Goodbye Jesus

Meet The Woman Who Takes The Abortion Photos

I looked at the pictures and I'm still pro-choice.

If only the pro-life groups would put all their energy into educating people about contraception, maybe there would be a lot fewer unwanted pregnancies, but they don't see it that way. It's usually the same group of people who advocate "abstinence-only" sex education. You know what would actually help?

1. Put birth control despensers in the bathrooms at school starting in middle school.

2. Give out condoms like candy! Condoms should be as accessible as coke machines.

3. Demonstrate how to use a condom starting in about the 5th grade.

4. Talk freely about where to get birth control.

5. Make Plan B accessible over-the-counter in all 50 states.

6. Require birth control shots/patches/pills/IUD's for all high school girls in public school. Treat it just like required vaccinations. Or just mix it into the cafeteria's mashed potatoes and no one will be the wiser. ;)

Ya want to know what infuriates me? The fact that some protesters are too lazy to find actually pictures of these so called 'aborted babies' and just search for pics of miscarried fetuses instead. There IS a difference you know and I feel that its even more disrespectful that someone would use someone else's personal pain just to spread more hate and control. Fuck them.

6. Require birth control shots/patches/pills/IUD's for all high school girls in public school. Treat it just like required vaccinations. Or just mix it into the cafeteria's mashed potatoes and no one will be the wiser. ;)

When I was in the Army, many guys absolutely believed that the Army did this as a matter of policy. That is the army added salt peter to the food to prevent erections.

This one I would be very hesitant to accept due to the hormonal nature of most of those mentioned, given a) what I've heard about weight gain and depression that people have suffered from the Depo shot, and b ) my own experiences with a blood clot and pulmonary embolus from being on the Pill. Don't get me wrong, it should be an option, but I'd personally be awfully concerned about the risks.

When I was in college there was an antiabortion group that came and set up outside the campus cafeteria. Imagine if you will, a bill board sized image of a bloody fetus in pieces staring straight into the food court. There were plenty of pissed off students telling the group to "fuck off" with their sign cause it showed they weren't weren't there to dialog like real adults about the topic. Oh yeah, and there were bible verses scattered all over the sign too. :ugh:

When I was in the Army, many guys absolutely believed that the Army did this as a matter of policy. That is the army added salt peter to the food to prevent erections.

Rofl. I heard the same thing waaay back when when I was in Infantry OSUT down at Benning the cycle immediately after Sept 11th: that rumor spread like mad. I was like, "wtf' is saltpeter!? Turns out I didn't jerk off till something like week 7 of training, only making the rumor all the more real...rofl.

Teh Saltpeter legend! Ima have to snopes that or something.

Probably a really bad time for me to reply to this thread, but WTF.

Let's just ASSume that there were a god. And, of course, children are a blessing. Then why does god allow children to come into the world in shitty circumstances without a chance of a decent life?

1. Millions born into poverty

2. Children born into homes of people that will molest them

3. The fucking crackhead that keeps having kids

4. The Duggars

5. Kids born to parents who end up killing them

Then, let's take a happy couple that wants to provide a loving home and the means to support a child.... Gawd chooses to abort that child through a miscarriage. Once again, as I've stated many times on this site. If the god of the bible exists, I have no desire to know him EVER!!!!!!

They never show pictures like this one:

(graphic image)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exposure_photograph_5.jpg

Her name was Geraldine Santoro. She was 28 years old. She had left her abusive husband for the sake of her two girls. When she became pregnant with another man's baby, she was afraid of what her estranged husband might do to her. She and her lover, Clyde Dixon, rented a motel room in order to preform an illegal abortion. Dixon, who had no medical experience of any kind, used a textbook and some borrowed tools. When things went terribly wrong, he fled the scene, leaving her to bleed to death alone.

They never show pictures like this one:

(graphic image)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exposure_photograph_5.jpg

Her name was Geraldine Santoro. She was 28 years old. She had left her abusive husband for the sake of her two girls. When she became pregnant with another man's baby, she was afraid of what her estranged husband might do to her. She and her lover, Clyde Dixon, rented a motel room in order to preform an illegal abortion. Dixon, who had no medical experience of any kind, used a textbook and some borrowed tools. When things went terribly wrong, he fled the scene, leaving her to bleed to death alone.

As sad as this story is, I know the crazy fundies would have said that what happened to her was God's punishment for trying to take the life of her unborn baby. :ugh:

decaf, while I appreciate your sentiments, and am pro-life myself, I am very much against handing out birth control in the ways in which you're suggesting. First of all, there are many kinds of birth control pill, and what works for one person doesn't work for another. I personally had to try three different kinds until I found one that worked for me without making me ill.

Secondly, birth control pills have the potential to SERIOUSLY fuck up the reproductive system and hormonal balance in the long term. In my opinion, they should only be given as a prescription, administered by a doctor, and after exploring all the risks. Long term use has some really serious health risks, and they shouldn't be taken lightly.

It's a wonder to me how some women experience what they are growing inside them as a baby from the moment they know about it, and other women, see it as a lump of cells.

Phanta

It all depends on how you view consciousness. Consciousness depends on the development of a nervous system and this is something that happens gradually. It takes many months for the nervous system to mature. If you believe it has a "soul" I can't really counter that because I believe science in that consciousness emerges gradually over many months with the development of the nervous system.

I'm still waiting for pro-life Christians to explain to me where in the bible it says that life begins or at what point the soul enters the fetus.

Guest ephymeris

When I think of early fetal development, I think about how amazing it is. I think about how about we start out with a neural plate that turns into a "taco" and then a tube to form the basis of our spinal cord and brain stem. I think about the unbelievable process of cell differentiation that goes into high gear, giving us the beginnings of a brain and spinal cord. I appreciate the beauty of the development and growth of life and I think that is a sacred thing.

However, it's true there are phases in the development of a baby. I consider a fetus in the stages of early development to be different from a baby in it's final trimester because an early fetus does not have enough working synaptic connections for sentience. All that said, I hate abortion and I wish it was never neccessary but that is not the world we live in.

Guest ephymeris

It's a wonder to me how some women experience what they are growing inside them as a baby from the moment they know about it, and other women, see it as a lump of cells.

Phanta

It all depends on how you view consciousness. Consciousness depends on the development of a nervous system and this is something that happens gradually. It takes many months for the nervous system to mature. If you believe it has a "soul" I can't really counter that because I believe science in that consciousness emerges gradually over many months with the development of the nervous system.

Do women who don't believe in souls and miscarry in the early stages of a wanted pregnancy not grieve the loss of life, as the women I know who have miscarried in the first trimester do (who perhaps believe in souls...I'll have to ask them)?

Phanta

I'm sure women who miscarry a wanted pregnancy do grieve the loss of life. Grief is complex and a completely unique thing for each person, each situation. Losing a first trimester fetus is sad, I think I would be grieving the loss of potential and the idea of a baby regardless of my lack of belief in a soul or the developmental stage of the baby. Of course it is completely and perfectly understandable to have significant grief and loss over a miscarriage at any stage. Losing something (someone?) you desperately want is different than chosing to abort a potentially unwanted fetus conceived in terrible circumstances. I've never personally experienced either of these circumstances. I've had close friends that have and both are absolutely horrible.

Ya want to know what infuriates me? The fact that some protesters are too lazy to find actually pictures of these so called 'aborted babies' and just search for pics of miscarried fetuses instead. There IS a difference you know and I feel that its even more disrespectful that someone would use someone else's personal pain just to spread more hate and control. Fuck them.

Exactly.