Goodbye Jesus

Ex Pastors Blog

monkeygirl

So my ex pastors blog gets emailed to me. I was reading it and it was about how he doesn't get into the apologetic nor does he care what the "new atheist" are saying. He said he needs no evidence. He went on to quote one of his favorite theologians Stanely Hauerwas. Here is the quote.

“If you need a system of truth to support your belief in Jesus of Nazareth, worship your system, but don’t worship Jesus of Nazareth.”

Obviously this is crazy and people normally don't apply this kind of thinking or expectation to any other area of our lives. But doesn't it also make him a hypocrite if he were to think any less or someone to be delusional or wrong if they believe they are Cleopatra reincarnated, or that the Holocaust didn't occur, or they are gonna get 72 virgins when they die?

This kind of thinking seems dangerous.

So my ex pastors blog gets emailed to me. I was reading it and it was about how he doesn't get into the apologetic nor does he care what the "new atheist" are saying. He said he needs no evidence. He went on to quote one of his favorite theologians Stanely Hauerwas. Here is the quote.

“If you need a system of truth to support your belief in Jesus of Nazareth, worship your system, but don’t worship Jesus of Nazareth.”

Obviously this is crazy and people normally don't apply this kind of thinking or expectation to any other area of our lives. But doesn't it also make him a hypocrite if he were to think any less or someone to be delusional or wrong if they believe they are Cleopatra reincarnated, or that the Holocaust didn't occur, or they are gonna get 72 virgins when they die?

This kind of thinking seems dangerous.

It reminds me of the Mormons' reaction to the historical and DNA refutation of the Book of Mormon. "So?"

Beliefs trump facts in religion, and faith can mean belief in the absence of evidence, but also belief in the presence of contradictory evidence.

I like how they go from 'there's evidence everywhere' to 'evidence not required'

I seek truth so I guess that's why I don't worship imaginary friends.

I like how they go from 'there's evidence everywhere' to 'evidence not required'

There's a term for that, its called delusional. " a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact"

Circular reasoning is lost on this man. I wouldn't bother trying to reason with someone who can't understand the most basic of logic.

Someone responded to his post and called him on it, he then clarified that there is evidence for Jesus just that caring about the evidence makes you worship the evidence or something like that then he went onto say there could be no evidence and he would still have faith.