Goodbye Jesus

Pullman Condemned By Vatican

Mriana

Children's author Philip Pullman says Jesus wasn't the Son of God

Talk about trying to control people! And I thought my so-called friend was was controlling by demanding I write what she wanted. These people are really getting out of hand. As Greydon Square says, "They all need to sit down and pop some pills before they get us all killed".

Bestselling children's author Philip Pullman has provoked more anger from Christians with a new book denying that Jesus was the son of God.

Pullman has already been condemned by the Vatican for the allegorical trilogy His Dark Materials, which has been described as anti-Christian.

Earlier this year Pullman sparked controversy when he announced a boycott of school visits in protest at 'sinister' Government checks to ensure that authors are not paedophiles.

He claimed the Vetting and Barring Scheme register, which starts in October, will encourage youngsters to view everyone as potential rapists or murderers.

His Dark Materials, on which the film The Golden Compass was based, attracted criticism for promoting atheism.

The film was attacked by the Vatican for portraying 'a cold and hopeless world without God'.

Give me a break! This manipulation and control of people's thinking is getting very old.

Goodbye Jesus
The film was attacked by the Vatican for portraying 'a cold and hopeless world without God'.

Yeah, and the world with a god is warm and cozy.

Yeah, and the world with a god is warm and cozy.

:lol: Right (sarcasm)

Honestly, it's a really weak political play by the Vatican to be criticizing Pullman's movie/books; it sorta just proves Pullman's overall point. However, I am glad they made that play and I hope to see their demise before I get old and die 5-15 decades from now. I doubt I will get to see their demise during my lifetime, but it would be a historic moment for sure and one I would enjoy greatly.

I have sworn upon the Altar of Reason, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny over the mind of humanity. Or some such thing :P. I am glad Jefferson and others did what they did, the world and history since then is largely a better place for it even though we as a country have headed far south from his ideals.

Honestly, it's a really weak political play by the Vatican to be criticizing Pullman's movie/books; it sorta just proves Pullman's overall point. However, I am glad they made that play and I hope to see their demise before I get old and die 5-15 decades from now. I doubt I will get to see their demise during my lifetime, but it would be a historic moment for sure and one I would enjoy greatly.

I have sworn upon the Altar of Reason, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny over the mind of humanity. Or some such thing :P. I am glad Jefferson and others did what they did, the world and history since then is largely a better place for it even though we as a country have headed far south from his ideals.

I have started a collection of pictures of abandoned churches, but I wish I could take more time to pursue it. The number of abandoned churches across the US is growing fast, but I'm stuck here and have to work.

So many abandoned churches, so little time.

You would not know it from the looks of this city. There is a church on every corner and sometimes one right across the street from it. I have heard newcomers say when they see another church being erected, "That last thing this city needs is another church". There are people who move here and decide they want out of this city, which makes me not alone in that respect. However, the slave wages most employers pay here are not so conducive to saving up and getting out of dodge.

I have started a collection of pictures of abandoned churches, but I wish I could take more time to pursue it. The number of abandoned churches across the US is growing fast, but I'm stuck here and have to work.

From what I have seen, many church buildings go abandoned because the owners erected a newer and bigger building.

In my neck, older, draftier churches are being abandoned for smaller churches easier to maintain in storefronts and such. Also, there is a large house church movement across this and other nations.

Phanta

Admittedly there are many reasons for having abandoned churches. Moving "up" in the world, changing format, etc. I take pictures of abandoned churches for the symbolism, not the expectation of ultimate abandonment of religion.

I have also read and enjoyed Pullman's trilogy. I prefer the first two books to the last, but I still liked book number three! I think book three lacked that 'spark' of the first two for some reason. But overall I heartily enjoyed it. It was FAR better than Harry Potter at any rate (which in deathly hallows tried to inject christian apologetics and a 'christ messeage'- funnily Rowling in trying to PROMOTE her religion ended up showing a flaw in it- that it didn't make ANY sense at all plus making the hero into a sheep who followed Dumbledore like that was distinctly unsatisfying for many readers!)Ahem, anyway, Pullman will probably be pleased- not just because they are proving his point either.

Disapproval from Vatican equals MAJOR interest. Any slamming from religious bigwigs is good publicity.

In my neck, older, draftier churches are being abandoned for smaller churches easier to maintain in storefronts and such. Also, there is a large house church movement across this and other nations.

Phanta

The original churches were in homes.

I have also read and enjoyed Pullman's trilogy. I prefer the first two books to the last, but I still liked book number three! I think book three lacked that 'spark' of the first two for some reason. But overall I heartily enjoyed it. It was FAR better than Harry Potter at any rate (which in deathly hallows tried to inject christian apologetics and a 'christ messeage'- funnily Rowling in trying to PROMOTE her religion ended up showing a flaw in it- that it didn't make ANY sense at all plus making the hero into a sheep who followed Dumbledore like that was distinctly unsatisfying for many readers!)Ahem, anyway, Pullman will probably be pleased- not just because they are proving his point either.

Disapproval from Vatican equals MAJOR interest. Any slamming from religious bigwigs is good publicity.

Which is why it's good for Pullman (more books sold) and good overall; bad political plays by the Vatican benefit everyone except Catholics who listen to it, and the number of them who do listen is growing smaller everyday!!! Yay!

You'd think the Vatican would have learned from The Da Vinci Code that if they think something is offensive to just ignore it and it'll go away.

The Vatican has been banning and condemning things for centuries, apparently never understanding that they usually have the opposite of the desired effect. Why should they catch on now?

Well, they ignored Angels And Demons and it wasn't nearly as popular as The Da Vinci Code from what I've heard.

I liked his work. Xtianity does not. Tolkien was also well-respected by the xtian crowd for his trilogy but then they turned on him when the evangelistic fervor of the 1990s revolted against anything that did not have Tim LaHaye's name attached. Even The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, (which were once used to teach xtian values) has been blacklisted by the do-gooders.

The Fundies have certainly gotten nastier and nastier since the late '70's when I first got involved with fundamentalism.

Soooo, lets see if I get this right, Pullman writes books where he insinuates (strongly) that the Catholic Church is trying to control information and opinions, and the response from the Catholic Church is to condemn it in purpose to control that information and opinion? They're proving his point!

Soooo, lets see if I get this right, Pullman writes books where he insinuates (strongly) that the Catholic Church is trying to control information and opinions, and the response from the Catholic Church is to condemn it in purpose to control that information and opinion? They're proving his point!

Yep! That's right. You got it.

Two points.

1) I love Pullman's work. I think I'll buy that book when it is published. Roman Catholicism is just trying to maintain viability despite that its own membership has been hemorrhaging for the last decade or so.

2) In my neck of the world, there are plenty of small Lutheran churches that dot the landscape and they are dying out. The sad thing about it is the loss of local history. I guess I shouldn't cry for the loss of another church, but when it's a prairie church that's had consistent activity for about 150 years, I can't help but feel a twinge of sorrow for them. The majority of such congregations have a mean age of 50+ years. I guess I see the obverse perspective when it comes to a church closing. When it happens in a rural area, it is a sign that a certain way of life is dying.