Goodbye Jesus

Canadian Scientist Aims To Turn Chickens Into Dinosaurs

Neon Genesis

A Canadian scientist, Hans Larsson, is attempting to turn chickens into dinosaurs through genetics. But there's too many gaps in the fossil record! http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090825/sc_afp/canadascienceresearchpaleontologyoffbeat

After years spent hunting for the buried remains of prehistoric animals, a Canadian paleontologist now plans to manipulate chicken embryos to show he can create a dinosaur.

Hans Larsson, the Canada Research Chair in Macro Evolution at Montreal's McGill University, said he aims to develop dinosaur traits that disappeared millions of years ago in birds.

"It's a demonstration of evolution," said Larsson, who has studied bird evolution for the last 10 years.

"If I can demonstrate clearly that the potential for dinosaur anatomical development exists in birds, then it again proves that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs."

Hasn't he seen Jurassic Park?! Quick someone summon Jeff Goldblum to talk about the inevitable doom about to befall us!

Hasn't he seen Jurassic Park?! Quick someone summon Jeff Goldblum to talk about the inevitable doom about to befall us!

That's actually where the idea of this came from.
The idea for the project, Larsson said, came about during discussions with renowned American paleontologist Jack Horner, who served as technical advisor for the Jurassic Park films.

A Canadian scientist, Hans Larsson, is attempting to turn chickens into dinosaurs through genetics. But there's too many gaps in the fossil record! http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090825/sc_afp/canadascienceresearchpaleontologyoffbeat

"If I can demonstrate clearly that the potential for dinosaur anatomical development exists in birds, then it again proves that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs."

Chickens are dinosaurs (or their descendants). Pluck one, and you can't tell the difference. (Tastes like chicken)

Aren't we all related to dinosaurs - distantly?

• Super Moderator

I think I had one of those dinosaur chickens at KFC.

Would this be considered reverse bio-engineering?

I think I had one of those dinosaur chickens at KFC.

Original or extra-crispy?

I want a Triceratops. Imagine lumbering down the interstate riding one of those babies - nobody would fuck with you!

I'm not sure this is possible. I dare say it isn't possible currently, but I'm not even sure it will be possible to totally reverse engineer what we think of as a dinosaur from a bird. Genes involved in the development of some features (I can't help but think of the jaw bones for some reason, but this wouldn't be a very good example) may have been mutated beyond use. But it is an interesting idea, even if it is only partially done (hey, maybe he could recreate Archeopteryx!).

Well, I sure hope he succeeds. I, for one, have always wanted to see a real dinosaur. I would also be the first one in line at KFD ( Kentucky Fried Dinosaur).