Goodbye Jesus

The First Person Who Will Live To 1000

Vigile

I watched the whole video. It seemed only half serious. What I found interesting was when the one guy asked the audience "How many people want to live forever?" A scattering of hands went up tentatively. Then he asked, "How many people want to die. Not a single hand went up.

There was some interesting conversation--only half-serious--about women bearing children at age eighty (and having their period all those years). The guy presenting the theory said women could turn it on and off. Then one of the men piped up with the bright idea that it would take a lot of stress off the men if there weren't this biological deadline for women to have their babies in time.

A man clearly past the prime of his life asked if he could turn the clock back to twenty, and suddenly people began asking whether they wanted to go through puberty again. It was hilarious--periods and puberty at funny times in life just so we can be young again--or perpetually. Living forever may not be all it's cracked up to be. But putting up your hand for wanting to die...now that seemed to be another story altogether. It's going to happen and we'll face it when it does. But asking for it? Not really.

That's what I got out of it. Maybe I wasn't looking for the right things?

Not surprising really. This is the inevitable result of the Enlightenment more clearly manifested in things such as the Hippocratic Oath which was restored through the scientific discipline of Modern Medicine. This is one of several inevitable aims of Progress as envisioned by those who started the Enlightenment; modern medicine exists to keep people from becoming sick, when technology exponentiates as it has since the Industrial Revolution then the ability for Doctors to do that will also grow exponentially. If they can keep us from being sick well enough then we (Humanity) will all be as the Elves of Tolkien Lore, very soon.

Would I like that? Damn straight I would. Like he pointed out though, it wouldn't stop you from getting run over by a truck.. But yeah, Transhumanism was the point of the Egalitarian Modernist Project started long, long, ago. Science works, Religion only seems to. The Founders knew that Religion was necessary to govern the Nation but they realized it was only a temporary thing; merely a mindgame to manage the masses with. This. This is what they where really after all along... This is what those Men and Women fought and died for, this is what they birthed to us, and this is what we fight to preserve (or Conserve the Progress). This is Liberty, true Liberty. Essentially this is also a form of Survival of the Species.

This is the Big Picture.

The First Person Who Will Live To 1000...

Ya I know, but let me tell you the first 503 years have been a real bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLqLHWDg5E

Very interesting video Vigil! I don't know that I'd neccessarily want to live forever,but I think I'd just want to keep on living until I got bored with life. It'd be great if death was a choice you could make, instead of having mortality force it on you.I'm thinking at the very least I'd like to live ten thousand years.

I think I would want to live that long only if the people I loved also lived that long.

• 1 month later...
Guest xandrani

In regard to immortality, preserving the human body is futile. Why not just copy the mind (At a certain age) in to electronic form inside a computer system? We don't need an external body to live (we can just have a simulated body in virtual reality). We could have an external body existing in the 'real world' if we wanted, but it would be electro-mechanical I imagine, if we needed one at all.

In reality the resolution of brain scanning technologies is improving all the time. If we could store someone's brain as electronic data in a high enough resolution then we wouldn't be far off simulating the mind. I think this is less than 200 years off (probably less). Sadly I've missed the boat... oh well! Scanning the brain is far easier than what that guy was talking about surely!?

I've considered that idea... that'd really throw a wrench in the works of whatever moralists are in fashion by then. You could make as many copies of your own consciousness as you want. Would they all have rights?

Personally, I'd like to modify a copy of my consciousness (via a repeating 9AM to 5PM loop), and send two or three of me to work every day while I retire.

I'm pretty sure most of us will have been wiped out when Yellowstone erupts sometime in the next couple centuries, and those left won't be capable of living that long, as our technology will disappear with us.

Not surprising really. This is the inevitable result of the Enlightenment more clearly manifested in things such as the Hippocratic Oath which was restored through the scientific discipline of Modern Medicine. This is one of several inevitable aims of Progress as envisioned by those who started the Enlightenment; modern medicine exists to keep people from becoming sick, when technology exponentiates as it has since the Industrial Revolution then the ability for Doctors to do that will also grow exponentially. If they can keep us from being sick well enough then we (Humanity) will all be as the Elves of Tolkien Lore, very soon.

Would I like that? Damn straight I would. Like he pointed out though, it wouldn't stop you from getting run over by a truck.. But yeah, Transhumanism was the point of the Egalitarian Modernist Project started long, long, ago. Science works, Religion only seems to. The Founders knew that Religion was necessary to govern the Nation but they realized it was only a temporary thing; merely a mindgame to manage the masses with. This. This is what they where really after all along... This is what those Men and Women fought and died for, this is what they birthed to us, and this is what we fight to preserve (or Conserve the Progress). This is Liberty, true Liberty. Essentially this is also a form of Survival of the Species.

This is the Big Picture.

Fuck yeah!!! :woohoo: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Aside from the energy/environmental/overpopulation crisis, there are two projects that humanity needs to focus on RIGHT FUCKING NOW:

1. Expanding the human life span considerably. By fucking centuries.

2. The discovery and colonization of habitable exo-planets. In other words, interstellar expansion of the human race.

Both of these are conceivable. Both of these are doable. God dammit, let's do it!!!

Even if none of us live to see it, let us set the stage in the same way that our ignorant medieval forebears spent their working lives in the construction of the grand cathedrals that they wouldn't live to see the completion of.

This is the Big Picture.

Fuck yeah!!! :woohoo: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Aside from the energy/environmental/overpopulation crisis, there are two projects that humanity needs to focus on RIGHT FUCKING NOW:

1. Expanding the human life span considerably. By fucking centuries.

2. The discovery and colonization of habitable exo-planets. In other words, interstellar expansion of the human race.

Both of these are conceivable. Both of these are doable. God dammit, let's do it!!!

Even if none of us live to see it, let us set the stage in the same way that our ignorant medieval forebears spent their working lives in the construction of the grand cathedrals that they wouldn't live to see the completion of.

Yes those two points are crucial, and I think #2 is actually more important than #1, for tactical reasons related to the survival of our species. We really, really, really need to have a few colonies in order to ensure the survival of our species. In fact, and in all honesty, one could argue there exists a moral imperative to commit extensive funding to research and development that will enable #2 to take place immediately or as soon as possible. People are already working hard at #1 through private organizations and government organizations, but #2 is absolutely critical in my opinion.

People are already working hard at #1 through private organizations and government organizations, but #2 is absolutely critical in my opinion.

Some say that with current technological capabilities the trip to Alpha Centauri could conceivably take 25 to 50 years.

Furthermore, the discovery of a confirmed habitable earthlike planet in a nearby star system could literally happen any day now.

Tau Zero Foundation

Wiki: Interstellar Travel

People are already working hard at #1 through private organizations and government organizations, but #2 is absolutely critical in my opinion.

Some say that with current technological capabilities the trip to Alpha Centauri could conceivably take 25 to 50 years.

Furthermore, the discovery of a confirmed habitable earthlike planet in a nearby star system could literally happen any day now.

Tau Zero Foundation

Wiki: Interstellar Travel

Interesting links hmmm.