Goodbye Jesus

Life May Have Began In Outer Space

Neon Genesis

Isn't it ironic how biblical literalists used to think we were the center of the universe until it was disproved, then it was disproved humans were not the center of life on Earth, and now our planet isn't even the center of life in the universe? Of course the YECs will insist that scientists think we evolved from a rock or some other out-date argument http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17628-found-first-amino-acid-on-a-comet.html

An amino acid has been found on a comet for the first time, a new analysis of samples from NASA's Stardust mission reveals. The discovery confirms that some of the building blocks of life were delivered to the early Earth from space.

Amino acids are crucial to life because they form the basis of proteins, the molecules that run cells. The acids form when organic, carbon-containing compounds and water are zapped with a source of energy, such as photons – a process that can take place on Earth or in space.

I've never liked panspermia. It seems like it's just a way of removing the question of abiogenesis to outer-space: it doesn't really solve anything, and hints suspiciously at infinite regression. I prefer the theories which place the origin of life on Earth right here on Earth.

That doesn't rule out the evolution of intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe. And it doesn't make us the center of everything. It just forces us to figure out how life might have emerged here, instead of positing a magical asteroid.

The discovery confirms that some of the building blocks of life were delivered to the early Earth from space.

Why does it confirm so?

I've never liked panspermia. It seems like it's just a way of removing the question of abiogenesis to outer-space: it doesn't really solve anything, and hints suspiciously at infinite regression. I prefer the theories which place the origin of life on Earth right here on Earth.

ditto

ditto

Well, you know a hell of a lot more about this than I do so I'll give you the nod. I just have one question. What if it's ultimately true? How can we limit the hypotheses at this time when we just don't know?

What if it's ultimately true? How can we limit the hypotheses at this time when we just don't know?

It could be true Vigile. And despite the many difficulties inherent in demonstrating its veracity, we may one day show it’s truth. But in my opinion most of our current serious inquiry would be best directed at trying to understand how and why life emerged indigenously on Earth. But then again, people are free to pursue whatever line of inquiry they see fit.

The Earth might have been where life originated and even traveled into space, not with a ship but jetisoned by an impact with a large asteroid, which blew the material into space. Our planet may be one of hundreds with life, it may be the last planet with life in existence, and it may be the only planet that ever had life. In all these likelihoods, there is nothing to suggest that, positively, life originated on this planet. Even evolution does not assert that life began on earth. If our own existence began because of the big bang, this would have to mean that the chances of life on other worlds is just as likely as life on our planet, and as remote. We may be the oldest life forms in the cosmos and other planets are only now beginning to evolve in the same manner in which we evolved. This would make us, god help us, the most intelligent and advanced species in the cosmos. I do not look for someone from space visiting us, but I do see a day when we go see someone else on another planet.

Whether life came from space or not, we have within ourselves, the matter of the universe and this same material can be found, and I believe it will be found someday if we keep searching space.

The Earth might have been where life originated and even traveled into space, not with a ship but jetisoned by an impact with a large asteroid, which blew the material into space. Our planet may be one of hundreds with life, it may be the last planet with life in existence, and it may be the only planet that ever had life. In all these likelihoods, there is nothing to suggest that, positively, life originated on this planet. Even evolution does not assert that life began on earth. If our own existence began because of the big bang, this would have to mean that the chances of life on other worlds is just as likely as life on our planet, and as remote. We may be the oldest life forms in the cosmos and other planets are only now beginning to evolve in the same manner in which we evolved. This would make us, god help us, the most intelligent and advanced species in the cosmos. I do not look for someone from space visiting us, but I do see a day when we go see someone else on another planet.

Whether life came from space or not, we have within ourselves, the matter of the universe and this same material can be found, and I believe it will be found someday if we keep searching space.

This is all so friggin' weird. I have some really weird ideas too, but they have to be wrong because every single astrophysicist I have communicated with thinks I'm wrong.

I have learned that 1) it is possible to understand an argument and the evidence perfectly and 2) still maintain ideas that do not accord with the majority opinion and suffer from Occam's Razor.

I'm not talking about God, just some ideas about the nature of the universe and its origins.

I really respect astrophysicists, but I can't get over the idea that - they may be missing something; and the nagging suspicion that I have an idea about what it is.

Oh well, I can live with that.

Astronomers have calculated and found planets that are earth-like, so it is highly likely there is some kind of life out there. There may even be life on other objects in this solar system; Europa may harbor some life beneath its icy surface.

It's been proven that amino acids could have formed in the hot ocean too, so I don't think this really has too much effect on abiogenesis.