguing another, and vaginally fucking another.

I said that it's irrelevant. I haven't read LNC's new approach because I don't particularly care about apologetics (Xian or Athiest) anymore. I have my own personal reasons for not believing anymore and I have my own personal set of "beliefs" that are constantly changing as I grow and develop.

I'm not looking for "an answer" or "THE answer". I haven't even figured out the damn questions and neither has anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the majority on this one. I am not sure why the man persists.

Isn't LNC disobeying the words of Jesus by continuing to persist in trying to convert us like it says in Matthew 10:14?

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town.

Not just Jesus' but also Paul's.

Isn't LNC disobeying the words of Jesus by continuing to persist in trying to convert us like it says in Matthew 10:14?

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town.

But that would be true if he were directly sent by Jesus. This is for another mission, one to prove something to himself: to convince himself he's right and we're wrong.